Getting DA and cancelling the building contract

Hi All
Whats the process on getting Development Approval for a site and then deciding to onsell the DA instead of proceeding with building?

Its been over 7 weeks and my builder still has not produced the working drawings that were promised to be delivered in 2 weeks and im down 8k. This delay is costing me money in holding costs and more importantly its about another 7-8k for demo costs since we wont make the Jan1st deadline when landfill rates increase by 40%.

We are not off to a good start and i can only imagine what other delays i will get during the building process. I also have a feeling that the building costings will explode when i get the contract due to the increase in land fill rates because im paying over 100k in site works to remove clay.

So basically what happens with the timing for DA and contract signing? If the costings increase then i want to avoid signing the building contract but i dont want them to stop (or not start) the DA process.

Aren't there any cheap tips which accept VENM in Perth? or is it contaminated fill?

How much fill are you talking about, even at Sydney rates for Timbriki VENM is $160/t & mixed waste is $290/t

What does your contract say? I assume they own the design and not you so although you can technically sell the block with DA the buyer won't have the right to use the plans unless they use your builder.

Re demolition, Jan 1 is ages away, why can't you demolish prior? If you've got DA and are just waiting g for working drawings there is more than enough time surely.

Hi All
Whats the process on getting Development Approval for a site and then deciding to onsell the DA instead of proceeding with building?

Its been over 7 weeks and my builder still has not produced the working drawings that were promised to be delivered in 2 weeks and im down 8k. This delay is costing me money in holding costs and more importantly its about another 7-8k for demo costs since we wont make the Jan1st deadline when landfill rates increase by 40%.

We are not off to a good start and i can only imagine what other delays i will get during the building process. I also have a feeling that the building costings will explode when i get the contract due to the increase in land fill rates because im paying over 100k in site works to remove clay.

So basically what happens with the timing for DA and contract signing? If the costings increase then i want to avoid signing the building contract but i dont want them to stop (or not start) the DA process.

Tano do you have DA already? I didn't think you did? If you don't then they are just DA drawings and working drawings aren't done until after DA approval and the working drawings are used for building permit.

Generally you don't sign a construction contract until after DA but you might be required to do a PPA (Preparaton of Plans Agreement) which is a few k and also should state on there the price of the plan copyright.

Its not contaimated fill but i assume the 40% increase still applies.

I dont want to demolish just incase i cannot build a development site. There is a bylaw preventing me from developing but the builder has a verbal ok from the top planner for this development. He said he is very confident we get DA otherwise he wouldnt waste both our times with the drawings etc.

No building contract signed yet. I have paid my 8k (4 unit site) which includes concept drawings, site survey, soil report and working drawings.

I thought you needed the working drawings for DA approval?

Maybe i have got the term wrong, but im getting plans showing the dimensions of all the rooms, elevations,room layouts, electrical plan.

Im also doing another development with my brother and we have the these detailed drawings and we will go to council soon.

If you're paying that much I would assume you'd own the copyright, what are the terms you agreed to? It should all be listed out in terms of who owns what etc. I'm also surprised you've had to pay the entire amount upfront j clouding cost of workingg drawings because there no guarantee you'll get to that stage, you only di working drawings after the DA, in order to obtain build licence.
I

Its not contaimated fill but i assume the 40% increase still applies.

I dont want to demolish just incase i cannot build a development site. There is a bylaw preventing me from developing but the builder has a verbal ok from the top planner for this development. He said he is very confident we get DA otherwise he wouldnt waste both our times with the drawings etc.

No building contract signed yet. I have paid my 8k (4 unit site) which includes concept drawings, site survey, soil report and working drawings.

I thought you needed the working drawings for DA approval?

Maybe i have got the term wrong, but im getting plans showing the dimensions of all the rooms, elevations,room layouts, electrical plan.

Im also doing another development with my brother and we have the these detailed drawings and we will go to council soon.

Hi Tano

From my experience it went concept drawings > da approval from council ( 6-12 weeks) > ppa agreement and deposit for working drawings (upto 90 days) > building permit from council.

Hi Tano

From my experience it went concept drawings > da approval from council ( 6-12 weeks) > ppa agreement and deposit for working drawings (upto 90 days) > building permit from council.

I will have to check my contract. So the drawings i have now for my other build and the drawings i expect soon from this 4 unit site (10 page document with elevations, layouts, every single dimension for walls/windows etc) is called Detailed or 'DA' drawings?

These are the notes i have made for the general process. Is there anything thats really out of order?

1. One week later the preliminary (concept) designs are produced
2. 1-2 Weeks for revisions of concept design (if you change the design)
3. Organise underground power (green dome) from Western Power for site (if not already available). This takes 3-6 months to be installed and should be energised before construction begins.
4. Two weeks later the price for the 'Builders Costing' is produced (House=exact, siteworks=preliminary)
a. Sign "notice to home owner- work affecting other land"
b. Sign "BA1 – Application for building permit – certified" Form
c. Sign "BA2 – Application for building permit – uncertified" Form
d. Sign Councils 'Application for Planning Approval' form
e. Pay deposit for each house for the working plans
5. Obtain pre approval finance using 'Builders Costing' if not done in the feasibility stage
6. 2-3 Weeks later detailed drawings are produced
7. Builder submits detailed drawings to council for approval . See Development Application Process for the Council Approval Process
8. Sign Preparaton of Plans Agreement (PPA) Agreement
9. Estimating (final site costs)
10. Sign Builders Contract and ensure completion date is included-> Do we wait until the Construction Certificate is issued before signing the contract?????
11. Pre-start (non structural changes) ->Pick wall paint colours and cabinet colours, choose/upgrade materials (tapware, basins, ovens, toilets) , specify finishes, add a door, add/move electrical points etc
12. Obtain finance approval using fixed price contract. Give a copy of the contract to the bank.
13. Final Working Plans (working drawings) are produced to get a building permit from council
14. Once council condionally approves development (DA) then they stamp the plans (The council approval is valid for 2 years).
15. Job is scheduled

Actually the point of difference is I had a drafty do my plans and then submitted DA to council. Then tendered plans to builders for price. Chosen builder then did working drawings after signed ppa.

Back