WOW aren't you lucky

I don't know about anyone else here on Somersoft. But this statement annoys me the most.
Recently at a friends BBQ I was asked about a unit I own, I went on to discuss with this person how it was going and that it was doing really well and had excellent tenants. Then for the person sitting on the other side of me who wasn't involved in the conversation to say "Wow, aren't you lucky" and then left it at that.
This left my blood boiling as she has no idea the sacrifices that I made to buy that unit and how much effort I put into it renovating it (former PPOR).
Just wanted to vent this sorry, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who gets annoyed when people say this to them

LOL easy reply

....... yes I certainly am!

There is no need to justify yourself to people that have no common reality.

I wouldn't let something as small as this get to you.

Honestly, the best way to deal with these people are to give the obligatory 'you have no fu<k!ng idea you tw@t' roll eyes and turn your back on them and continue your conversation.

Giving them any verbal acknowledgement just feeds them.

pinkboy

Yep. If I reply I just say something along the lines of "I worked hard to get where I am" and leave it at that.

Similar thing when I was a photographer and people would see my photos and say "wow, you must have a really good camera" *sigh*

I was once told I was lucky for being ok to buy in the western suburbs cos poor her couldn't bear to live out there and will never be able to afford to buy her own home :(

The harder you work the luckier you get.
Marg

That's probably the best reply .

I was thinking something along the lines of , yep . I'm lucky I got off my backside and did something , but I'd probably say something like

... It just comes down to doing your research and being prepared to do something .

Cliff

Do a Taylor Swift on them and shake it off man.
If you're serious about success, comments like these should make you laugh, not get angry. Let them be the ones getting angry when you laugh off their comments with total confidence.
There's so many people in this word determined to remain average their whole lives, don't try to stop them because theres just to many of them, let them be.

We had someone say the same to us a few months ago. That person must be in their mid 30's....and said we were lucky that we bought in Sydney. I tried to explain but couldn't really get the message across so quickly changed the topic. The person also added they had a family friend who bought lots of land in Kellyville surrounds and slowly sold their lots and had developers knocking on their door....surely when these people bought the land it would have still been 'expensive' and people would have rubbished it saying it was way too far for anyone to live in...

Often people don't realise how much work goes into where you get to. I read a quote recently that said success looks like overnight success to outsiders....

So many people said that to me recently about being lucky.
But it wasn't about owning a property. It was about having income protection.

I had 5 months off work with an injury and I was covered by personal income protection. So many people questioned me about who I was going to live/cover expenses. I told them it was simple...I have income protection insurance....." Well aren't you lucky, I don't know how I could survive if I had no income for that long" was the normal reply.

Lucky?? You take out an insurance policy and cover yourself. Unlucky if you have an injury and don't have protection....well maybe stupid if you don't have any cover.

My "lucky" story:

I was "lucky", I had a unit in West Ryde purchased back in 2005. In 2008 we bought a house in the Epping area. I kept the unit because in 2008 as there wasn't really any capital appreciation in the property at the time. Then the full force of the GFC was felt. I was given notice of redundancy less than 1 month from the date of moving into the new place, and on my birthday that year to boot! I could see the reports at work, in October 2008 all the sales were going backwards.

I got paid a redundancy payout after working for the company for 6 years. The redundancy pay was equal to 7-8 months of salary when I include leave entitlements. I wisely used that as a deposit for my second investment property. (I could've blown the lot by going travelling and/or had vision correction surgery, bought a new car).... "Luckily" I decided to invest it, and "luckily" I landed a new job basically immediately (I basically had a choice of two job opportunities, one via a recruitment agency and another through an ex colleague) and this was during the GFC :).

A colleague also was laid off at the same time but he took about 6 months to find a job, I know another guy who was unemployed for about 8 months and finally could only get a job paying a lot less and another guy who ended up not finding work and ended up moving interstate with this family. Another guy struggled for months to get work more recently... I guess I had skills that were still sort after and I have to say, I had enough experience but I was not old... to be honest, age discrimination is real.

I took a shortish (domestic) holiday, driving down to Melbourne and Tasmania, and then started the new job.

Been working ever since, left that company I joined in 2009 after 4 years there, did a couple of short term contracts, bought another investment property (experienced another boom).

In the meantime during those 4 years I had also sold the original IP, the Sydney market had boomed in 2009/10, bought another but that new one I completely renovated (converted from 1 bedroom to 2 with a bit of planning). That property was sold through a poor agent with a vendor over in South Australia. Got it for a great price. That conversion of that property was worth 70k in value immediately. The harder you work, the luckier you are... In this case I was knowledgeable as to its value and I jumped on it straight away after considering the possibilities of this property.

Anyway, my very latest IP I rent out on Airbnb and the rental returns are very strong. Its more work than a typical rental but it's worth it. Am I lucky? Sure, you can call it that....

So that's my story.... I plan to retire in 5 years but I really like my job so in 5 years time I could end up working two days a week.... House is almost paid off and by my next birthday there will be no more interest payments. "Lucky" i've been paying this off at an accelerated rate during times of low interest rates...

Life is a lotto, ie born in the right country, gene pool, family etc etc.
Luck does play a part in the big picture

Not really sure why it matters if people say you are lucky or not, who cares.

I don't know about anyone else here on Somersoft. But this statement annoys me the most.
Recently at a friends BBQ I was asked about a unit I own, I went on to discuss with this person how it was going and that it was doing really well and had excellent tenants. Then for the person sitting on the other side of me who wasn't involved in the conversation to say "Wow, aren't you lucky" and then left it at that.
This left my blood boiling as she has no idea the sacrifices that I made to buy that unit and how much effort I put into it renovating it (former PPOR).
Just wanted to vent this sorry, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who gets annoyed when people say this to them
My interpretation of that person's statement sounds like they were commenting on your good run with the property and the good tenant - maybe they have had their fair share of terrible tenants? (like everyone)

Of course; it might also be the usual tall poppy mentality of folks who think you are lucky to have an IP....:rolleyes:

My interpretation is different from yours..they were just making a response back in a good way, arent you lucky?

Nowadays people always take things the wrong way and start getting angry, without mentiining the OP i believe its how your brought up.
Last year i got into trouble for calling a work colleague "darling" she lodged a written complaint,i didnt know here she was just ringing from one dept to the other and i called her darling in one of the sentences when i was speaking to her and apparently she was shocked and had to go for trauma counselling, i work for the state public service.
Another time i mentionrd to several collegaues thst the sky was coming over black one afternoon during a storm.
The next day my immediate superviser told me one of the team i had been with complained it sounded "racist".

Last year i got into trouble for calling a work colleague "darling" she lodged a written complaint,i didnt know here she was just ringing from one dept to the other and i called her darling in one of the sentences when i was speaking to her and apparently she was shocked and had to go for trauma counselling, i work for the state public service.
Another time i mentionrd to several collegaues thst the sky was coming over black one afternoon during a storm.
The next day my immediate superviser told me one of the team i had been with complained it sounded "racist".

Well, the racist comment is probably a bit far, but I'm with the other one on someone calling me 'darling'.

To be honest, that is my pet hate. When someone I don't know, (and they are often much younger than me), calls me "love" or "darling" or similar. Yes, I know they think there's nothing wrong in that, but those words just make my blood boil.

I am not THEIR "love" or "darling" or "sweetie"! They don't know me, and I find it quite insulting, as if they are looking down on me. You might use that term when speaking to a young child, "there you go, sweetie", or when speaking to someone that you care about. Not to someone who is a stranger or a work colleague.

My interpretation is different from yours..they were just making a response back in a good way, arent you lucky?

Nowadays people always take things the wrong way and start getting angry, without mentiining the OP i believe its how your brought up.
Key words here being "Public Service".

Explains a lot.

But to be fair and unbiased and politically half correct; the whole planet is becoming so sooky lala now, and noone can utter a syllable without invoking a subpoena from someones lawyer.

Last edited:
Back