Bottled gas for IP

Looking to build a new IP and there is no option for natural gas connected to the mains in the area.

The options available are, Solar, electric heat pump or bottled gas. The most cost effective solution is to go for bottles, heat pump is a little more but the systems are a bit flaky from what I have been researching.

So interested to hear from people who have bottled gas on their IP and how they find it with tenants. What happens when they move out? Do you have to remove the bottles? From what I understand there is a rental charge for the bottles, who pays that?

Personally I would not bother to go gas unless there was a possibility in the VERY close future of piped gas being connected.

It will end up being a hassle.

Personally I would not bother to go gas unless there was a possibility in the VERY close future of piped gas being connected.

It will end up being a hassle.

You don't get a choice unfortunantly. You either pick one of the options I outlined above or do nothing.

Personally I reckon everything these days is sub par compared to the good old electric HWS's but those are not an option anymore.

Ho ok180,

There was a thread somewhere re:bottled gas.

Anyhow,imo tenants prefer gas over electric for cooking.

Cheers Spades.

I have bottled gas in IP in Cairns, for cooking, necessary for when cyclones are about and the power goes off.

It helps with renting out IP.

I bought 2 bottles originally and tenants have to swap the bottles when the gas runs out.

If bottles are missing or empty the cost is taken from their Bond.

I also have bottled gas running HWS in Holiday House, it works very well. Lasts for a long time.

Chris

Hi,

I used to have bottled gas for my rental. We installed 2 bbq gas bottles, so when one runs out it can be switched over to the other. No service fee. Only the large gas bottles will be charged service fee.

Ta

Anne

Actually it was suggested by the gas fitter as the best option. In the beginning we wanted to install the larger bottle but you have to pay $100/y or something for service fee.

4 People used the gas for cooking took 3 months for 1 bottle.

Ta

Anne

I do the same as Anh, just two Swap and Go BBQ gas bottles. If they are missing when the tenant moves out then it comes out of their bond. There are plenty of places within a couple of Kms for tenants to swap them over.

Actually it was suggested by the gas fitter as the best option. In the beginning we wanted to install the larger bottle but you have to pay $100/y or something for service fee.

4 People used the gas for cooking took 3 months for 1 bottle.

Ta

Anne

Sounds like a good idea. Sure beats the $400/yr service fee for natural gas (piped). Might have to look into that one.

Back