Getting Finance in NZ

I am looking at helping my father out in NZ and buying into half of his property. From some limited advice we have been given, we are possibly going to set up a family trust, but am unsure of my options for finance.

I have been in touch with a broker in NZ, but I am looking at other options too, as I am unsure whether he is the broker I would like to use.

Has anyone here bought property in NZ and obtained finance there? Any recommendations?

Not sure whether they still do it as i havent done one for years but Firstmac used to cross Tasman loans in the right town.

Yes, First Mac was who I used.

They would only lend at 70%LVR and Interest rates are higher. It wouldn't suprise me if the LVR were less now.

Regards Jo

Some banks have a dedicated non resident lending department.

I helped a client in Malaysia purchase and fund a NZ property.

I've always arranged finance with a New Zealand bank, always easy at 80% LVR.Just produced the normal documents like pay slips, bank statements from here.

Check out the whole trust thing though. From my research it was very expensive to have a party to the trust offshore. From memory, it was something like requiring the trust to be audited annually.

Thanks for all the help. My accountant in Australia said it is probably better financing individual.

I am unsure of the ways property deductions work in nz.

I plan on financing half, with 50/50 share ownership with father, but his cash money will fund his 50% and my income will fund the other financed 50%. He will live in the property with a boarder and I will receive rent from the boarder and pay interest on loan myself.

I am unclear on how deductions would work this way.

Back