Getting a quote but doing the work yourself?

Hi, I'm not sure which forum group this was best to go in. I've tried searching but with no success.

Went to court a few weeks ago to get possession of house back from tenants who stayed on past the end of their lease. The member awarded me the full amount of their bond as payment towards outstanding rent and invoices. Unfortunately I now don't have any bond to clean up the property and attend to minor damages.

I can clean so don't mind getting in and doing it myself. The PM said she can arrange a cleaning quote so I can claim it. Is that to claim against the tenant on the next court visit, insurance, or tax? I'm guessing it's for the tenant as if I haven't spent the money I can't claim it on tax and I don't think the insurer would reimburse my time.

Any tips? Is a quote good enough, or should I pay someone to do the work and then submit an invoice?
I have read QCAT judgments, and in a lot of cases the full invoice was not paid because the invoice was not detailed enough (i.e. needed to break it down into cleaned fans, replaced handles on cupboard, repaired lock on fence)

Thanks, allegria

Last edited:
I suggest your first point of call is your insurance company, if you claim the cost on insurance why not? They may request two quotes, or offer a cash settlement.

If you pay a contractor this will be tax deductible.

If you do the work you cannot claim for your labour. You can claim dump fees if applicable, or possibly some cleaning products (with receipts).
Marg

Still waiting to hear back from the insurance company but reading their claim form it doesn't look promising.

The following costs are NOT CLAIMABLE as damage but are costs which may be deducted from the bond:
 Clean up (eg. Carpet cleaning, lawns and gardens, rubbish removal, accumulation of dirt and minor damage over the tenancy)
 Re-letting fee or part thereof (where payable under a fixed term lease)
 General repairs and tenant neglect"

Bond Disbursements (clean up and other allowable costs under the bond)
Note: Clean up and allowable costs that exceed the bond are not claimable and all claims are subject to policy limits.

:-(

I wonder why the QCAT member awarded the whole of the bond to be paid for rent/outstanding invoices when the tenant was still in the property and we couldn't forecast if it would be clean and undamaged come eviction day.

Gotta view it as a lesson for next time (fingers crossed there isn't) I guess :rolleyes:

Has anyone ever asked for a hearing which was in their favour to be reviewed? (to award me only part of the bond for the outstanding invoices, leaving some bond there that I can use to clean up and fix the damages and then claim the unpaid rent on insurance).

I can take the tenant back to court can't I? But given I've been to the property and collected some letters which look to be overdue bills/fines, it's unlikely she'll be able to pay. We also don't have a forwarding address, but my friend knows her extended family where she indicated to me she was staying, so I can probably serve notice there

I know I can pay someone to clean/repair and then claim it on tax, but I will still be out of pocket for the majority of the invoice and its an expense I could really do without.

Thanks for reading to the end of my rambling :D

could you not claim on the insurance for the outstanding rent and invoices and then use the bond for cleaning?

could you not claim on the insurance for the outstanding rent and invoices and then use the bond for cleaning?

I'll certainly be asking the insurer! The bond was deposited into my account today, along with a statement from the real estate allocating it into the 3 areas (water invoice, plumbing invoice, rent). I've got zero experience in this - only claim I've ever made was a small car bingle, and this is my first tenancy. This sounds dodgy, but perhaps the RE can issue a new statement? Bond used for water, plumbing, cleaning, repairs, and date rent paid to shifted a week or so earlier. I know that they must allocate the rent to what the tenant has said it is for (i.e. rent) but don't know how court judgement works.

Any advice about the whole end of lease/claiming money back process gratefully received.
Advice about anything $ related really :p

I'll certainly be asking the insurer! The bond was deposited into my account today, along with a statement from the real estate allocating it into the 3 areas (water invoice, plumbing invoice, rent). I've got zero experience in this - only claim I've ever made was a small car bingle, and this is my first tenancy. This sounds dodgy, but perhaps the RE can issue a new statement? Bond used for water, plumbing, cleaning, repairs, and date rent paid to shifted a week or so earlier. I know that they must allocate the rent to what the tenant has said it is for (i.e. rent) but don't know how court judgement works.

If the court has ordered the bond be used in a specific way, then the RE must adhere to the court ruling. They are not going to risk their licence by issuing a false statement.

You would also put your insurance at risk if they found out you had lodged a false claim. It is actually fraud.

Unless you can appeal the court decision, their ruling is final and binding on everyone.

Honesty really is the best way to go.
Marg

Could you total the losses not covered by the bond and send a letter of demand? This should allow you then to put a notice on TICA wouldn't it? Your PM should be able to walk you through the process.

Cheers.

Back