Flat mate begs for $4...

Happy release to him Bon. Hope his next house/flat mate is more to his calibre and they resonate together.

It isn't about the four dollars. I'd also give it to him to leave me alone. :cool:

It's about the mind viruses and atmosphere of victimhood/blame/denial/excuses, etc that you'd have to deal with. :(

Soon you'll be free :)

Bon - I completely get where you are coming from. Some people you would bend over backward for and give you entire savings to, because you know they are trustworthy and genuine and not just looking for a handout. And then their are others (like your flatmate - and my sister incidently) who you begrudge even 50cents, because you know there is never any intention to repay it, they are looking for a handout, it is often for something non-essential (or because of their other non-essential purchases) and they have an "expectation" that you 'should' give it to them. These people are exceedingly common and unfortunately will always see themselves as the victim (heaven forbid you might actually ask for the money back).

I don't carry cash on me, so it always makes it easy to turn these people down. And even if I do have the cash, I either tell them I don't (or if they are aware I do) I tell them that I need it for something else. They soon learn not to ask me for money anymore.

Although, my sister is getting craftier in her methods of getting things out of people. Like offering to go to the shop to pick things up for others, asking them for the cash to pay for it, and then either pocketing the change or spending it on her own purchases - either way don't expect anything back. ;)

Thank goodness you're getting rid of this leech after 5 weeks.

I'd suggest carrying around basic change for the next few weeks and paying everything by EFTPOS, so you don't have any spare change if he 'asks to pinch'.

My random suggestion: In the next few days, start cooking up your own 'victim at work' stories and hinting that company is thinking about layoffs.

Then tell him you're equally 'broke as a joke' and tell him you wanna pinch $10 for petrol. If he asks you to repay it, put on a shocked look and say 'I have to pay it back?'. Remind him of all the times you've helped him out. Repeat 'victim at work' story. :p

rugrat, I'm fortunate nobody in my family are like this... It's nothing to live with a drop kick for 6 months than have someone like that in your life forever.

lol Mazda, not worth the time and effort of creative thinking when I can focus my energies elsewhere that make me much more cash. I happily changed the password to my wifi Internet before and told him no when he asked for the new one. I'll happily tell him no next time he asks for money.

Last time someone asked me for $4 was last week it was a junkie outside the pharmacy, sound possible :eek:

Last time for me, I was actually putting my $4 (or thereabouts) into a parking meter, and some guy asked if he could use it to catch the train. I said "and then where will I park?" Freakin' weirdos.

I think you'd be 'helping out' your flatmate by not giving him any money.

In Sydney recently and stayed at my former neighbours house, nice lady but husband just left her and the kids. She asked if she could borrow $1,200 until her new boyfriend turns up from the UK. No problem, my wife tells me she's always good for her loans.

Come back to Brisbane and boyfriend never turned up and now she can't even pay the rent at the new unit she's in and she's thinking of taking the kids back to Canada. My wife asks if she can just pay back $500 now and more later. No can do. Too broke.

Might not see that $1,200 again. Irks me a bit, but that's life. Not much I can do about it now. Might see if she can do it in $100 instalments. Still $4 and $1,200 is a bit chalk and cheese...

Cheers,
Mike

BON does your mate have an addiction, the last time i needed $4 i blew all my $$ at the pub, thank goodness these days are behind me ,

My attitude to this stuff is simple.
Never give any money as loan if your expecting it to be paid back.
Once you hand it over it gone. Anything you get back is a bonus and more than you should expect.
In other words if you would'nt give a person that money outright, then don't even bother loaning it.

My attitude to this stuff is simple.
Never give any money as loan if your expecting it to be paid back.
Once you hand it over it gone. Anything you get back is a bonus and more than you should expect.
In other words if you would'nt give a person that money outright, then don't even bother loaning it.

You should start a bank, i'd be very happy to lend from you :rolleyes:

Back