Garage or carport?

Does anyone know the technical difference between a garage and a carport? I know it sounds like a silly question, but does a garage have to have 3 walls and a lockable door and a carport 4 posts? Does it depend on the particular council?

That simple question could keep your planning office & you in meetings for weeks:rolleyes:!

To me a "garage" is enclosed. How many sides ? A door? good question.

A "carport" is not enclosed. Maybe "attached" on one side?

But I'm the last person to ask. Me & town planning ...not a good match:mad:.

I'd check you local council. Will it vary between areas? Only God knows!!
LL

Carport

images

Carport

images

Garage

images

Shed?

images

To me a garage is fully enclosed and lockable.

A carport is open on some or all sides, may or may not have a door.
Marg

I agree with Marg - a garage is enclosed and protects a car from storms. A carport is open on all or some sides and basically the roof is the only part that protect a car (or caravan) from storms.

Usually a garage has a concrete floor and a carport may have concrete or gravel etc, floor.

Sheyrn ;)

Thanks everyone, and nice pics redwing - nice red setter there in 3rd pic.

If I read the council regulations right a carport can be more leniently positioned on a block than a garage, and also it seems able to be constructed in a wider choice of materials. That's why I wondered where the distinction lay. I want it as enclosed as possible but still called carport for council approval purposes. If you've had a quote recently for a garage you'll know why I'm asking! Whatever amount your thinking - it's higher than that!

In Lane Cove at one of our properties we have a carport against the house with a rollerdoor at the front and rear leaving only the side facing the neight exposed.

could always build a carport then after put som screening down the sides like slats or trellis. don't know if you'd be allowed to put a door on tho.

ring council and talk to planning - you don't have to identify yourself or the address.

spoke to council

carport has to be 3m+ back, garage 6m+ back from front of property

carport has to be open on all sides (so redwing according to my council your 2nd pic would be a garage)

cheers

Back