Free Tickets to Home Buyer and Property Investor Show (Sydney)

We were a touch too late in exhibiting at the Sydney one but am trying to line up and be there at the Melbourne one. Good to see Bendigo getting a good run at the ball! Anyone have some more detailed questions on Bendigo please let me know :)

More Notes

I managed to get to a few sessions today (Sunday). As others have mentioned - most people did do their cursory sales pitches, but I did find some of the info useful.

My notes are below in case anyone is interested. If I've got anything wrong, please feel free to correct me.

NRAS
$9981 tax free paid each year in addition to rent continued. For 10 yars!

The house is rented at a 20% discount. This means you have a larger lass for tax purposes, which can be claimed, but then you also have tax free refund of $10K, so you're double dipping.

Unlike defence housing, you can exit at any time you like...

The $10K rebate actually increases each year by rental component of CPI. This component is usually higher than CPI. 4.8%this year vs 3.1 % CPI.

Tenants are nurses, firefighters, police etc who are earning less than certain amount.
E.g couple with3 kids, earning less than $108k.

SMSF properties are eligible for this too.

Sydney Streets and Suburbs by Property planning Australia (Peter kouliskos)

Marrickville and Erskinville - under valued suburb undergoing gentrification
Pick tree lined non main rds. Units are very under valued...Make sure for any purchase you make, 65-70% of money you pay is for land.

How do you find hotspots? Look for cheaper suburbs near beach or city. Then look at why it is cheaper than its prime neighbours. Under flight path? Full of actories? Right on train line? If nothing wrong, it could be a goer!

There comes a time when industrial land becomes cheaper than residential.
Redfern has a lot of potential in this front, as do areas near parramatta too.

We have a housing shortage, nationally we're 180k short. In NSW, we are 60k short of dwellings, and building 30k a year

Victoria going through correction. WA and QLD going to grow.

Rich Harvey

Off the plan - most contracts allow developer to vary floor size by 5%.

Use deposit bonds instead of full deposit so cash isn't tied up.

Be wary as Fire orders exist on many older units.

Builder can take from 16-20 weeks.

Property options could be good, but tricky to find vendor who is willing.

DSR score will give you score out of 48. Will have iPhone app from mid next week by these guys. It looks at vendor discounting, and 8 other metrics.

(How accurate? It has a coefficient of 96%.)

They are buyer's agents, and charge 9k flat fee for under 500k.

Margaret Lomas -

Predicts at least 1 more interest rate cut, and wages are increasing.

Find an area with existing or pending growth, rising population and multiple industries.

We are at 5 o click on property clock - good time to buy.

Expect market to rise in 2013.

Rental demand is going to increase yield soon.

Terri Ryder showed, last 15 years inner CBD and near ocean grew the worst.

Population growth faster than national average.

Jobs growth is economic growth.

Increasing median household income trends.
Housing start, and strong council leadership. That is trying to grow well.

NSW has 130k shortage (Every speaker had a different stat for housing shortages), right rental.

Growth forecast over 5% in the west. But 3% overall in apartments only 1%.

Bathurst and Shoalhaven also good.

Vic forecast to flat in cb, but 5 in bendigo and ballarat.
Apartment to fall.

Qld
Mining growth high. apartments projected to fall 10%. As everything is coming Ono market in BCD from FCC and flood.
Growth of 2 in uburbs

SA
Lowest vacancy. Houses to grow 5% in suburbs.

Clinton and Arckaringa basin coal

WA
Rents going to go up soon.
Growth mainly in under 500k market.

Tas
Low population growth. Houses and units to be flat, and vacancy to stay.

NT
Darwin is already very expensive capital city.

Overall

Resource towns to keep booming.
Investors with good appetite for risk and cash flows and a strong financial positions. Won't get super growth anymore though, like we have in the past.

Look at places with resources near by, like Toowomba. CBDs are a poor choice for next few years.

Buy in outer suburbs of all of our capital cities.

Rental yields growth I opposing cycles to value growth.

Increase in employment and population mean more rental yield growth

Only deal with property professionals who are PIPA member.

Go to destiny.com.au to watch your money your call.

Australian Property Monitor's guy (Talks about the Sydney Market, and what's happening next)

Lowest was NSW is 4.8% unemployment Rae, lowest in 4 years.

3 markets in Sydney, budget (380k), medium, and prestige (1m plus)
Prestige dragging the others back.

Leading indicators
1) Auction clearance rates
Was 54.2% a year ago. Then 50% in December.
July was 58%, and yesterday's was 63.2%!

2) Housing loans
Comparison
Invested loans are 6% higher in NSW than they were for same period last year. 4.3% higher than during boom years.
NSW is the only state where investor loans are 2% higher than previously.

First home buyes are out due to bringing forward
Non first home buyes as up by 12%? 17% higher than 2 years ago.

Lagging indicator

Average days on market - falling. Sellers are finding buyers ore quickly.

Average discount rate - falling.

This means markets starting to generate heat.

Drivers:
China grow solid, and inflation now in check there so we,re happy.
China sneezes, we catch a cold.

Us to slowly revive, biggest economy and consumer economy.

Eurozone impacts stock market, not so much housing.

Last fall in interest rates! Next move will be up, and next year!

Oec rates us number 3! Economy is awesome for the country. We has juiciest Ges, lowest unemployment, 300bn in pipeline.

Gfc has proved our housing market can stand anything.

Non-sensical bubble talk! We will get more Immigration as shortage of skills. If shortage not met, we wil
Have inflation breakout due to skyrocketing wages!

Pretty cool...which one is the Property book? Different to the Think and Grow Rich book itself?

so much negativity about Stuart Zadell(spelling?) that I didn't bother with it. Does it seem like it's worth a read?

I flipped through only few pages and I can't really see any connection with the original book.
It doesn't feel like a 'marketing'. It is Australian based book and free. That is good enough for me :)

The free coffee's were good
Sounds like that is all!

I flipped through only few pages and I can't really see any connection with the original book.
It doesn't feel like a 'marketing'. It is Australian based book and free. That is good enough for me :)
That's pretty much the attitude I took yesterday. Picked the book up, left a fake phone number so I wasn't bothered by annoying marketers and went on my way.

About 1/2 way through Sam Saggers chapter. Seems interesting but not ground breaking.

Here are two presentations I thought were good. I received by email.

Attachments

• Steve_McKnight_Seminar_June_2012.pdf
    859.3 KB · Views: 153
  • SydneyExpo2012_Successful_Strategies_to_achieve_your_property_investment_goals_Peter_Koulizos.pdf
    146.3 KB · Views: 81

Sounds like that is all!

Some of the talks were very good as well. I had my 6 year old tagging along so we were mainly trying to get free lollies as well.

I think if you went there as a beginner you could fall prey to some bad advice. There seemed to be a fair bit of areas that don't interest me such as investing in the USA, mentorships, Off the plan, buying a unit in a motel, and mining town properties.

Back