Gas glass cooktop smashed in IP!

Our last house we have in Bundaberg we were unable to sell, so we have had to rent it out to help make the house payments... So you could say we are unintentional PI in this case!
Anyway, it has been less than a month since the tenants have moved in, and I got an email from the PM to tell me that the glass gas cook top has just cracked up.
I will attach the photos and I would appreciate your opinions on how this might have happened. :confused:
In all the years of having similar cooktops I have never ever had a problem like this...

Attachments

• broken stove jan 2010 007.jpg
    broken stove jan 2010 007.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 1,022
  • broken stove jan 2010 008.jpg
    broken stove jan 2010 008.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 695
  • broken stove jan 2010 009.jpg
    broken stove jan 2010 009.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 493
Our last house we have in Bundaberg we were unable to sell, so we have had to rent it out to help make the house payments... So you could say we are unintentional PI in this case!
Anyway, it has been less than a month since the tenants have moved in, and I got an email from the PM to tell me that the glass gas cook top has just cracked up.
I will attach the photos and I would appreciate your opinions on how this might have happened. :confused:
In all the years of having similar cooktops I have never ever had a problem like this...

That is strange and sorry this has happened to you. Looks like was done with a hammer or similiar object.

Have you landlords insurance? Not sure if would be covered but I know on our policy the oven door is covered if it cracks.

All the best.

I don't think this was done with a hammer; I think they've either used the wrong type of cookware (most likely), or let something boil dry.

You have to use cookware which provides feedback to the cooktop on how hot the pan is, otherwise the element will just keep getting hotter and hotter, to the point where this eventually happens. :eek: So glass pans, and some metals (eg I think aluminium), aren't suitable for use on ceramic cooktops. The kinds of pans which aren't suitable aren't all that common these days, but older and/or cheaper pans can be a problem.

So who pays for the repair? Not sure. The tenant has certainly misused the cooktop, but the question is, is that something they should have known? (Since you obviously didn't know yourself, and you own it!) Did you provide them with the manual and highlight that only particular saucepans should be used? If not, I doubt the tenant could be required to pay for it. But I'm not 100% sure.

What does the PM say, and on what basis? How does the tenant say that it happened? If they feel guilty, perhaps they'd go halves?

The pictures show a gas cooktop perp, not ceramic.
I wonder could they have left the gas on and it just got really really hot and shattered, or maybe something boiled over? If someone had taken a hammer to it wouldn't the gas hobs themselves be smashed up?

The pictures show a gas cooktop perp, not ceramic.
Ooops - duh. LMAO :eek:

I still think it got damaged from overheating; as you say, probably something boiled over. Jam or something like that which gets really hot would probably do it.

I don't have any of this type of product, so cannot help but Perp's idea of perhaps it being left on way too long could do it. I picked up a cheap glass from the dishwasher last week, it was cold but as soon as I lifted it, the heat of my fingers of the slight pressure of my fingers caused it to explode into hundreds of pieces, looking like your glass cooktop. I believe it was a flaw in that glass and the heat of the dishwasher was enough to expand the flaw so that once touched it exploded.

What I would say is that over the years we have encountered things like this and this is how we treated them....

1. One lot of tenants broke a shower screen. Mum paid for the repair. It cannot remember whether it was claimed on insurance or not because the excess was probably close to the repair cost. I think it was broken again and cannot remember if Mum asked them to contribute towards the cost, but I'm fairly sure she made it clear that a third break would be at their cost. They were good tenants, but turned ferol at the end and left the house filthy with yet another broken screen. We took them to tribunal and got the cost from the bond, plus curtains they had left under the house that were ruined, plus cost of professional cleaners. I think they got $12.50 from their bond.

2. We recently had new tenants move into an old queensland with the "original" loo downstairs which was a beautiful design, but was leaking and could no longer be fixed due to seals not being able to be purchased to suit. We decided to install a new dual flush loo. It blocked up and we had our trusty plumber clear it. At the time he suggested the clay pipes from this loo to the new poly pipes we had installed a few years ago were cracked underground and it could have been tree roots causing the blockage. We obviously were up for the cost of clearing, but plumber said if it blocked again, we would be better to replace the old clay pipes.

When it blocked up again, we bit the bullet and he dug up the old pipes, replaced them with poly so no more issues. At the same time, he said the blockage was not tree roots, but sanitary and human waste that this loo (and many of the new dual flush ones) cannot cope with the 3 litres used in the half flush and we made it very clear to the tenants, that this toilet needs the full flush every time it is used, and that if it blocked again due to the half flush being used, we would not meet the cost again.

If this was my cooktop, I would try to find out what the tenant had done. You really have to replace it or claim it on insurance, but make very clear what sort of cooking pots can be used, and if it turns out (ask a retailer, repairman) they have done the wrong thing, then I would ask them to contribute to the cost of replacing, and if they baulk at that, make it clear that if it happens again, they would be paying for the replacement.

In all these cases, it is still a grey area whether we could make the tenant pay, but I believe if we have pointed out the pitfalls and clearly stated the cause and the way to avoid it happening again, and said they will be up for repair, even if we are being optimistic, at least most tenants would be worried about being up for an expensive fix, and most would be a bit more careful.

I actually was a bit shocked at how dirty it looks now.
They told the RE that they were cooking dinner and just heard a Bang, turned around and the cook top looked like that!
I too felt that it might have had all of the burners going at once and the glass got too hot... or maybe a very hot thing spilled onto it...
I am looking at a couple of bunnings gas cook tops that are only about $250 each to replace the one that is smashed.
going stainless steal this time so no more smashed glass...
Our insurance has an excess of I think $100, but to me the premiums would go up and that would not be worth making a claim on it.

It was a good quality Westinghouse cook top, and I was very sad to see it look like that. It has been a good cook top for me for the time we lived in the house.
This was it without the wok burner...
http://www.productreview.com.au/showitem.php?item_id=12536

2. We recently had new tenants move into an old queensland with the "original" loo downstairs which was a beautiful design, but was leaking and could no longer be fixed due to seals not being able to be purchased to suit. We decided to install a new dual flush loo. It blocked up and we had our trusty plumber clear it. At the time he suggested the clay pipes from this loo to the new poly pipes we had installed a few years ago were cracked underground and it could have been tree roots causing the blockage. We obviously were up for the cost of clearing, but plumber said if it blocked again, we would be better to replace the old clay pipes.

When it blocked up again, we bit the bullet and he dug up the old pipes, replaced them with poly so no more issues. At the same time, he said the blockage was not tree roots, but sanitary and human waste that this loo (and many of the new dual flush ones) cannot cope with the 3 litres used in the half flush and we made it very clear to the tenants, that this toilet needs the full flush every time it is used, and that if it blocked again due to the half flush being used, we would not meet the cost again.

If this was my cooktop, I would try to find out what the tenant had done. You really have to replace it or claim it on insurance, but make very clear what sort of cooking pots can be used, and if it turns out (ask a retailer, repairman) they have done the wrong thing, then I would ask them to contribute to the cost of replacing, and if they baulk at that, make it clear that if it happens again, they would be paying for the replacement.

In all these cases, it is still a grey area whether we could make the tenant pay, but I believe if we have pointed out the pitfalls and clearly stated the cause and the way to avoid it happening again, and said they will be up for repair, even if we are being optimistic, at least most tenants would be worried about being up for an expensive fix, and most would be a bit more careful.

were they flushing things they shouldn't ( women's sanitary items, condoms etc) or using half flush for browns?

I actually was a bit shocked at how dirty it looks now.
They told the RE that they were cooking dinner and just heard a Bang, turned around and the cook top looked like that!
I too felt that it might have had all of the burners going at once and the glass got too hot... or maybe a very hot thing spilled onto it...
I am looking at a couple of bunnings gas cook tops that are only about $250 each to replace the one that is smashed.
going stainless steal this time so no more smashed glass...
Our insurance has an excess of I think $100, but to me the premiums would go up and that would not be worth making a claim on it.

It was a good quality Westinghouse cook top, and I was very sad to see it look like that. It has been a good cook top for me for the time we lived in the house.
This was it without the wok burner...
http://www.productreview.com.au/showitem.php?item_id=12536

leave it. the distressed look is in at the moment. lol.

the glass should be able to cope with all burners going. if not it's a design fault. perhaps they took a pot off the burner and put it directly on the glass section?

were they flushing things they shouldn't ( women's sanitary items, condoms etc) or using half flush for browns?

I think both of these (without the condoms :D). I didn't ask the gory details, but the plumber said it was things going down the loo, not tree roots.

So the tenants have control of what goes down the loo, plus whether they use the dual flush. If they don't, we will ask that they pay for the next blockage, and see what happens.

Looking at the photos, does it need to be replaced, is it dangerous? From the photos just looks like the glass is sort of mosaic, does it affect its use, especially as it is gas?

We had a ceramic cooktop smash in an IP. Our Landlords insurance will not cover accidental damage only malicious damage. As we had new tenants and the PM didn't notice it before they moved in, apparently it couldn't be proved who did it or when it happened as it was only noticable when it the cooktop was turned on. :mad:

We have a new problem now. The new cooktop is bigger than the previous and was installed closer to the side wall, which is not tiled. Now the paint or laminate is peeling due to the heat. If we tile over the wall, the tiles will be over the cooktop. We think it should be a warranty job by the electrician, the PM says that the actual element are about the same away from the wall, but at the very least it is due to the tenants leaning saucepans against the wall as there is no "stopper" on the glass. Proof NIL aparently.

Same tenants now want the range hood to be flued into the roof as the smoke and cooking smells come out at the top of the cupboard! I can start another thread about their other wants as well!

I tell ya I am having a bit of a run lately with tenants and PMs and it absolutely sucks to not be in the same state and be able to just go and sort it/them all out myself.

Sunshine

plain old toughened safety glass.perhaps tinted

same product as what is used in car side and rear windows still

Can fracture like that if something heavyish is dropped on it, heated pot should by itself not likely.

There are instance of stove doors simply disintegrating on normal use, and its quite poss that the glass had a minor structural defect and over time bang

will need to be replaced since long term it will possibly rumble like old style car windscreens

ta
rolf

I would not be in a great rush to go the tennant as this may not have been caused by the tennant. I have attended to a number of cook tops which have done the same thing with majority being PPOR.

It does not seem to matter which brand of cook top either expensive or cheap for some reason they just shatter as you see in the photo's. This is the very reason I will never use a glass cooktop.

I put it down to say a small flew in the top and when things all line up so to speak they shatter. Of course i'm not saying a tennant has not done the dead before just be sure before you have a go at them.

I have also attend to a couple of glass oven doors that have exploded (grazed like cook top).

Just put anothor one in and move on maybe not a glass one:).

Brian

I would also suggest to not put in any cooktop that requires special pots. That really isn't fair for a tenant.
We always go with the most basic of appliances, as they seem to work the best.

I'd suggest getting a gas fitter around to look at your fittings and connections.

The possibility is that there has been a slow leak underneath the glass and when it finally hit the flame, it ignited from underneath and shattered the whole cooktop.

Cheers

Rooster

Actually I have seen this shattering more than a few times. There is something about gas jets and glass. In this case I would not hold the tenants responsible.

It doesnt seem to be such a problem with ceramic cooktops.

There has been a fair bit of publicity recently about glass oven doors shattering for no apparent reason.

Possibly something similar happens to cooktops?
Marg

I would also suggest to not put in any cooktop that requires special pots. That really isn't fair for a tenant.
We always go with the most basic of appliances, as they seem to work the best.

It does not require any special cookware!... It is just a gas cook top.

Nothing special about it. I am in the process of getting it replaced with a stainless steel one.

Last edited:
Back