Gladstone QLD - How is it Going????

Some Light on gladstone

Things like are they near shops, schools, pubs etc etc, and I'd like a newer house for depreciation + less maintenance, and something around 3/4 bedrooms, w/ 2 bathrooms and at least 1 car port. Things are being sold after being on the market for less than 24 hours!

Just purchased 2 properties in gladstone
1] vantage estate (under construction house- completion date mid september) cost - mid to low 500K rent - 705 pw leased from 1st October

2] land in emmadale around 200k ( getting quotes on builds from builders anywhere between 300K to 390K for a double storeyed turnkey). expected rent for a high spec house $800-$1200.

the Clinton Area might tick most of your requirements "Things like are they near shops, schools, pubs etc etc, and I'd like a newer house for depreciation + less maintenance, and something around 3/4 bedrooms, w/ 2 bathrooms and at least 1 car port."

Problem is there is not much left in the area. I had chosen 5 properties bought two and when i contacted the agents on behalf of a friend, two of the remaining 3 were gone within 18 hours of my last conversation with the selling agents.

Choice of areas would be

1] Clinton ( working people )
2] Emmadale/ Kirkwood (Executives)
3] Boyne Island (kind of a mixed bag)
4] Calliope ( never went there but from the words doing the rounds lot of people rent there as its cheaper than areas arround CBD

my two cents... if you can afford to hold during construction its worth building a new one as ready ones seemed a bit overpriced and rentals are rising by 5% each quarter.

but then the construction costs are overpriced as well and so is Land.

How long are houses staying on the market in Gladstone at the moment?

I have contacted a few agents in Gladstone explaining that I am up there the start of November for 4 days, im on the market to buy but the lack of response from agents seem like they dont care or are they just that busy at the moment and selling houses like there changing underwear?

Also found the same problem with Blackwater and Middlemount agents, not as bad but some agents just dont respond. Thought while im heading up that way i might as look at these towns as well.

How long are houses staying on the market in Gladstone at the moment?

I have contacted a few agents in Gladstone explaining that I am up there the start of November for 4 days, im on the market to buy but the lack of response from agents seem like they dont care or are they just that busy at the moment and selling houses like there changing underwear?

Also found the same problem with Blackwater and Middlemount agents, not as bad but some agents just dont respond. Thought while im heading up that way i might as look at these towns as well.

I think that's what they call a 'bull market'. Good luck getting an answer from any agent, by the sounds of things. They're too busy selling to listen to mere 'inquiries'. It's either time for some serious cheque-book diplomacy or an opt out (of jail free card). Hot zone rules apply!

I have contacted a few agents in Gladstone explaining that I am up there the start of November for 4 days

I'd say that comment might have been your undoing.

A lot changes in two and a half months, even moreso the Gladstone market in it's current state.

Rooster

We live 100km from Gladstone (near Agnes water) an estate agent friend of mine said it will take off here once everything starts up in Gladstone.
We own 2 props in qld and one in vic

My partner works in the csg industry, he will be constructing the gas pipeline from central qld to Gladstone, (he says they will be starting up early 2012) they are setting up a camp somewhere near the Gladstone airport for accommodation, but I wonder what their families will do during holidays,...Gladstone is an industrial city.

I know the locals in Gladdy are wild about their cost of living rising and many are already struggling, why stay? if it was me, i would move out and rent someplace else, but a lot choose to stay...

There is also a lot of greenies around, with their 'shut the gate' ranting inspired by the AMERICAN movie gasland,. they attempt to stop things and protest, gaffiti large bridges and buildings etc, but in my opinion,.. there are too many multi million dollar deals revolving around Gladstone, nothing can stop the gravy train ;-)

I used to work in real estate and I dont think its too late to invest in Gladstone, but you best be quick.,.
I love property and dont want anything in return, so if anyone is truly stuck and unable to get up here, im happy to independently inspect a few properties for them, take some pictures etc if needed, happy to help.

{I used to be registered on here years ago,. keep forgetting my login }

We just signed a contract to buy a west gladstone queenslander.
This will be our second one in this area.
We are quite comfortable about having two there. From an industry point of view the whole thing hasnt even started yet. We dont believe its too late either.

I used to work in real estate and I dont think its too late to invest in Gladstone, but you best be quick.,.
I love property and dont want anything in return, so if anyone is truly stuck and unable to get up here, im happy to independently inspect a few properties for them, take some pictures etc if needed, happy to help.

{I used to be registered on here years ago,. keep forgetting my login }

That's just one heck of a kind offer to my mind, Justme. I wish I had the readies myself, because I'd love to invest there, and you are offering help just for the joy in it. Thanks for being such a good sport, and I hope someone here will get in contact with you for a real local's recky. :)

Immediately upon going west out of the actual Calliope 'village' There are some tracts of land that are about to be developed. They are on the North and South side of the Dawson Highwya before the turn off to the Boyne Valley, in other words, less than 5ks west of Calliope GPO.

These blocks of land should number between 300-400 at least just in those three developments and they will be going ahead. There is I hear antongonism between the different groups because they are worried about in the short term being too many blocks near at once on the market.

How do I know, becauue a friend of mine is involved, but that is bye the bye just for interests sake. At the end of the day within the year there will be another few hundred blocks on the market out of Calliope.

Rent is oging up in Calliope. Friends of mine whils tthey waite to build their house in Calliope have to rent a house in the meantime. Standard 4 bedder type and they just got it at 550 a week.

Now as reagrds Agnes Water and 1770, they are still the dogs of the local area, still going backwards in price. For eg. you can buy a block of land in 1770 for less than 600 grand, now its been a long time since that was the case. YOu can buy beachfront with a 100 meter wgreen zone for the 400 grand mark.

One day Agnes will take off again , when that will be will be anybody's guess. The problme for aGnes is that it is basically 1 hour adn 15-20 mintues from Gladstone. So commuting is only for the battle hardened.

Hi

I'm interested in Gladstone as well and started making some inquiries. At the moment I'm considering either a H+L package in Glen Eden estate for $489,000 which has a rent appraisal of $650-720 or another group www.WealthWithProperty.net have $500,000 H+L packages in Little Creek Estate in West Gladstone. They tell me they can organise a $750 pw rental agreement with one of the LNG companies. Also they're using "P Constructions" as the builders. Has anyone had any dealings with any of these groups?

I'm thinking buy West Gladstone for the better location, right? The numbers stack up but I don't want to be another WA investor investing interstate and getting burnt so appreciate any feedback or advice you can give.

cheers
Stephen

Hi Stephen, I'd go the little creek area. Nice area, good access via Kirkwood road and some nice parkland areas.

I'd stay away from Glen eden especially if it is the Stoney brook area. Major drainage issues there as the estate is carved out of rock and no water can drain through the earth. The lawns around the houses are like wet sponges.

As far as rent is concerned, while the market is hot you can get great rents anywhere. It's after the boom where the differences will be seen.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Brianna (and Geoff) for your advice.

Have since found out the properties from www.WealthWithProperty.net are actually in Kirkwood but are being advertised as West Gladstone, as in "West of Gladstone" (grr).

The one in Glen Eden for $489,000 actually looks quite good on paper as www.WealthWithProperty.net have these starting at $565,000 and I got told it would be worth around $520,000 on completion. Don't suppose a sloping block will help with the drainage issues? Thanks for letting me know about this as otherwise there's no way of knowing.

And you make a good point - what happens after the boom? Have been tossing up what to do all day. Part of me says do it, don't miss out and then part of me says to buy somewhere more predictable. Am mainly looking for cashflow Hmmm....

thanks for your help
Stephen

Thanks Brianna (and Geoff) for your advice.

Have since found out the properties from www.WealthWithProperty.net are actually in Kirkwood but are being advertised as West Gladstone, as in "West of Gladstone" (grr).

The one in Glen Eden for $489,000 actually looks quite good on paper as www.WealthWithProperty.net have these starting at $565,000 and I got told it would be worth around $520,000 on completion. Don't suppose a sloping block will help with the drainage issues? Thanks for letting me know about this as otherwise there's no way of knowing.

And you make a good point - what happens after the boom? Have been tossing up what to do all day. Part of me says do it, don't miss out and then part of me says to buy somewhere more predictable. Am mainly looking for cashflow Hmmm....

thanks for your help
Stephen

Be careful where you buy in Glen Eden. Out of town investors are being sold cheap 4 bedroom houses, all being the exactly the same design and facade, and all in one line next to each other.

The far end of Glen Eden Chase is a disgrace. House and Land packages being sold with corporate leases in place. Positively geared at first but with no knowledge about the build quality of what they are getting.

Tonywwp used to post here. He is the man behind Wealthwithproperty. You would do well to read the style and replies to his posts. Spruiker is one word that comes to mind.

Why does everyone need to buy a brand new house?

Rooster

I live int he area, before you go investing in the area, do an awful lot of due diligence. As it is one of the few areas in Australia with Growth at th emoment a lot of the big property spruiking vendors are operating with the usual over inflated prices etc. One of my friends is in real estate in Gladstone and she tells me that local smaller builders are leaving the industry becasue they can't get a reliable source of land to do their building, meaning the bigger players and spruikers are smashing the area.

There is for example a lot of land in Calliope measured in the 500 - 1000 going to come on the market in the next year or two, let alone what ever they do in Gladstone and Tannum. Spoke to a young fella who is in a trade the other day and he and his girlfriend are going to spend 700 odd thousand on house and land, anyway that is the sort of thing going on. When the going is good people tak eth erisk of spending bigger in the hope that the return will be bigger when they sell.

Some people should consider the likes of Rockhampton as it is aobut 100ks from many of these new infrastructure projects and I can imagine that we will see a lot of buses in the not to distant future runing betweenRocky and Gladstone with workers.

I live int he area, before you go investing in the area, do an awful lot of due diligence. As it is one of the few areas in Australia with Growth at th emoment a lot of the big property spruiking vendors are operating with the usual over inflated prices etc. One of my friends is in real estate in Gladstone and she tells me that local smaller builders are leaving the industry becasue they can't get a reliable source of land to do their building, meaning the bigger players and spruikers are smashing the area.

There is for example a lot of land in Calliope measured in the 500 - 1000 going to come on the market in the next year or two, let alone what ever they do in Gladstone and Tannum. Spoke to a young fella who is in a trade the other day and he and his girlfriend are going to spend 700 odd thousand on house and land, anyway that is the sort of thing going on. When the going is good people tak eth erisk of spending bigger in the hope that the return will be bigger when they sell.

Some people should consider the likes of Rockhampton as it is aobut 100ks from many of these new infrastructure projects and I can imagine that we will see a lot of buses in the not to distant future runing betweenRocky and Gladstone with workers.

For 700k would be better off with something like this

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-qld-gladstone-106959332 :cool:

hi all
I to am looking at gladstone ,middlemount(you will not find much) as for building 3 bed and 2 bath should be alot less then 250k at the moment if you do a deal with a group builder
I would like to hear about rentals ont he group at the moment and keep an eye on the upward swingthere are a couple of other not spots in that area and the house and land packages can work out cheap as long as you are buying in a group
if you are buy retail its a very different thing
not sure about spruikers its supply and demand eco 101 as they say
at the moment there is demand and that does not look like stopping for about 20 years
so it grab it while you can
as for price its the old get it for as cheap as you can and a lease or high rental area

Yes I'd concur with a lot of the sentiment in this thread. It sure is "all go" in Gladstone at the moment.

Each time I visit I hear stories similar to those here with rents increasing by leaps and bounds and developers snapping up properties (cbd) for multi unit developments.

About the only place in CQ going ahead at the moment is Gladstone. Banks still tight with commercial lending but those few that are developing are building units in Gladstone !

Good luck all.

Back