Getting rid of swimming pool

Am looking at a potential development site where there is a swimming pool at the rear of the property. Not sure at this point whether it is concrete or fibre glass.
How expensive, what is required to remove the pool??

Thanks
MTR:)

Am looking at a potential development site where there is a swimming pool at the rear of the property. Not sure at this point whether it is concrete or fibre glass.
How expensive, what is required to remove the pool??

Thanks

I looked into it once and it was far cheaper to fill the pool in than remove it. I was quoted $2500 to fill it and it was a yard with limited access so that was to cart the dirt in by bobcat.

Not sure what council would think of this idea though, I didn't get that far.

RC

I looked into it once and it was far cheaper to fill the pool in than remove it. I was quoted $2500 to fill it and it was a yard with limited access so that was to cart the dirt in by bobcat.

Not sure what council would think of this idea though, I didn't get that far.

RC

I think filling it in would be fine , if you simply didnt want the pool. Chuck some soil and grass down instead so that you dont have to deal with tenants drowning themselves.

If you want to build / develop however, I doubt thatll fly.

If you are going to fill it, you do need council approval / certifier.

Did one a few years ago. They cut a hole in the bottom for drainage, then trucked in dirt, compacted in layers etc.

I ended up putting a slab over the top as well.

Probably similar to filling in old septic tanks.

Soil would need to be correctly compacted, and i'd want to do it some time before building to ensure any settling has completed i've seen situations where settling has led to cracking of new slabs in rushed constructions.

My family had one in perth - must have been fibreglass.

We managed to make a deal with someone - they came and took the pool (had to use a crane to get it over the house) for free.

Once they had the pool, they where reluctant to fill in the hole with clean fill as per the original agreement, but they ended up doing it in the end. I don't know if thats a possibility you may have open? This was in perth about 5 years ago.

Waldo
I don't think I would be keen on this arrangement just in case there was an accident etc adds another layer of risk.
I have allowed $10K for this process and the figures still stacking up, just thought it would be interesting to find out if anyone has been down this road and get an idea on costs.

Thanks

I paid just under 3 K last year to smash the floor of a large pool and spa and fill. It was on the Gold Coast.

MTR, if you've allowed 10 K (unless it is somewhere remote) I think you've covered the contingency well and truly.

Is it metro area?

I paid just under 3 K last year to smash the floor of a large pool and spa and fill. It was on the Gold Coast.

MTR, if you've allowed 10 K (unless it is somewhere remote) I think you've covered the contingency well and truly.

Is it metro area?

Yes, metro. Was this fibre glass?

I will be building in this area so I guess it may cost more for compacting, perhaps would need more concrete for slab to mitigate movement? I am not an engineer, but these issues have been raised. I do feel $10K is substantial amount to allocate.

I generally would not touch anything with a pool at rear but when there is no land available and there is high demand I will buy anything if it makes sense.

Thanks

Yes, metro. Was this fibre glass?

No, it was concrete. Pool size was circa 100,000 litres plus a spa.

Also compacted adequately along the way. It is now a pride and joy of kidney shaped lawn for the tenant :D

I will be building in this area so I guess it may cost more for compacting, perhaps would need more concrete for slab to mitigate movement? I am not an engineer, but these issues have been raised. I do feel $10K is substantial amount to allocate.

I generally would not touch anything with a pool at rear but when there is no land available and there is high demand I will buy anything if it makes sense.

Me, too. Pool in IP is not for me. As you state if it makes sense then add it into your sums and feasibility. It was peanuts to get rid of and far cheaper than fencing the thing. I am land banking this one. Numbers were good. I paid the same price as the previous owner paid eight years earlier albeit now it came with a DA for a medical centre in two stages. It's best use however might be as a block of apartments, that I will likely undertake. It's nice when banks are selling properties and you are the only bidder :)

Thanks

Characters.......

Just be aware that you may need a demolition approval to remove the pool - it is a requirement in QLD in any case. You should contact a certifier.

Thanks. This property did not hit the market, owners now planning to develop themselves, some people starting to wise up... damn it.

Back