Flight information

Good point, Geoff, and, in your specific case, I'm surprised there wasn't more accommodation on the part of the airline. They all need to realise that hiccups happen from time to time, and life is not always straightforward. At the very least, I would expect a refund in your situation... the least they could have done.

On our last Virgin flight passengers were told to turn off mobile phones, laptops and washing machines!! We were also told there were cameras in the toilets to catch out any smokers. I'm a real fan of Virgin and I love their friendly and fun loving attitude.
Someone told me that the reason Jetstar have strict boarding times is because the booking staff also put the baggage on the plane- hmmmmm.

Dose

Jacque said:
Good point, Geoff, and, in your specific case, I'm surprised there wasn't more accommodation on the part of the airline. They all need to realise that hiccups happen from time to time, and life is not always straightforward. At the very least, I would expect a refund in your situation... the least they could have done.
Not even a chance of a refund- they pointed out their fine print, which covers all possibilities apparently (I had to take their word, I was in too big a rush to change airlines).

When I flew down to Melb on Jetstar I hit the queue with 40 min to spare - got to the lady 12 minutes later. She let me on but only after I sat through a stern and rather patronising lecture from her. Seems slow processing on their part is not an excuse for being 2 min late. She was South African - and one of those South Africans with no sense of humour.

I wrote to the airline and got a fairly standard form letter saying she would be counselled on her customer interaction. Wonder if it happened.

We were diverted to Avalon in Geelong and had to wait an hour for a bus to Melbourne. Incredibly disorganised - we sat on the bus for another hour as the driver didn't know if he was allowed to go or not.

I will be flying Virgin before I use Jetstar again.

Cheers,

Fair enough, they have their rules.
They now have one customer who will never fly with them again, and I'm sure this isn't the only instance of this occurring.
Those unhappy customers will tell their friends, who will tell their friends.... maybe being rigid makes the bean counters happy, but if it upsets their customers, very soon there won't BE any customers.

OnTime Performace % JetStar vs Virgin (from respective web pages)
JS VB
June 86 vs 82
July 90 vs 77
Aug 90 vs 88
Sep 91 vs 86
Oct 95 vs 90

Maybe there is something in the strict boarding policy with Jetstar.

Have flown with both and like the fun attitude with Virgin Blue and hate the no seat allocation policy with Jetstar, but have no problems flying with either of them.

Simon said:
We were diverted to Avalon in Geelong and had to wait an hour for a bus to Melbourne. Incredibly disorganised - we sat on the bus for another hour as the driver didn't know if he was allowed to go or not.

I thought all Jetstar flights in Melbourne flew via Avalon ?

mmm... now that I check, I take it you were on a flight from Newcastle ? Sydney flights only go to Avalon - seems Newcastle flights go to Tullamarine.

Makes sense, Qantas don't want to hurt their premium SYD-MEL leg with cheap Jetstar rates.

Not your average Juan...

On a return trip from Auckland earlier this year, to the amusement of all onboard, the male voice on the loud speaker announced:

"Ladies and Gentlement we will be landing at Melbourne Airport in approximately 15 minutes. On behalf of the staff and crew, this is your co pilot Juan Pastard thanking you for choosing to fly with Air New Zealand...."

To this day, I still remember the mystified and bemused look on passengers faces as they turned to each other and asked "did he just say......???" :D

Anyone come across this "Pastard" in their travels?? :cool:

Jo

Baloo said:
While preparing to land on my last Virgin flight the Chief Cabin Steward informed everyone that no one was to levae their seats until the plane came to a complete stop. Anyone who leaves their seat before then will be required to stay back and help clean the aircraft.

Lots of chuckles all round but very effective. No one moved until the Steward gave her permission.

On landing in Melbourne after flying back from last SIG Meeting on Virgin:
"Please make sure you take all your belongings with you. All unwanted spouses will be returned to you...."

Cheers,
The Y-man

Monopoly said:
On a return trip from Auckland earlier this year, to the amusement of all onboard, the male voice on the loud speaker announced:

"Ladies and Gentlement we will be landing at Melbourne Airport in approximately 15 minutes. On behalf of the staff and crew, this is your co pilot Juan Pastard thanking you for choosing to fly with Air New Zealand...."

To this day, I still remember the mystified and bemused look on passengers faces as they turned to each other and asked "did he just say......???" :D

Anyone come across this "Pastard" in their travels?? :cool:

Jo

Reminds me of the emails doing the rounds a few years ago, where a couple of guys played pranks over the P.A. in the terminal at Heathrow... you can have a listen here: Airport announcements

Jamie :)

I too would have thought it a prank had we not been flying thousands of feet in the air!!! :p

However, greeting the crew upon exiting the plane, flight staff did confirm that the gentleman in question was indeed unfortunate enough to be so named, and that all too often they were asked the very same question by passengers prior to disembarking the craft.

BTW...thanks for the link; too funny!!! :p

Jo

Last edited:
My fav Virgin announcement, which I've heard a couple of times is related to the life jacket

"there is a mouthpiece to inflate the jacket and a light for attracting sharks."

mmm, reassuring!

Pen

geoffw said:
They wouldn't have to be called "Virgin" then.

Hooker Airlines perhaps?

geoffw

Not so, President Bill Clinton explained at length that providing such assistance does not constitute having 'sexual relations'. Bill was emphatic that he did not 'have sex' with Monica. Monica was just being friendly and displayed initiative. :)

Of course Hillary might not agree, but that's another story.

Lplate

pennyk said:
My fav Virgin announcement, which I've heard a couple of times is related to the life jacket

"there is a mouthpiece to inflate the jacket and a light for attracting sharks."

mmm, reassuring!

Biggest joke on an aircraft ? Life jackets. Could also be used as a definition of "extreme optimism" :rolleyes:

Sorry, but none of the airplanes that Qantas, Virgin Blue and Jetstar use, are designed to land on water ... and any such plane attempting to do so will almost certainly break up on impact. Doesn't mean you won't survive (and a life jacket would come in handy if you do), but it's a bit unlikely.

I know this is a depressing subject, but as a professional traveller, I would be foolish to kid myself about these things. One more reason I prefer to travel Qantas (not that they are perfect, but they are still regarded as one of the worlds safest airlines).

Lplate said:
geoffw

Not so, President Bill Clinton explained at length that providing such assistance does not constitute having 'sexual relations'. Bill was emphatic that he did not 'have sex' with Monica. Monica was just being friendly and displayed initiative. :)

Of course Hillary might not agree, but that's another story.

Lplate
Monica voted Republican this time........ Dems left a sour taste in her mouth Boom Boom!

I used to fly Virgin all the time but i thought why not give JetStuff a shot and check out their service

The first time i flew with Jetstar i paid for full price and not discounted flights
the flight was delay for over 4 hrs on the return trip from Gold Coast
that is not all they lost over 50 people's baggage
that includes mine as well
My baggage was delivered about 2 months later
that will be the last time i will be on Jetstar again

I even created a new slogan for them and all of us (over 100 people waiting follow the new slogan)
JetStuff JetStuff
Guarantee To Stuff You Up

the second slogan i add it in with the other 50 people waiting in the que for another hour at the lost baggage counter
And Even Lost Your Baggage
If Not We Will Refund Your Money If We Don't

I fly with Virgin and even if the flight takes off at 6:30am and i arrived at 6:25am they still let me through
i lost count of the number of times they let me through
They are the best that i have fly with besides Singapore Airlines

Regards
Jerry

Flew Jetstar for the 2nd time this weekend.
Wow they really are ruthless with trying to get the flights off on time.
First time I ever had my name paged over the airport loudspeaker.. just got to the gate with a few seconds before they were about to close the doors
(still 15 mins before departure).

Coming home got to the airport with heaps of time (got the blue boarding pass in order to get on early and get a decent seat).
They closed the flight spot on 30 mins before departure and the plane had left the gate about 6 mins before the scheduled time.
Arrived in Syd 15 mins ahead of schedule.

Back