Foxtel/Plasma/LCD questions

I am really confused re plasma / LCD and now LED Plasma.
My husband and I went to Hardly Normal for a quick look and the salesman said that the new 'LED' was the best. Not sure if he was getting higher commission for selling this but needless to say I was very confused and didn't buy anything.
I don't watch enough TV to care but the family loves the footy!!
So if anyone knows about this LED thing I am all ears:)

I've been eying those as well. Pretty expensive though, as they only came out last month, and the only brand that has them is Samsung.

What it is, instead of CCFL backlight which is just fluorescent tube, they use LED backlight. this allows them to make contrast higher, and also control LEDs so they can switch them off completely and have deeper blacks.

Now there were some older models with LED backlight (Samsung, Sony and i think Phillips), they are still thick. The new Samsung range has LEDs located on the edge, which allows them to make much thinner TV, but the tradeoff is that they cannot turn them off separately. The LED tvs use less energy. Whether the difference in quality justifies the price tag - you'll have to judge for yourself. LED TVs have much higher contrast ratios, it's usually measured in millions.

I'm in a market for LCD tv now, and decided to go for a cheaper previous model one. While i can see a marginal difference, i can't justify paying more for it.

I'll probably take up this deal: http://www.jbhifi.com.au/tv-plasma-lcd/bonus-ps3/ provided i like the picture quality. Considering that i currently have 61cm CRT TV, anything will look good for me :p

V series

but they didn't want to give playstation on the 11 month interest free finance, so had to settle for 6 months. also i got PS straight away, don't have to wait for it for a month

If you follow the cricket you should be signed up now and watching the 20Twenty. Thank God I work from home and can sleep in a little in the mornings :D. About to get worse with the ashes.....

I prefer Plasma. Have a 42" Hitachi which is great but looking bigger now for the lounge room.

In my opinion Foxtel is far superior in picture quality. Have had Foxtel for years and couldn't live without it...:eek:

Kev
www.reas.com.au

My partner is a 24/7 sports watcher, and when I researched it 12-18 months ago, plasma was the way to go.
Don't listen too much to the salesmen, I have noticed on a Sat they don't want to give you info, and just want to make a sale on the dearest product and then move onto the next customer.
I think it is what ever you personally feel comfortable with.
Just make sure you get an outside digital aerial, and Foxtel is only good if it is in HD.

Plasma is the go I have had one for about 4 years and the picture is still as good as most LCD on the market. I watch a lot of sport and for fast moving sport nothing beats a plasma, HD golf is fantastic. They are also cheaper and the viewing angle is much better.

I have been looking for a new tv to replace the plasma in our lounge room and honestly i dont understand why people buy LCD tvs the picture is worse and they cost more. I like the Samsung ones that can play media files from usb storage. These can be bought for under 2k

lcd has brighter background as well as sharper. the colour of the plasma is more natural, more soothing for the eyes. if the room is bright, lcd works fine. in darker room, lcd is so bright and contrast that it tires your eyes faster. it is impossible for me to watch animation on lcd. however, for playing games lcd is probably better.

lcd has brighter background as well as sharper. the colour of the plasma is more natural, more soothing for the eyes. if the room is bright, lcd works fine. in darker room, lcd is so bright and contrast that it tires your eyes faster. it is impossible for me to watch animation on lcd. however, for playing games lcd is probably better.
what stops you from adjusting contrast to suit your eyes? :confused:

Back