Gas bottle is now too close to brick vents

Three (3) days into our holiday in QLD our PM rings to tell us the gas company won't refill IP No 3 tenant's gas bottle as brick vent within a metre of gas bottle.

Background
IP No 3 was built in 2010 tenant has been having the gas refilled monthly since October 2010 and gas hot water system was installed by a qualifed gas fitter.

Hubby rings tenant to find out story...
Apparently her gas bottle was not refilled last month so tenant chased gas bottle refiller truck today and spoke with the driver and he said the address has a red flag and he is not to refill the gas bottle as too close to brick vent and vent needs to be boarded up and gas company notified.

Hmmm...
We will stop our holiday and drive home tomorrow to sort out the problem as maybe the tenants in IP No 4 have the same problem but haven't realised their gas bottle has not been refilled.

And while we are doing this we will check the brick vents at IP No 2 which was built in 2009 and we as may as well check our daughter's PPOR as well.

Just when we thought it was OK to take a couple of weeks off for a holiday.

Cheers
Sheryn

PS
At any other time we would have been able to phone our handyman to sort out but he is on a fishing trip out to sea at Swann's Reef.

Does the PM not have access to people who can fix this. If it was built in 2010, do they have access to the builder, and can get the installing plumber to identify what has occurred. If it has been approved, I cannot see why it is now a problem.

Pete

We did Owner Builder to build IP No3 & 4. Yes PM has access to people who can fix but maybe we have more than one IP with a problem so we will go back and check as will work out cheaper.

Point is they have been refilling the gas cyclinder for 8 months and now it is a problem.

Regards
Sheryn

Three (3) days into our holiday in QLD our PM rings to tell us the gas company won't refill IP No 3 tenant's gas bottle as brick vent within a metre of gas bottle.

Background
IP No 3 was built in 2010 tenant has been having the gas refilled monthly since October 2010 and gas hot water system was installed by a qualifed gas fitter.

Hubby rings tenant to find out story...
Apparently her gas bottle was not refilled last month so tenant chased gas bottle refiller truck today and spoke with the driver and he said the address has a red flag and he is not to refill the gas bottle as too close to brick vent and vent needs to be boarded up and gas company notified.

Hmmm...
We will stop our holiday and drive home tomorrow to sort out the problem as maybe the tenants in IP No 4 have the same problem but haven't realised their gas bottle has not been refilled.

And while we are doing this we will check the brick vents at IP No 2 which was built in 2009 and we as may as well check our daughter's PPOR as well.

Just when we thought it was OK to take a couple of weeks off for a holiday.

Cheers
Sheryn

PS
At any other time we would have been able to phone our handyman to sort out but he is on a fishing trip out to sea at Swann's Reef.

take a leaf out of other PIs and send them a few electric heaters till you get around to it.

We can see the problem now we are back in town...

The 4 small brick vents are directly behind the gas bottles and the gas regulator is mounted in the middle of the brick vents [1 1x1 1] so hubby will block up the 4 small vents with the material they use in brick wall expansion joints rather than mortar.

Hopefully we back on the road after lunch to avoid the afternoon/evening peak hour traffic. My commiserations to anyone who has to travel in bigger city peak hour traffic everyday.

Regards
Sheryn

Last edited:
Had a similar situation at my PPOR sparkie installed air con 1m away from gas cylinders and they were filled a couple of times then one guy must have flagged it and we got a visit from a Gas Inspector who promptly read the act out.

Not a real people person this fella :cool: anyway had to get sparkie back and relocate the air con 3m away thankfully I had the space to move it. I had to organise inspector again real pain in the butt, as we had NIL gas, we had a lot of BBQs.

I was given 28 days to comply. This was several years ago now, so distance from cylinders may have changed.

Brian

Interpretation of legislation .... isnt it just great. Off track slightly, I did a one block into two subdivision, and as the power was over head, I received an approval for a single pole in the corner of one property, to take the power for both. Lovely bid electricity stamp of approval on tha plan, and when the contractor arived, he refused to connect. I showed him the plan, he stood his ground, and said, tha approving officer was wrong. With blood pressuer in the starosphere I rang the approving officer ..... he said ... opps did I approve that .... sorry I must not have read it right, you need two poles ... I gave him the two pole sign, and said thanks for nothing. Another "check" for that the learning exeperience box.

Back