Getting trade price

This feels like stupid question but...

Is it common practice to ask for trade price for renovation/building supplies when you aren't in the trade???

I always did when I was a salaried mechanic buying stuff for my own or a friends vehicle (back in the day)

How many people on the forum do ask and how successful are you? Anyone ever get challenged?

Cheeeeeeeers

Jeff

I have often wondered whether you need to produce a "business card"/proof?

Havent tried myself - but would be interested to hear how others go......

I tell them I have a large project on and will be using there store for most of the purchases. I applied for an account and got it too. Very handy! But I still have to remind the sales staff about the discount. I'm getting about 12%.

Don't know how you would go at bigger stores though?

you just require copy of your building permit - and then you get to apply for the card.

i applied for one - last for 2 years but you don't get massive discounts just $1.5 here and $5 or $10 here.

I rather purchase from mitre10 or even better from china.

This feels like stupid question but...

Is it common practice to ask for trade price for renovation/building supplies when you aren't in the trade???

I always did when I was a salaried mechanic buying stuff for my own or a friends vehicle (back in the day)

How many people on the forum do ask and how successful are you? Anyone ever get challenged?

Cheeeeeeeers

Jeff

Be nice and cosy with the salesperson.Crack few jokes and usually they will fix u up.

Maybe pay cash and they usually give you discount.

Maybe say your mate came here last week and they got the stuff at trade price etc etc

If you go in to get "stuff" - make sure you are dressed like a tradie, and just ask them "is that trade price?" and then don't act surprised if they give you a discount.

Even better, call first and ask for trade price. If they ask "do you have an account", say you will have to get one sorted soon but will pay cash this time.

Good luck :D

If you go in to get "stuff" - make sure you are dressed like a tradie, and just ask them "is that trade price?" and then don't act surprised if they give you a discount.

Even better, call first and ask for trade price. If they ask "do you have an account", say you will have to get one sorted soon but will pay cash this time.

Good luck :D

+1 for this. I went into my local hardware dressed in my hi-vis fluro shirt (I drive a delivery truck)....

Them "trade mate??" .... Me (caught off guard) "Errrrr... Yep".

End result, a significant trade discount. :)

We spend a fair bit at our local MItre 10 and they have at times given us trade discount. They have certainly told us if you have a building permit for anything they will give it to you.

+1 from me too, Moo Man.

I've had similar results in similar circumstances. Appearance is everything sometimes.

To be honest, I have used "trade price" numerous times where it wasn't actually justified and have never been 'caught out'. I've just never done it on big purchases, or regularly.

I think that if you act like it's your right, not a privilege, then you're much more likely to get it. Especially if you can scope your locale a bit beforehand and come in looking like 'trade'.

Back