Geelong - what do we think will happen there

Thanks!
I've been told to avoid Norlane & Corio, lots of crime

Yep. Crime is an issue, however with a decent landlord's insurance policy you are mitigating risk and covering for malicious damage. It is very affordable. You will always have a tenant there, even if Centrlink subsidised.

Miss Muffitt (earlier post above) has done well out of her "cheapie".

In answer to your question: They will win the 2008 AFL Premiership.

On topic: they are the Frankston of the West. End of the rail line with water views and beaches and close to desirable lifestyle regional.

So like Frankston very suburb by suburb. Watch for flooding issues.

Peter 14.7

Hi Spud,

The buyer's advocate I speak of was the presenter at the Geelong Property Expo earlier this year. I spoke with him at his stand afterwards and that was the info he gave me.

His name is Mike Walmsley from JPP Buyer Advocates www.jpp.com.au

He's a nice guy and was a fountain of information for me, a non-local.

Hi Spud,

The buyer's advocate I speak of was the presenter at the Geelong Property Expo earlier this year. I spoke with him at his stand afterwards and that was the info he gave me.

His name is Mike Walmsley from JPP Buyer Advocates www.jpp.com.au

He's a nice guy and was a fountain of information for me, a non-local.

Thanks Michael

I rang him this morniing, he does seem very helpful, I will meet with him later int he week & see what he has to offer, he fee seems very fair at 1.5%.

Has anyone purchased in Geelong lately? Hows everything going down there?
I'm considering buying something in Norlane, Bell Hill or East Geelong.

Has anyone purchased in Geelong lately? Hows everything going down there?
I'm considering buying something in Norlane, Bell Hill or East Geelong.

It's funny, I was just having another look around Corio where our "Cheapie" is.

I have been told that Corio is slightly better than Norlane, but as someone said, if you have good LL insurance, don't worry. Still plenty under $200,000 down there.
Our rent will be going up to $200 a week soon, so even after replacing the Hot water system and a new side fence, it's still been good.

Happy IP shopping!

it is becoming international. The approval is being fast tracked. It still wont be major, but will probably start with some SE Asian tourist locations. But who knows where it will lead.

The Geelong ring road opens this weekend. This means it's around 12 minutes from Corio to Waurn Ponds, saving 26 sets of traffic lights. It might be worth looking at the other side of Geelong now.

Hi all,

Interesting thread about Geelong, without a mention of the Geelong West/North Geelong (southern part) area.

Close to

The Geelong CBD,
Pakington st cafe area,
Train stations for commute to Melb with the new expenditure between Werribee and Nth Melb likely to speed up train times.
Easy access to the ring road.(via Midland Hwy)
Deakin Uni Waterfront campus only a stroll away.
Beach, :rolleyes: well, water close by.

Mind you I'm not biased at all having IP there. :p

bye

Just wondering if anyone is looking at Geelong Vic for investment now? I know there is a new highway going through there, just wondering if anyone has any opinions on what will happen with property prices and if it's a good area to consider. Especially interested in Grovedale near the Marshall train station.

Would really welcome any of your thoughts.

Geelong is a very pretty and scenic town in parts and is a nice place to visit. However, I am not sure what impact this current down turn will have on the town. The manufacturing sector in Geelong employs many people, with Ford being one of the major employers. The car and manufacturing industries are having a difficult time at the moment, and no doubt this will have an economic impact on Geelong.

Geelong was heavily affected during the last economic down turn. The collapse of the Pyramid Building Society caused a great deal of hardship to the people in the town at the time. It took many, many years for the town to recover from the last recession. Personally, I'd rather put my money into a major capital city where there is a greater diversity of employment opportunities, leading to a higher demand for residential property, both from owner occupiers and tenants.

Regards Jason.

Is it best to purchase a house <$200k in Whittington or spend a bit more ~$250k and purchase around Belmont etc..? There is a lot of discussion in this post about staying clear of Norlane and Corio as they are commission however no mention of Whittington which I have found to be cheap and closer to the CBD...

Just wondering if anyone is looking at Geelong Vic for investment now? I know there is a new highway going through there, just wondering if anyone has any opinions on what will happen with property prices and if it's a good area to consider. Especially interested in Grovedale near the Marshall train station.

Would really welcome any of your thoughts.
Hi I brought in Grovedale on the Marshall Town side 2 years ago 3bd + study 2 living areas and open plan kitchen dinning with outdoor entertainment and spa on 890m2. paid $250 and it rented for $290 then now it is valued at $285 and rents for $320. Only painted and re carpeted. I did a lot of recearch into pros and cons of various areas and feel it paid off.
Also brought in Drysdale last year 3 bd dbl carport and dbl garage bbq pagola area 2 bathroom on 780m2 for $265 and it is now valued at $325. However it was during the downturn good timeing.
Go with your gut. having been a tennant my whole life they look past certian things what is the place like when I some home and close the door.

Norlane West is great .

Hi all ,
In 2002 , my wife and I bought a house on 1000 sq.m ( 1/4 acre ) in Norlane West as it was very affordable and had plenty of space . We are still here and don't plan on moving anytime soon . We have never been broken into , never seen any violence and have great Aussie neighbours who have all lived here for years . The ring road gets us to Melbourne in 40 mins with no tolls on a new freeway and to Bells Beach in the opposite direction in about half an hour . We're five minutes from great fishing in Corio Bay and 10 mins from Geelong CBD . We're 10 minutes from Avalon Airport also which I believe has the go ahead to become international and if you head west , you're in beautiful countryside within five minutes . What I'm saying is , don't believe the crap you read about Norlane and Corio . To us , this is THE location . Also , the grass is green and the soil is magnificent . The mortgage and rates are church money and the taxi drivers speak Astraelian and know where they're going . What more do you want ?

Anyone know if that new Vicroads office is up and running in Geelong yet?

And what about the central shopping centre upgrade? Looked like it was going to be at least double the size?

If anyone knows about any other new developments happening in Geelong, let us know :)

Anyone know if that new Vicroads office is up and running in Geelong yet?

And what about the central shopping centre upgrade? Looked like it was going to be at least double the size?

If anyone knows about any other new developments happening in Geelong, let us know :)

Hi ya V,

Do you mean the relocation of the TAC from Melb CBD to Geelong? If so, that is now in place. Westfield have done the expansion/reno to the shopping centre and looks great.

I haven't bought in Geelong, however have looked for some time in the past for resi with good dirt. Also for industrial around the North Shore and Corio.

I like Geelong. That strip of the Princess Freeway will be full one day just like the M.1 linking the Gold Coast to Brissy. A mix of housing back off the freeway and industrial along the periphery of the road. Won't be long before Werribee to Lara is developed.

Thanks for your insights Matt and welcome to the forum. I also think that Corio and parts of Norlane are good for the amenity and affordability they offer, especially if one can buy with enough land for a potential future two or three townhouse development.

Back