forfeit of deposit???

I am not sure he is wrong. As has been said before, you haven't reached settlement yet so if you pull out now I think you would definitely forfeit your deposit. And as Aaron_C has said, in property law you can only enforce specific performance - i.e. force the seller to complete the contract as agreed. You would then be entitled to sue for damages but you can't just pull out and expect to get you deposit back.

we are giving the default notice and hope for the tenants to still being in the house for the 14 days after that so the contract will then be done and dusted. :)

would the vendor need to still pay the estate agent if the sale doesn't go ahead?

they've been served with a default notice and now the conveyancer is saying they are prepared to take it to court.

would the vendor need to still pay the estate agent if the sale doesn't go ahead?

they've been served with a default notice and now the conveyancer is saying they are prepared to take it to court.

Probably. Agent sales agreements are usually worded so that commission is payable if contracts are exchange.

Melbourne

In Victoria, a solicitor must discuss fees with you before doing any work. It is very unusual for them to forget, because it means the client can get out of paying them. Are you SURE no fee estimate was given?

Perhaps you don't express yourself very well in writing, but your posts in this thread give the impression of someone who is very difficult to get along with, clues being: your lawyer won't take your calls, you don't have a trusting relationship with your conveyancer, you want to extract compensation for a situation that hasn't really impacted you all that negatively (and could actually be construed as a bonus by a person who hasn't actually sold their house).

With your current attitude, I can see this whole situation turning into a giant screw-up where you lose the property or your deposit, is what I'm saying. So heed the earlier advice to chill out and act rationally.

In Victoria, a solicitor must discuss fees with you before doing any work. It is very unusual for them to forget, because it means the client can get out of paying them. Are you SURE no fee estimate was given?

Usually if the fees will be over a certain amount - about $700.

Yes, quite right

There is an exemption where costs are expected to be low (I think it's closer to $800 now), but in my experience (I used to be a solicitor), solicitors don't rely on the exemption because the fees so quickly add up, and it's not good practice.

Perhaps you don't express yourself very well in writing, but your posts in this thread give the impression of someone who is very difficult to get along with, clues being: your lawyer won't take your calls, you don't have a trusting relationship with your conveyancer, you want to extract compensation for a situation that hasn't really impacted you all that negatively (and could actually be construed as a bonus by a person who hasn't actually sold their house).

With your current attitude, I can see this whole situation turning into a giant screw-up where you lose the property or your deposit, is what I'm saying. So heed the earlier advice to chill out and act rationally.

1 - the lawyer i've contacted was for advice and no he didnt specify ANY rates whatsoever, he gave me advice within 2 days plus an "opinion" and then an invoice comes through for $500.00. Tried to call him various times with him not being in the office or being on another call. If i have a problem with an invoice, id like to discuss it.
2 - i want compensation because if i was thevendor, i'd be in the *****.
3 - i wont lose my deposit because im not the one backing out and not respecting what the contract clearly states (vacant possession).
the default notice will be issued today so we have 14 days to get this **** sorted.
4 - how would you feel? and whats the point of having a contract if it gets broken? what if i was the vendor doing this on the purchaser? a contract is there so that both parties agree to it, they both decide on a setllement date and protects both us and the vendor, right? Whether i've sold my house or not, its irrelevant. For all i know, my house isn't even on the market.
We are not doing any favours to ANYONE. Read the contract.

1 - the lawyer i've contacted was for advice and no he didnt specify ANY rates whatsoever, he gave me advice within 2 days plus an "opinion" and then an invoice comes through for $500.00. Tried to call him various times with him not being in the office or being on another call. If i have a problem with an invoice, id like to discuss it..

Perhaps it would cost him more than $500 in time to discuss it with you, and he is very busy, so not worth his effort ... if you don't pay he'll just hand it to his debt collectors.

2 - i want compensation because if i was thevendor, i'd be in the *****..

Only if you had an unreasonable purchaser

3 - i wont lose my deposit because im not the one backing out and not respecting what the contract clearly states (vacant possession).
the default notice will be issued today so we have 14 days to get this **** sorted..

That's what the clauses in the contract are for - like paying 10%pa interest if unable to settle on time. Doesn't mean you can necessarily back out or recind

4 - how would you feel? .

Annoyed - but if it wasn't vital that I settle immediately (say, if I was moving house) then I would be rather happy with a 10%pa return until settlement.

and whats the point of having a contract if it gets broken? .

Contract hasn't been broken - that's what the delayed settlement clauses are in the contract for. Often the shoe is on the other foot when the banks stuff up (like losing paperwork multiple times as has happened to myself) and the purchaser needs to delay settlement for a period. Doesn't mean the contract is broken. It's called life.

Sure the vendor made a dumb move - or maybe their property manager did without the vendors knowledge - but hey, we're all human and it's nice to make an effort to get along.

what if i was the vendor doing this on the purchaser?.

I think you mean "purcahser doing this on a vendor". As above

a contract is there so that both parties agree to it, they both decide on a setllement date and protects both us and the vendor, right? .

Sure - but sometimes other things get in the way - usually banks, or reluctant to vacate tenants.

Whether i've sold my house or not, its irrelevant. For all i know, my house isn't even on the market.

Yes - is irrelevant - but is also an advantage to you from what you've said previous.

Chill and relax. This sort of thing will happen many many times over your investing career. Not worth getting worked up about. The world is not out to get you. The vendors are not your enemy. No one is going to get hurt of killed in this process. You are entitled to 10%pa daily compensation which is probably higher than your rent return. Let the legal guys sort it out and start looking for your next IP.

Last edited:
Perhaps it would cost him more than $500 in time to discuss it with you, and he is very busy, so not worth his effort ... if you don't pay he'll just hand it to his debt collectors.

Only if you had an unreasonable purchaser

That's what the clauses in the contract are for - like paying 10%pa interest if unable to settle on time. Doesn't mean you can necessarily back out or recind

Annoyed - but if it wasn't vital that I settle immediately (say, if I was moving house) then I would be rather happy with a 10%pa return until settlement.

Contract hasn't been broken - that's what the delayed settlement clauses are in the contract for. Often the shoe is on the other foot when the banks stuff up (like losing paperwork multiple times as has happened to myself) and the purchaser needs to delay settlement for a period. Doesn't mean the contract is broken. It's called life.

Sure the vendor made a dumb move - or maybe their property manager did without the vendors knowledge - but hey, we're all human and it's nice to make an effort to get along.

I think you mean "purcahser doing this on a vendor". As above

Sure - but sometimes other things get in the way - usually banks, or reluctant to vacate tenants.

Yes - is irrelevant - but is also an advantage to you from what you've said previous.

Chill and relax. This sort of thing will happen many many times over your investing career. Not worth getting worked up about. The world is not out to get you. The vendors are not your enemy. No one is going to get hurt of killed in this process. You are entitled to 10%pa daily compensation which is probably higher than your rent return. Let the legal guys sort it out and start looking for your next IP.

well, the default notice has been served and one has been received too. :)
apparently the vendor states that we agreed to amend the contract to remove the option of "vacant possession". hilarious.

So im off to get a lawyer.

Sounds like the vendor is now being stupid ... if it's not in writing on the contract then there is no agreement. What a goose.

Does your conveyancer not have the ability to deal with this? I know mine does - and a lot cheaper than $500/hr.

This thread is going to get interesting.

watchdrama8jm.gif

But then it just becomes a "he said/she said". How would that hold up in court?

I'm still a big advocate of chilling out, and just simply playing the contract to the letter ie, don't settle until vacant and take the 10% penalities, rather than these threats and counter threats.

Sounds like it's starting to become a "push and shove" contest rather than an unemotional business agreement of sale/purchase

well, a proposal will be given to the vendor today.

Go ahead with settlement with a 2 weeks delay (rather then settling right on the day the tenants are supposed to have their lease ending, just in case).

i think ita a pretty good deal. but what do i know. the vendor is a douche

Back