Frankston prices increased???

on and on and on

As one of Australia's cheapest beachside suburbs with real infrastructure (university, tafe, shopping centres, train etc) Frankston/Seaford's full potentiality has not yet been priced in - there's more to come! Those who missed the boat a few months ago when houses were available for $270k will be cursing more and more as Frankston & Seaford house prices gradually gain parity with the rest of Melbourne. Amazing but true: Frankston's median is still below that of greater Melbourne!

Those who condemned Frankston a few months ago will no doubt keep doing the same. :D as they themselves buy up the cheapies. Dirty dogs. And the much discussed scum in Frankston is moving out, priced out....to inland suburbs much like Carrum Downs.

Some new unit developments that are selling 2/3 bedroom "small" units for a price not too different to a 4 bedroom house on a good sized block that "someone" bought a couple years back ;)
Hi Nate.

Geez, I wonder who that "someone" might be, lol.

Thanks for that info, it's always good to get info from someone on the ground, so to speak.

Regards
Marty

Carrum downs does nothing for me. I know a few mates bought their first homes and within a few years were out of there quick smart, never to return.
Hi toony.

What was it specifically that turned your mates off?

Personally, I'm looking at things from an investors perspective.

Regards
Marty

What about the properties west of the freeway in Seaford?

theseb are ones that every one wants, if you can pick up one reasonably priced probably around the 350+ mark with reno potential or dual occ you'll be sitting on a gold mine.

east of frwy is just seaford same as frankston nth. not to good in some areas.

i have 3 properties in frangers now, 1st last july, picked up for $183.k 600sqrs.(did full reno $30k. re valued at $275k rented for $300pw. 3 bed 2 bath.) near beach st shops (good area) and 1 in june this year(no one else was buying") in the karingal area again. paid $255.k spent 15k very basic reno,mostly paint and revalued within 2 weeks of settlemnt at $290k(got access prior to settlement to do work.) rented for $310 p.w 4 bed 2 bath.

also same time bought in frankston south 4 bed 2 bath nice area,cul de sac, very neat and tidy, for $323.5 k put in ensuite and rented for $340pw.(bit harder renting this one)well not really took approx 3 weeks.which is probably not too bad. just been easy with the other 2.

but i have quite a bit of knowledge in the area as have kept my ear close to the ground for 18 months now. there is still some good buying in the karingal area, and good family area with good renting.

any help am glad to steer you.p.s i am a carpenter with extensive renoíng skills if needed. (based in croydon.)

good luck and happy buying

[Amazing but true: Frankston's median is still below that of greater Melbourne!

Why should most of Frankston not be below the median of greater Melbourne? IE. Karringal? It is a fair way out.

I've been tracking prices in areas such as Upper Seaford. The price has definitely gone up there!

People will always be keener to get something a few hundred meters from the beach, but in reality, anything in seaford is not going to be more then 2 - 3km from the beach anyway.

PLUS,

The St Kilda Development. Ive tracked prices of a particular street in seaford, close to Belvediere Park, over a period of time, and prices have gone up from an average $330k to $360K, and that's within the last 18 months.

Also, there is a lot of new units and houses being built there, making the area more attractive, aesthetically pleasing.

And finally, the east-link entrance is very close.

ok Ramzd Pickle2, you have really aroused and renewed my interests in Frankston and Seaford now.

Can you pick a few specific properties that you think is good and you would consider buying them yourself for me to have a look please??

BTW, near the water, good public transport, nice streetscape, good views, nice neighbours, fantastic price, solid build, European fittings etc etc is my criteria :)

To me, anything beyond 800m from the beach is too far. I recently bought 2 properties in Sydney. One is about 400m and the other 800m. I think this is important if I ever decide to sell it and say its close to the beach. I think if I can find something like this in Melbourne, I will want to concentrate on Melbourne as I believe it has greater upside.

Cheers.

Hi awsydney,

To be honest, I have been focusing on an area about 2km from the beach. The reason being that I wanted to see the effects on house prices with the developments associated with the St Kilda Football club, amongst other things.

But closer the beach, within 400m, hotspots are the Kananook Creek area. So anything on Rosslyn Avenue and Kirkwood ave. Those two are the jewels of seaford. Its next to the beach, next to a Safeway, and inbetween two railway stations.

t i have 3 properties in frangers now, 1st last july, picked up for $183.k 600sqrs.(

You bought a house in Frankston for $183k last July? If its 600sqm as u say then its got dual occ potential, which will make it a goldmine someday. Congratulations on getting a huge bargain! You must have got the cheapest house in town. Well done. No such bargains these days. Even so, virtually all Frankston homes for sale can be bought for 25% less than the Melb median price. This kind of mispricing cannot last forever. Slowly but surely, prices can only move up from here.

Pickle2, Ramzd

You guys are a great help and thanks heaps for the info! Hey, you guys are giving me a lot of work to do!

I like the Frankston house but I dont like that creek in the back, just a personal thing. My issue with Seaford is the highway running along the water. Ideally I think a suburb has better upside potential with water front properties and its infrastructure / highway located BEHIND them eg the stretch of Gould street in Frankston which is close to the station. Wouldnt you agree you cant have a highway between your view of the water. Even if you cant see water from ground level, you want the option to renovate upwards to see it and increase the value of your property.

Check out City Beach in Perth. The West Coast highway runs parallel to the ocean, behind the properties by the water. I have a map of it in my website.

QuoteL
"Wouldnt you agree you cant have a highway between your view of the water. Even if you cant see water from ground level, you want the option to renovate upwards to see it and increase the value of your property."

My response

Water views are overratted in my opinion. During the day it's great but at night, it's black. A view of the city is better if you are after views.

You want to be close to the bay, but not too close. The wind would drive you crazy.

Last edited:
Ideally I think a suburb has better upside potential with water front properties and its infrastructure / highway located BEHIND them eg the stretch of Gould street in Frankston which is close to the station.

And all suburbs between Mordialloc and Carrum.

I like houses on culs-de-sac that end at the dunes, although these may not be good if they end on a busy highway (if it's difficult to turn out into).

A couple of houses back (to shield wind), but with a front room and verandah aimed towards the water would be near-ideal IMHO.

Pickle2,

I can understand the creek can be a real calming and serene factor to some. Personally, the Gould street one has fantastic views but it looks a little dated and old to me. Also, I'm superstitious and number 114 is one of the worst numbers one can have from a feng shui perspective. In Chinese, it literally means "everyday death" :(:(

Feng Shui Numbers

Now that's a fascinating idea - steer clear of 114 houses.

A friend is into Feng Shui and says units with an entrance foyer 'make more wealth' than units where the front door enters the lounge area.

I can see a lot of Feng Shui ideas are just common sense (if you're on a main road your money can get 'washed away' down the road for instance), but can anyone support these sort of ideas with practical examples?

Feng shui elements

I can definitely say that it pays no harm to believe in feng shui as long as you dont let it rule your life. As you say, it is all based on common sense and logic of living in harmony with the environment. Why pick a fight if you can help it and be friendly? I would definitely avoid the following numbers for my house if I can help it. The literal chinese meaning based on their pronounciation are as follows:

4 - die, death
14, 114 - sure die, die everyday
24 - easy die / death
314 - the moment you're born, you die :eek:
324 - business death
44 - die die
74 - sure death / sure to die
84 - this one might be good, it means prosper until you die
94 - play until you die :D

A large tree directly in front of the entrance to your home is also not good, so is a house right at a T junction with cars heading towards you - even without feng shui believe, that's just common sense to avoid headlamps shinning into your living room at night.

Back