Getting rid of "old" people smell :P

No, just get rid of the mothballs :p That is the only smell I associate with older people.

Seriously though, open the windows/doors and air the place out. This may take weeks depending on the condition, steam cleam carpet (or even new carpet depending how bad it is), a thorough clean elsewhere and maybe even painting (if required) will fix it right up.

I bought a deceased estate, which was probably locked up for 6 months whilst in probate and during the auction campaign, and smelled pretty bad. Old carpets, no ventilation, dusty. Great cocktail for a foul smell. But of course it can't be linked totally to being owned by an older individual.

Open the windows for a few days.

No, just get rid of the mothballs :p That is the only smell I associate with older people.

Seriously though, open the windows/doors and air the place out. This may take weeks depending on the condition, steam cleam carpet (or even new carpet depending how bad it is), a thorough clean elsewhere and maybe even painting (if required) will fix it right up.

I bought a deceased estate, which was probably locked up for 6 months whilst in probate and during the auction campaign, and smelled pretty bad. Old carpets, no ventilation, dusty. Great cocktail for a foul smell. But of course it can't be linked totally to being owned by an older individual.

Cheers guys! :)

It sounds like it is probably "old house" smell rather than "old people" smell.

Where you buy a house that has had two old people living in it for many many years. so the carpet is musty and they like to use moth balls and the furniture and curtains are still the originals from the 50's:eek:

It probably needs airing and a good professional clean of the carpets.

Now I know that my wife is not the only person to refer to this particular odour as "the old people's smell"....:D

Cheers,

The Y-man

The carpet in the upstairs level of our house has "old person smell" and it isn't even that old!

I have steam cleaned and aired the place out, steam cleaning helped, but didn't get rid of it... especially when it is warm!

I have repainted upstairs... helped but it is still there.

So once or twice a week when i vac i kill it off with carpet deoderiser..... now it smells like "ocean mist" that fades over the week so i get Old person ocean mist until finally it reverts to old person.

The carpet in the upstairs level of our house has "old person smell" and it isn't even that old!

I have steam cleaned and aired the place out, steam cleaning helped, but didn't get rid of it... especially when it is warm!

I have repainted upstairs... helped but it is still there.

So once or twice a week when i vac i kill it off with carpet deoderiser..... now it smells like "ocean mist" that fades over the week so i get Old person ocean mist until finally it reverts to old person.

After all that, you may need to consult an exorcist :)

I just realised that this is posted in "adding value" - what do you suppose the actual $ figure in added value is on removing old people smell?

Try the old bicarb of soda.

I bought a caravan which had the old person's smell in it. I put bicarb in a bowl and stirred it up every couple of days and then replenished with new bicarb each fortnight. Took a while but smelt much better after about 6 weeks.

You would need massive bowls of this in each room to help remove the odour in a house. Anyway, just a thought.

Kinga

Do the reserch first! Go to an old age care home and as the smell knocks you cleane off your feet, and before you hit the ground ask youself, was that the smell?

I put bicarb in a bowl and stirred it up every couple of days and then replenished with new bicarb each fortnight. Took a while but smelt much better after about 6 weeks.

Kinga - that was because your olfactory senses were being smacked for a six.

You would need massive bowls of this in each room to help remove the odour in a house.

Keep replenishing every so often like Kinga and you'll be as pickled as the old folks who were there originally. ;)

Back