Front Load Wahsing Machines

Hi All,

One of our tenants has just called to advise that the front load washer has packed up.

A quick scan of the local rag found a new Electrolux EW1050 for $590.

Does anyone have any experience with the Electrolux brand of washer??

Regards

Glenn

Hiya Glenn,

I have a Whirlpool front loader, and I love it. (AWM6100)

Washes a dream. Great on the back (have a crappy back). I have had a box built to go under it so that the opening is high enough to just drag the wet clothes out into a washing basket!

The only thing I don't like is the REEEEALY long wash time. In a normal wash it's like 2.5 hours from go to woe. Also, you can't add stuff if you forget, once you push the Start button, that's IT. :)

I know this wasn't about the machine you asked about, but I hope it helps anyway.

asy :D

Hiya

Look for spin speed = or > 800 rpm.

Front loaders tend to be kinder on clothes, use less detergent, less water, but are usually not as robust as old style top loaders.

Front Loaders work better with a low suds type powder, many of the normal ones are so sudsy that they inhibit the wash action.

Ta

rolf

Last edited:
Have a look on choice. www.choice.com.au. You can buy articles as you go, or subscribe for the year over the web. You can also use their buying service (but I think you need to be a full member). I just bought an oven that we saw for around $950 - $1150 retail and managed to pick it up for $750, delivered via this service.

I'd NEVER use a front loader AGAIN, after flooding my parents back room, then having to pull out the Lino and hose off the suds. I came home and the water was like CENTIMETRES from the carpet. :eek:

Although it was entertaining watching the dog use the slippery lino as a slip N slide as I was hosing it off. :D

re: "I'd NEVER use a front loader AGAIN"

Could not any the of washing machine leak? Hoses normally wear out and split or break. or is the leak problem some how linked to a front loaders?

Something else, as mentioned elsewhere frontloaders take longer to to washing, I have one , and it takes one hour. However they also use a lot less water, (than top loaders) and it is a lot easier to get a AAA rated machine. This may be something to consider if a person is paying for the water

Get the biggest (heaviest capacity rating) front loader you can afford. More than 7kg is what I recommend - makes even the largest and fluffiest of towells easy to wash without risk of burning the motor out. Especially important if you have tenants with small kids - you can pretty much fill the barrel and let it go ... should do well.

We got a Westinghouse Mastermind LF711C a couple of years back ... so much better than our previous washer. Costs a bit though ... over $1000 usually.

I also recommend Choice magazine website ... well worth the money to read such articles.

Front Loaders

I have always had front loaders, after using top loaders at launderettes and getting fluff on everything couldn't wait to buy another front loader.

This time shopped around and bought Maytag through the local Bulk store and its great. Only uses the water depending on the weight of the clothes, so very water efficient. Does take a while though. The last one was a Bendix and that was fabulous but they are off the market now. The two before that were the hoover stainless steel drum models and they were dreadful, didn't last any time at all hence having to have two.

Chris

I like to zap a load through prior to going to work so the front loader isn't the washer for me.

But thank you to the captain for sharing about the choice service I was thinking about using that service and am glad you confirm that it is worthwhile.

Glenn, although the choice mag may not have the exact model (as it is a second hand one) their articles do have a list of % of people who would buy each brand again. If you call choice at the moment they send you 3 magazines free before you subscribe. One of these magazines has an article all abut washing machines. You may find it helpful.

all the best for your research

oops - this thread just reminded me that my son's school uniform is still wet in our Ariston frontloader - rapid repair under warranty and troublefree since despite several long rides with removalists
PS best buy in the UK is Tricity Bendix AW1260W (not sure if available in Oz)

Last edited:
chrispy said:
This time shopped around and bought Maytag through the local Bulk store and its great.

*sniff*

I wanted a Maytag... But too exxy for me at the time...

Still, have been VERY happy with the Whirlpool... The amount you can put in it is just amazing...

Oh, and, Capitain, were you using a front loader poweder??? Normal powders produce too many suds and the suds will come out the front of the machine. Have Never had a problem with front loader powder.

Must say, Glenn, if you are giving this machine to tenants, I'd have something put into their lease to say that they acknowledge that they have to use the correct powder and any damage done by the incorrect powder will be paid for by the tenants.

hope this helps,

asy :D

Sorry Glenn, my post isn't about an Electrolux either!

I bought a Bosch (can't remember model number off the top of my head) around 3 months ago now. It has been excellent. It is a front loader, quiet (except for the spin cycle! Sounds like it is about to take off!!), washes very well etc etc. We are very pleased. Have used four different top loaders in the past and have found them all to be very rough on clothes, holes being a common result. :(

Wish-ga, our front loader has a cycle of 35 minutes for delicates but we find this does an excellent job on our clothes, seeing as they aren't really that dirty when they hit the machine most of the time anyway.

Cheers,

Ali G

Glenn said:
Hi All,

Does anyone have any experience with the Electrolux brand of washer??

Glenn

I bought an electrolux 'ew 1055 f' about eight months ago, and it's working well. No problems at all.

It's the model with the tilt drums and water spout at the top of the drums to recirculate the water whilst washing. With this many gimmicks, you would have expected it to have problems, but it must have done at least 70 loads so far, and not a hint of trouble.

Back