GJ Gardner Homes:Any good or bad experiences?

I spoke to a consultant from GJ Gardner Homes today. They are a relatively new builder in my local area. Appararently they are a franchise business, however they operate all over Aus & NZ. Has anyone had any good or bad experiences with this company. I guess it will come down to local builder who operates the franchise, however I would be interested in any comments of parent company

Thanks in advance.
Andrew

I found them a bit expensive even back 3 years ago before the price hike. We didn't go with them in the end.

The good thing about them is that they are very flexible to changes and will build on your plans too. The bad thing about them was even after we signed the contract, they increased their prices and passed it onto us. Even a few thousand, we would have absorbed it but it was almost $20k. I don't know how they can compete with other project builders if they can't even do fixed contracts.

We ended forfeiting $2k deposit and going with someone else. It was still about $25k cheaper than if we had built with them.

Make sure they do fixed contracts.

these guys like all franchises have good and not so good . I have used one branch of them. Which office location are you checking out

In the midst of "it" @ the moment...stand by for the "mini series"!
Have a fabulous Construct Manager..THAT's THE DIFFERENCE!!
You can handle "some" glitches when it comes in 130k UNDER! Get excited........Just means you're closer to a solution!
FIXED PRICE +++
Enjoy the ride!

Was talking with a plumber in Brisbane this morning Andy about project builders. Don't know if you have the same ppl operating down there as here but may as well share this. His tidbits were:

- AV Jennings haven't reinforced underneath a lot of their shower recesses, so he has been called out to mutliple jobs when ppl break through them. Though they offer a 24 year warranty on their product, but are reluctant to honour it unless threatened via a solicitor. I spoke with AV Jennings last weekend and their costs come out at around $600m2, and they told me to use $480 for additions. A private builder I met a few weeks ago in my clinic told me he will do a standard single storey house for $650 a metre.

- Coral Homes have a good product.

- There's a plastic or polyethylene type water pipe (hot and cold) which is used a lot nowadays to save dollars, and is very prone to springing hairpin leaks. It's better to use copper but must be kept out of touch with mortar which can rub through it with expansion and contraction, and lime can eat into it.

- Most project builders like their variations, and $4 tiles.

just do it said:
these guys like all franchises have good and not so good . I have used one branch of them. Which office location are you checking out

Looking at Nowra branch, they cover the south coast. I believe there is also an office in Warilla(Shellharbour).

Andrew

Hi Andy,
Have you been up to Homeworld at Kellyville to have a look at all the display homes? There are dozens of companies there and they are open every day of the year.
Just a thought.....
JB

Waffle Slabs

A lot of builders use 'waffle' slabs these days which is when foam is used to reinforce the inside of a concrete slab instead of concrete....

Over time, the foam loses its shape and things like tiles start to crack...you're not even allowed to jack up your car in your garage if its on a waffle slab for fear of collapse...

Something to check out if you're getting your house built...that's why sometimes you have to take the '$ per metre' with a grain of salt...yes they can build it that cheap, but in the long run, it may cost you thousands of dollars in repairs....

I've also heard that some builders quote you their $ per metre, but fail to mention it does not include doors, light fittings, tiles etc.

A friend of mine, who is a carpenter, knew G Gardener's brother, I think they were apprentices together (or worked together early on). He said they were good tradeys.

He still knows the family and speaks very highly of them.

Not sure this helps, but still...

asy :D

Hi Andrew,

The guys I dealt with were on the Central Coast so would be different franchise.

The other question to ask is if they use the standard HIA Building contract. If they dont then dont use them

Back