Forum LIVE! at SIG : Tuesday 20th September

Still plenty of time to sign up.

We are probably at 35 with another 35 to go.

More stories of the panel members coming up.

Peter 147

me 2

I would love to attend. I’ve juggled my TAFE night. Please put me down for two. I have been lurking for ages so look forward to being a LIVE formite!

Profile: Joanna K

Hello All

Another of the panel for next weeks SIG Fourm LIVE is Joanna K. Her background printed with her permission:

Interests: Good food, good wine, good conversation

Biography: That which separates those individuals who treap positive fruits from their seeming liabilities from those defeated by such liabilities lies in their ability to endure while learning to utilise said liabilities as the vehicle that shapes their success

Investing Specialities: Business, property development, build and hold

User Title: Moderator

As you have read, Joanna has "real hand on" experience in developing in Sydney.

With her husband they work as a team and have built the business and income up from scratch. Originally starting with dual occupancies they are about to commence one of the largest ever commercial/residential complexes in central Wollongong.

Anyone interested in moving from pur IP to property investment would find her feedback of value IMHO.

Regards,

Peter 147
SIG Coordinator

Profile: Handy Andy

Here is another profile of the speakers! I personally hope I can make it ( baby due anytime) as Andreas story is inspiring and a classic example of why a JOB is no level of security.

read on, Peter 147

Handle: Handyandy

Interests: investing and tax minimisation, tropical fish, travelling for a reason , live in general

Occupation: Company CEO been operating computer service company for last 11 years ceasing operation at end of Sept as have lost contract

Investing Specialities: Business, renovating to hold, SMSF

Aim: Back in 1980 was to be a millionaire. Now to have a million dollar income per year

History: Immigrant from Holland arrived in 1965 at age 10. One of 8 kids so not a pampered childhood. No investment experience in the family.

We bought our first house in '79, worked for same company for 10 years company closed down computer bureau was retrenced with nice handshake in '85 so bought our first investment property.Went overseas for 1.5 years came back with more money bought another investment property. So through '87+ boom we had 3 properties.

Early '93 got my hands on more money so bought another investment property. This one had potential for full blown granny flat, turned into a 3br,2b house and 2br,1b flat.

'94 landed contract to supply booking system. Mortgaged everything to start up company.

Mid '95 paid out all money effectively debt free. Bought a new PPOR then Bought a 400sqm factory unit (includes 70sqm office) and move business to own premises.

'97 bought block of 7 units, '98 block of 6 units, '99 block of 15 units, '00 block of 9 units. Bought a further 6 individual units during this time.

'02 bought 3 townhouses

All properties are in Sydney.

In addition to property we have a substantial investment in shares through our SMSF, also directly and through managed funds.

We build value by renovating and do the unit renovation to a formula, costs $8-10k per unit which means total gutting and reinstall kitchen, bathroom, flooring, paint etc.We have renovated about 30 units to date.

One of the blocks

http://www.somersoft.com/forums/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=626&password=&sort=1&cat=500&page=1

Will be looking for new property investments when I feel the time is right again.

Ani's Story or the "never to late to start" story

Another of our presenters is Ani.

Ani is a well-known and respected Forumite who with RossV was running SIG before my coup d'état. :rolleyes:

Her's is very good as it shows that even in the last few years you can achieve great results with strategy, plan, and application.

Regards, Peter 147

Mine is the "never to late to start" story

I did own a house in NZ with my mother but didn't know enough then to take the equity out and buy more. And I didn't have a clue about using the equity in Australia.....

My first property in Australia was a unit in inner city Sydney purchased in 2000 which I totally renovated. It took 2 years I have got faster!

I was always interested in property investment but didn't really know how to do it until I discovered the forum in Jan 03. I read everything over a few months and learnt a heap.

Took the equity out of the unit and went to Rockhampton for a week in July 03, bought 3 houses.

Went to Rocky for a month and did a 5k reno on 1 house after the feral tenants moved out. I have since sold 2 of them.

Then ,July 04, bought 2 houses on potential redevelopment sites in Christchurch, New Zealand. Intended to reno one but had bought better than I imagined so onsold at settlement and had a holiday!

There is a block of land in there somewhere that we won't talk about

November 04 bought(in partnership) a block of 4 units and a house on beachfront land in Chch for redevelopment down the track. They were extremely run down so spent 5 weeks renoing them all to get the rents up in the meantime.

I've never been good at 9-5 so took the plunge and left work about 18 mths ago. So far I'm still managing to eat :p

here is the official list with week to go - 60 so far

numbers 60
Ani 1
handy Andu 1
RossV 3
Karina 1
Joanna K 1
Peter 147 1 or 2 or 3 or 0 subject to our daughter
Perky 29 1
jamie 1
les 1
kissfan 2