Useless banks

I actually agree with what you guys are saying but, firstly she is overseas, and I would hate to imagine waiting 20 mins at $3 per minute on the phone,

secondly, I asked for them to send her the account details via the email registered on her account, which they refuse to,

I have looked through her mail (yes I broke a law) and there is no mail from the bank saying her account details, also I wouldnt suspect a BSB to be much of a security/privacy issue

there is so much a consumer needs to reasonably to do to actually pay someone.

if you went to a restaurant, and the manager said, oh' we've closed the till for tonight, can you come back tomorrow and pay for it? what % do you think will actually pay?

I've been in arrears with plenty of money in my accounts.

Last loan with St George, no payments get taken for over a month, so I ring the bank to query it. No problem, they say, we'll set up the regular payment now, all sorted.

No payment next month, now I'm getting hassled by their debt collection team. I tell them the story, happy to pay, plenty of money, rang the bank, and their response was that I needed to do a bunch of running around. So I told them that no, I'd advised the bank, and if they couldn't get their **** together and arrange a simple payment, that's their problem not mine. I then asked the guy for his name so I report the whole incident to the banking ombudsman, and suddely the issues was magically fixed!

Hopeless.

if you went to a restaurant, and the manager said, oh' we've closed the till for tonight, can you come back tomorrow and pay for it? what % do you think will actually pay?

I once walked out of a restuarant without paying by mistake. I went back two days later to apologise and settle the bill, and the manager was stunned that I had come back.

I once walked out of a restuarant without paying by mistake. I went back two days later to apologise and settle the bill, and the manager was stunned that I had come back.

yeah, its a case of trust and self respect.

I have a friend whose family got solar installed, like 20 years ago, the bill being $5-$9k,
they called the company every fortnight for 6 months, and were told we will bill you,

bill never came!

as for the restaurant, if you were offering eat now pay later, it wouldnt surpirse me if the amount of people who paid was less then 25%

Who set his loan up with ANZ?

If it was a broker go to him for assitance, if it was direct with a banker go to him... either one should be able to resolve your issue pretty easy.

I was for a new interviewing MB once and one of the MBs was obsessed with ANZ. I asked him to leave.

While it's theraputic for TMNT to vent, what are some things that should have been done to make the whole process easier?

I'm with AMP and all my IP loans are paid from my offset account. To stop this happening you need to complete a form and lodge it with the bank. I did this at the start and have had no problems with a single payment in nearly 3 years.

These stories seem to relate to new loans so either: the paperwork wasn't lodged, the paperwork was lodged and "lost", the paperwork was lodged and not processed or the paperwork was lodged and was incorrect.

What I did differently was that I made sure the first payments all came out the day after they were supposed to. If it hadn't worked, I would have called the bank the next day. I don't trust any bank enough to set up a loan and then go overseas!

as for the restaurant, if you were offering eat now pay later, it wouldnt surpirse me if the amount of people who paid was less then 25%

I recall reading an article years ago about a small restaurant that actually did this. They asked people to pay based on what they felt the food and service were worth.

According to the article they found that people paid an average of 25% more than they would have charged. Most people are actually fairly honest.

The 0.1% or less who defraud are to blame for the massive inconvenience they put the other 99.9% of the population through.

As with almost everything in society, the few spoil it for the many.

next time you will keep a copy of your signed direct debit agreement with the account and BSB numbers on it, so you can verify it for yourself.

NB, I have never seen any paperwork (apart from the original direct debit form) show the details of the account being debited. SO there is no use going through your mums mail now.

Most lenders let you change that account by a simple phonecall, some require a signed letter/fax.

I don't know if it's possible to get your Mum to send you a signed power of attorney authorising you to enquire on the account on her behalf.

Based on experience, I'm going to ask my daughters to give me complete power of attorney for banks, phones etc on their behalf the next time they take an extended overseas trip. It just gets so difficult otherwise.

I don't know if it's possible to get your Mum to send you a signed power of attorney authorising you to enquire on the account on her behalf.

Based on experience, I'm going to ask my daughters to give me complete power of attorney for banks, phones etc on their behalf the next time they take an extended overseas trip. It just gets so difficult otherwise.

20,001 posts - you are a champion! :D

omg deja vu

My mother has a new small investment loan of about $80 per week repayments,

she is overseas for 3 months, and we got a letter that her payment had bounced, when she has plenty of $$$ in there,

On the letter it said "you are in arrears of $X, please put it into account number YYYY" (no bsb)

a few days later, I get a phone call, asking for her, I told her she is not here as they wouldnt tell me who they were plus they were calling from a private number

after 4 calls per day on the weekend, I forced it out of them who they were.

I told them, I Know its about the arrears, on the letter it says please pay account number, but no bsb, she hasnt got any login details nor any statements since its a new loan, we have another loan with you guys, is it the same bsb???

"oh sorry, due to privacy we cant disclose it"

"well go away then"

next weekend, after a few private calls, same questions again, in the meantime, I asked my mother, who said she doesnt have any idea of the account let alone, bsb detaisl,
"can we speak to mrs TMNT,?
"um no, she is overseas for 3 months"
"can we speak to her?"
"which part of overseas for 3 months do you not understand?"
"look, I just need the BSB number?"
"oh we cant give that info out to a 3rd party"
"ok, can you email her the account details so that she knows where to pay it too"
"oh sorry, we dont send emails out"
"well stop wasting my time, and dont contact me again on this matter, if you cant even inform a customer of the account details to make a payment to you, let alone send out an email"
"When will she be back?"
"Click!"

I HATE ANZ

Try ANZ private bank, you'll spew blood.

My bank didn't link the offset account properly, and overcharged a couple of grand interest. I realized the next month and went to the branch to rectify it. They said it would take 3 days. Five visits and 3 weeks later, they presented a letter which showed about half of what should have been reimbursed.

I had to show them how to do the offset calculation correctly. I said you're a bloody bank... And I have to show you how to calculate this??!!!!

Pretty sad state of affairs when the guy has to stunned when someone comes back to pay an unpaid bill.

Well done, human race.

Back