Getting paid to participate in surveys

Hi All

Just curious.

I have been involved in surveys with various market research companies for at least 10 years now.

Basically its a real mixed bag, surveys can cover issues such as milk (tasting), politics, community issues etc. Generally there are about 10-12 people involved in the survey and we meet at their office, free parking.

The reason I raise this is because I am attending one today and am pretty excited, this topic is "local councils".

I get paid for doing this and its fun.... $80 for 2 hours, a cup of coffee and sandwiches.

OK, maybe its not for everyone, but I really enjoy this and I get to meet various people from all walks of life.

Anyone interested in doing this should contact various market research companies as some of these companies are always looking for people. My daughter who is a student also participates in surveys, she loves it $80 is huge for a student.

Cheers
MTR:)

Hi MTR, I've been thinking about doing this myself. Any tips on who to contact? Any particular groups that are better than others.

Would like to increase cashflow whilst I'm building my client base.

Hi All

Just curious.

I have been involved in surveys with various market research companies for at least 10 years now.

Basically its a real mixed bag, surveys can cover issues such as milk (tasting), politics, community issues etc. Generally there are about 10-12 people involved in the survey and we meet at their office, free parking.

The reason I raise this is because I am attending one today and am pretty excited, this topic is "local councils".

I get paid for doing this and its fun.... $80 for 2 hours, a cup of coffee and sandwiches.

OK, maybe its not for everyone, but I really enjoy this and I get to meet various people from all walks of life.

Anyone interested in doing this should contact various market research companies as some of these companies are always looking for people. My daughter who is a student also participates in surveys, she loves it $80 is huge for a student.

Cheers

Reminds me of the scene from Fun with Dick and Jane (movie with Jim Carrey and Tea Leoni).

:eek:

Yeah, nah.

:D

Hi MTR, I've been thinking about doing this myself. Any tips on who to contact? Any particular groups that are better than others.

Would like to increase cashflow whilst I'm building my client base.

I recommend you phone as many as you can, and get onto their database.

Don't expect to make a fortune from this as it wont be regular income, but its OK.

If you can tick a minority box (gay, CALD, ATSI etc) you'll be in great demand for focus groups like this.

In a totally different area of earning a few bucks and meeting people... I once knew a guy who did medical research trials. A couple of times a year he'd spend a few nights in a hospital, get poked and prodded and receive a a few hundred a night.

If you can tick a minority box (gay, CALD, ATSI etc) you'll be in great demand for focus groups like this.

In a totally different area of earning a few bucks and meeting people... I once knew a guy who did medical research trials. A couple of times a year he'd spend a few nights in a hospital, get poked and prodded and receive a a few hundred a night.

That's interesting, I don't think I want anyone poking and prodding especially around the head area, besides its a waste of time they wont find anything:p

I have been to a few of these things as well. Usually $80-$120 cashies. Interesting topics like wine, fitness, bananas, white goods.

You just have to fit the target demographic - unfortunately there isn't much call for opinionated grumpy old men like me ;)

I've never been asked those type of demographic questions ever! Only ever M/F, age and location and sometimes get screened out on just one of those.

Is this generally suitable for people with full-time working hours (aka. are they usually held during weekdays, or do you often come across weekend/night sessions)?

I did a few when I was in uni but never really thought much about it. It would be a fun way to make a bit on the side, especially if it involves games or food (maybe not pet food though).

I have been to a few of these things as well. Usually $80-$120 cashies. Interesting topics like wine, fitness, bananas, white goods.

You just have to fit the target demographic - unfortunately there isn't much call for opinionated grumpy old men like me ;)

My favourite.... wine, yes I did forget to mention they are cashies.
Infact, one day I turned up and they had too many people for the survey, they promptly gave me an envelop with my money and sent me home... they stuffed up:)

I've never been asked those type of demographic questions ever! Only ever M/F, age and location and sometimes get screened out on just one of those.

I am always screened prior to selection, and not necessarily picked as I do not always meet their criteria.

Its totally dependent on what the survey is about. Some questions they have asked if its pertaining to education would go something like this ....

Do you have any children under 16
Do you have any children attending university

If its about wine, it will be....

Do you drink wine
How many times per week etc etc.

Is this generally suitable for people with full-time working hours (aka. are they usually held during weekdays, or do you often come across weekend/night sessions)?

I did a few when I was in uni but never really thought much about it. It would be a fun way to make a bit on the side, especially if it involves games or food (maybe not pet food though).

I started doing this when I had a day job, however it what part-time so always seemed to fit it in.

Now I am available anytime. I have also attended some of these in the evening.

Focus groups

Both Hubby and I have done this too over the years & passed details on to friends who have been very thankful.

Generally after work hours - 6pm or 8pm start times. Can be during the day too. Offer refreshments.

I don't bother with the "answer these questions and get points" surveys, I only go for the face to face stuff.

You are only supposed to do 1 every 6 months. You have a better chance of getting some if you-

have a mortgage
have kids
have pets
drink
smoke

Last one Hubby did was on coffee, and he got $140 worth of Coles vouchers & didn't even have to leave home - he had to sign in to a live online portal !

We've had a few at home, where we have had to find 4 other mates, the market researcher comes over, shows a few TV ads on banking or beer, we discuss, get paid then everyone goes home.

Are you ever worried about privacy issues? (ie. info being sold to marketing companies, etc).

Especially when it comes to questions about your financial/property situation.

Hehe, I work for these companies. Been in the industry for 10 years.....

I used to work for Nielsen and each quarter they ran a prize draw giving away $10k cash or a car. The winners were always so surprised when we called them. In addition they paid really well for online surveys and some screened you for these focus groups.

Since then Nielsen sold their panel to another market research company and it's gone down hill.

On the data side of things, it's all very safe. They strip your name and contact details when analysing data. Only using generic demograhpic information like age, gender and location for quotas.

Back