Gladstone QLD - How is it Going????

Does anyone up there know if there is new housing about to go on the market? I've heard something but no details.
One minute your bagging the local opinion then next breath you ask for their opinion. :confused:
We can pretend everything is rosey or you can heard what it looks like to locals... If things where picking up I'm sure locals would say so..

Just because its not the news you wanted to hear doesn't mean it's wrong.

Last edited:
One minute your bagging the local opinion then next breath you ask for their opinion. :confused:
We can pretend everything is rosey or you can heard what it looks like to locals... If things where picking up I'm sure locals would say so..

Just because its not the news you wanted to hear doesn't mean it's wrong.

O sorry. I was bagging the comments section of the paper. Last time I read any comments in the paper was a couple of years ago. There were a string of comments basically telling non-local people (like me) to go away and stop destroying their town. I don't know what I have ever done to destroy their town.

I was asking a local, such as yourself, for a sensible response to what I thought was a reasonable question. After being burned, I don't think I'd believe anything that comes from the council, the CQ university and the newspaper.

Last I heard the steel plant was done and dusted, along with the investors money!
I doubt it would be feasible to build a steel plant from scratch in Aus and produce steel anywhere near competitive to China and overseas.

There is a development underway (earth works stage) for 100+ town houses! Might be buy one get one free!

Google Maps recent street view update (January 2015) might provide a bit of a clue to all the empty lots still around in the newer parts on the southern fringe of Gladstone.

Interestingly, the 'Matusik Property Pick' email I just received is now spruking Gladstone developments...

OASIS ESTATE - Gladstone, 7km from CBD. Brand new, turn-key homes - house & land packages priced from $348,000. Special offer for Matusik readers - stamp duty paid on land contract - first 5 buyers - must go unconditional by end of April 2015. Our reading of the market is that the Gladstone property market is improving. Employment across the wider region is increasing. And there is a demand to build more affordable homes.

I'm not sure what to make of it, it's obvious he makes kickbacks on the sale of new developments, but I've always thought Matusik was pretty solid.

Does Gladstone really have good prospects or has he sold out?

I don't know why anyone would build there when there is a huge selection of heavily discounted builds less than 1-2 years old. $400k will get you something really nice and something that cost $530k just two years ago.

Interestingly, the 'Matusik Property Pick' email I just received is now spruking Gladstone developments...

I'm not sure what to make of it, it's obvious he makes kickbacks on the sale of new developments, but I've always thought Matusik was pretty solid.

Here is the bit from the bottom of that exact Matusik email (This is written directly below the email for more info button):

Note: Matusik Property Insights receives a referral fee upon the sale of these projects.

Does Gladstone really have good prospects or has he sold out?
Gladstone may have good prospects - especially now that it's at rock bottom with doom and gloom, and it has just been announced that Shell is buying BG Group which may signal an expansion of the QCLNG plant using Arrow's gas. There is, in my opinion, some very good value in established houses. However, I would stay away from those new estates especially the ones like the mentioned 'Oasis' in horrible locations with 300 sqm blocks that need to pay referral fees to spruikers.

It's heading in the right direction but we are still far from being out of the woods.
1300 properties on the maket for a population of around 60,000 is still a lot of properties.
And we haven't seen the full efect of the Curtis island wined down yet.

Bring back 2009 levels!! ;)

Agreed.

Happy it's found a floor and hopefully a 5% clawback in prices this year.

Isn't hindsight wonderful?

With interest rates dropping to historical lows, housing prices booming, buying a property in Gladstone in 2011 was just about the worse place in Australia you could of bought.

With a 20% recovery needed just to break even, I think we are looking at having to hold for another 4 years. That's an 8 year investment to return zero.

Compare that with a capital city purchase! Thanks financial advisor guy! Maybe we will see 10% growth from this point maybe not, but I sure hate feeling like a jive turkey!

Wether or not you bought for the short term or long, buying in 2011/2012 was a baaaaad idea.

Apologies for the rant. I wonder what SAMOZ ender up doing?

Cheers all.

Gladstone is a boom and bust town alright! some people make a lot of money and others leave with their tail between their legs! Living there for a while was an eye opener. We stopped through in 09 and heard the hype without taking to much notice, we were kicking ourselves we didn't buy! But going back last year we're glad we didn't, the buy and hold gets you back where you started! The thing to do is to get a job on the island and take home 3000+ and there but importantly buy elsewhere!

Last edited:
With a 20% recovery needed just to break even, I think we are looking at having to hold for another 4 years. That's an 8 year investment to return zero.

My situation is about the same, if that were to come to fruition would be stoked to just get my money back. Sad really, sillly first ever investment, should have stuck to the capitals to start with at least but you live and you learn.

or will it be shelved with the Shale oil refinery and the boulder steel??

I think the greenies stopped the shale oil and high labour costs stopped boulder steel

Finally some good news! I hope the reef will be OK...

1000 construction jobs (4 years worth) then 300 permanent operational.

Vacancies back up again this month to 5.3%.

Back