Garage to Granny Flat Blacktown

Has anyone converted a detached Garage to a Granny Flat in Blacktown (preferably suburb if not the within the Council's jurisdiction), so we're talking 25sqm here...and successfully leased the house and granny flat separately.

I'm aware of the risks/pitfalls/rules on letting out Granny flats etc. Just wanted to know if someone was doing it and doing it without any major issues.

First step would be to contact the council and check their requirements regarding submitting plans etc. - and also any conditions on renting it out.
Marg

Well the problem is Council will probably ok the flat but officially no to leasing out, together with the 3 bed house it sits beside.

It would be much easier if I was living in the house and rented out the flat but in this case, both will be leased. Tenants will be in very close proximity, even though there are 2 separate buildings.

Will be looking at doing that soon myself in my local area, though not renting separately. (the flat is not a detached dwelling though) Opinion by several real estate agents is to rent out the total package to one group. Although you get a little less rent, you get less hassles 'between' the separate tenancies, and also it avoids some of the legal/council issues. It is suggested that there are family groups who are looking for these kind of bigger dual occupancies. Let's hope so!
If the flat is totally separate I would imagine that it could be rented out separately successfully. (Legal and council issues aside) When looking to buy property I have come across a couple of such situations in the past where the owners rented separately and felt it was a great success. However in those cases they managed the property themselves.

Cheers,
Whozat

Back