Garage vs Carport: Which gets more rent?

Hi Guys,

First time poster here. I'm in the middle of designing 2 villas on a block of land, and want to rent them out. So, I'm just wondering, what would be the difference between having a Carport and Having a garage be for 2 bedders? Both will have secure roller doors to them.... I'm just thinking from a VM perspective.

Thanks in advance!!

I think most people would prefer garages because they are enclosed, and thus less dirt & bugs would get on whatever they were storing in their garage?

Would it be a big difference in terms of rental? would we be looking at an extra 5-10% as a result of having an enclosed garage?

Hi Hemma

I too have found that a garage would yield a higher rental than a carport.
Guess the extra 5 - 10% would pay for itself in the long term.

I'd go for a garage over a carport. A garage is also a very useful storage place for those who may have moved from larger accommodation or for those who are renting while they build.

Cheers
LynnH

Garage with a remote control will get higher rent. We have a garage but get lazy to open the garage door and put the car inside :). But then that must be just us.

Hi, I opted for carport because 4K + difference in price. In the end, it didn't make a lot lof difference because with my project, the fences meant that the carport was almost enclosed. In one house, the tenant put sofas and chairs and used it as a sitting room. She parked her car in the space outside the carport.

The rent would not be more in my case.

KY

i don't think a garage would make much of a differance, in rent return , but it would rend faster, the prop val would be increased with it , more depreciation in the long term, and added security for the tennents.

Keep in mind the biggest asset the tennents are likely to have lives in the garage. ;)

i don't think a garage would make much of a differance, in rent return
Sorry craigb, you're wrong - places with garages get more rent - that's just they way it is. auror is right. No need to think about it - its just a fact.:)

Having said that, we tend to go for carports as tenants can't hide trash in them :p Depends on the area and quality of house of course.

Depends where, but in Sydney definitely a garage!

We had to rent a place with an extra bedroom to put the home gym in primarily because there were no places for rent (Sydney inner west) with a garage + driveway parking.

Most people who are renting a house and not a unit, will have some kind of sport equipment, be it a gym, canoe, boat, dive gear or whatever, that doesn't want exposure to the elements.

If every house had a garage then not much difference, but here in inner Sydney, people sub-let their garages on to other people because they can get so much money!

Back