Forgein Buyers Again

Thought these stats were interesting, according to a recent report from NAB, during the last quarter...

Foreign buyers accounted for:

? 32.5% of new property sales in Victoria
? 14.8% of all new property sales nationally

I would have expected Syd to have highest %?? Not so according to NAB.

MTR:)

1/3 Victorian properties were bought by overseas investors, I thought there was some cap on what oversea investment is allowed, or am I mistaken?

I am guessing the majority of these purchases were multi-residential apartments

i think the same report showed that 55% of all foreign buyers bought apartments too.

kinda throws the bearish/xenophobic argument that foreign investment is driving up land and house prices.

I think if the foreign investors want to soak up the excessive imminent oversupply of apartments emerging in several capital cities in Australia, then this might not be such a bad thing. The question is; what do the investors do with the units? Are they vacant nine months of the year and not actually helping housing shortage problems? IMHO we ought to make s rule that all buyers (foreign and local alike) who buy a property as an investment should have to rent it out to via a formal lease for a minimum of 9 months of a financial year (or something similar). Nothing more depressing than seeing these sparkling new unit towers with not a single light on in the evenings z even though construction was finished a year ago...

1/3 Victorian properties were bought by overseas investors, I thought there was some cap on what oversea investment is allowed, or am I mistaken?

Generally foreign buyers can't (legally) buy established properties. Pre-GFC developers could only sell 50% of new-build schemes to foreign buyers but to keep things moving this limit was abolished and has never been reinstated. http://www.firb.gov.au/content/real_estate/residential.asp

i think the same report showed that 55% of all foreign buyers bought apartments too.

kinda throws the bearish/xenophobic argument that foreign investment is driving up land and house prices.
It doesn't when you consider:

That still leaves 45% that didn't buy apartments.

Temporary residents (greater than 12 months) can buy land and established homes.

Temporary residents may purchase property with money from family members who aren't otherwise eligible.

Foreign investors buying new apartments might squeeze local money out and into established homes or land.

Foreign investors can buy land (with approval) if they build on it within a short period of time.

Some foreign investors may break the law and purchase established homes regardless or ignorant of current laws. Recent parliamentary inquiry suggests that current laws are not being appropriately enforced.

Foreign investors aren't the only contributor to rising prices in Sydney / Melbourne, but you can hardly dismiss their involvement...

Heard on the radio last week they were introducing a cap on foreign investment under 15mill needing approval as opposed to 252mill, effective March.

Its evident to the joe blow in the street what influence foreign buyers are having in the residential market. However, in the commerical market they have been quietly buying out office towers across major cities, even our favourite nightclubs we used to frequent as young teens. Look at the Metro in Melbourne - Chinese, Prince of Wales - Chinese, a company search and you will find one of the directors is a young fella but there are usually backers and they try to hide their identity.

For Resi sales, the FIRB is a joke, chinese buyers are ignoring the rules, no one has been fined and if they do the capital growth they have achieved has covered the fine in any case.

A huge concern is agribusiness, over the last 10 years, I have seen many agricultural and particularly dairy farms snapped up by the chinese, with no barriers, they just buy. These are large chunks of land, and they can just go in, with no restriction. Aussie agribusiness managers will not pay what they pay and the chinese for example have some theories about our cows and how they produce milk so around Gippsland for example, they snap up the dairy farms and make those cows work hard.

This will definately have a long term effect on Australia, particularly with the FTA, with all the apartment towers they build = they can bring chinese workers without visa restrictions, same as regional australia with the farms - how will this impact employment and economic growth in the long term?

Its a catch 22 as if was not for the chinese we probably would have been eating bread and water in a recession for the last 5 years but now, we will see the lasting effect of reliance on the chinese. They have done the same thing to the USA where, if the US was to go to war with China, they would have to borrow money off china to fund the conflict - yes a joke but true.

Cheers Ivan

I don't think there are limits on foreign buyers buying new houses/apartments? Not that I'd want to buy any. Leave the OTP with the foreign buyers.

Its a catch 22 as if was not for the chinese we probably would have been eating bread and water in a recession for the last 5 years but now, we will see the lasting effect of reliance on the chinese. They have done the same thing to the USA where, if the US was to go to war with China, they would have to borrow money off china to fund the conflict - yes a joke but true.

Cheers Ivan

I'd think the US is playing it much smarter. The Chinese 'own' things in the US, but what are they really going to do in a war? They can't exactly go to the US and claim 'ownership'.

As for the other 'economic' problem of China being the US's biggest debt holder. Debt holder of what? Pieces of paper that the US prints. It can print US$4 trillion and pay China back tomorrow, and ban them from using the same dollars to buy anything in the US, and what exactly would they do about it? In fact they wouldn't even go that far, they'll just default the debt.

People get too hung up about economics. Don't forget, your own country controls its own currency. Short of money? Print more.

Obviously there's a whole range of economic theory reasons (eg hyperinflation, credit risk etc) about why it's not that simple, but all these reasons fall in the face of war.

Thank god; I thought it was just us evil local LL's who were responsible for these horribly overpriced houses that the young ones can't afford.

How many LL's here have paid $5k0-100k over asking price?

I thought so.

The number of Significant Investor Visas granted by the Federal Government has surged five-fold in the past 12 months.

The latest figures reveal 651 visas have been granted since the scheme started in late 2012, up from 120 approved as of 12 months earlier.

Often referred to as the "golden ticket" visa, the scheme gives Australian residency to foreign applicants willing to spend at least $5 million on complying investments. After four years visa holders are eligible for permanent residency.

While overseas buyers are typically only allowed to buy new properties in Australia, those who hold this visa are permitted to buy existing stock.

http://news.domain.com.au/domain/re...rease-fivefold-in-a-year-20150220-13kkzr.html

Love the quote from Senator CASH $$$$$$$$$$ "The government is committed to further success of Australia's investor visa program", I bet they are. By means of comparison the equivalent program in the states (EB5) requires $500k.

However, my understanding is that they cannot invest in direct property (unless something has changed) however they creates structures (private companies) to invest in real estate which is pretty bloody easy since the govt is not monitoring what the end investment is.

Cheers Ivan

New tax - not a lot, admittedly - announced today:

"... Under the changes, foreign investors will face a hurdle that will not apply to Australian buyers: a $5,000 application fee to buy a residential property under $1m. For properties over $1m, it will be $10,000 for every extra million dollars in the purchase price.

Anyone breaking the law will be fined up to 25% of the value of the property and forced to sell it. ...
"

http://www.theguardian.com/business...an-real-estate-to-face-tougher-rules-and-fees

Some foreign investors may break the law and purchase established homes regardless or ignorant of current laws. Recent parliamentary inquiry suggests that current laws are not being appropriately enforced.

This is precisely why the figures aren't indicative of the truth and are higher. At the moment there is no onus on selling agents (or their vendors) to check credentials or residency status... also keeping in mind that no foreign buyer has been prosecuted in the last 8 years for breaking FIRB rules!

Buyers of established housing in Australia should be providing proof of citizenship/residency, with selling agents required to follow up at the point of sale and solicitors/conveyancers required to check-off and report breaches at settlement. The trouble is that it isn't happening because FIRB is seen as a toothless tiger (and obviously underfunded) and foreign buyers are taking advantage of this. As BAs we require proof before searching for clients otherwise we don't take them on. Selling agents and their reps unfortunately aren't all following the same processes. Changes afoot however so let's hope they're successful in targeting this growing problem.

Back