Gladstone QLD - How is it Going????

We will be up there next week to see how our little house is after the storm damage is repaired.
I hope there was not too much damage. Much of Gladstone was fine during the floods, but I the surrounding townships were hit hard. Also the roads were made worse than the goat tracks they already are.

We are high up so no flood problem. With all the rain, a gutter overflowed and we got water inside the ceiling. We want to improve the drainage so will have additional work to oversee. The PM says it's not as bad as I had first imagined. I imagined the worst as you do. The main thing is that we want to see it for ourselves. Our other houses are within easy driving distance but it is really hard to "let go" and trust someone else.

I asked my PM about purchasing the furniture from our previous corporate leasee when they vacated last month but she suggested the majority of tenants there want unfurnished. We got a young family delighted to relocate in from Agnes Waters.

Can anyone please suggest what roads to take to get from North Brisbane to Gladstone. Would it be better to go inland to bypass the roadworks on the main Highway? We will be towing a large trailer with a smallish car.

Can anyone please suggest what roads to take to get from North Brisbane to Gladstone. Would it be better to go inland to bypass the roadworks on the main Highway? We will be towing a large trailer with a smallish car.

Bruce Highway is still the quickest route into Gladstone from the south. I think the inland route is still being repaired at numerous locations. The turn off from Benaraby into Gladstone (Port Curtis Way) is usually quicker than the Calliope turnoff (Dawson Highway).

Apologies in advance if this seems off-topic, but I have noted a prevalence of double level houses in Gladstone with what seems to be a dual income potential, ex. there would be 3 rooms in the upper level, and a self contained unit in the lower level. I'm just wondering if anyone knows whether these can be legally rented out as separate units or are there existing restrictions? thanks in advance.

I live 95ks from Gladstone and are their regularly like at least once a week. I have many friends who are Chief financial officers for corprorations, General Managers and blah blah blah, operating in Gladstone.

The gas related industries is what is keeping Gladstone afloat, other mining relating industries are on a downer and not just a tinsy one. Many many companies are downsizing etc.

Yes we know their is a lot more development that is going to happen in Gladstone but a lot of the workers will be living in workers camps etc.

Are their oportunites, well apparently so but and its a big but, the real big growth has allready happened. Yes their is more, however in some areas prices are down 10-20% Yes I have friends who are in the real estate game in Gladstone.

There are ooddles of estates available and lots more lining up. To give you an example. There is a small development estate trying to develop a couple of klms west of Calliope on the Dawson highway. Blocks start from about 250k. Nothing is happening because no one is buying them and they have been on the market for many many months.

Unless your an almighty big huge estate developer the banks are running scared and are requiring smaller developers to have numerous sales etc signed up before they will finance the development and in some places the sales are simply not happening.

As they say in the game, you play your cards and make your decisons and see what happens.

You have probobly all heard that Gladstone's current vancancy rate is at 5.6 % observer story any predictions of what's going to happen in the future?

Overall, I think in the near term it will eventually start to stabilise. The job layoffs at industries like QAL, Yarwun and BSL and the flow on effects look like they are or have come to an end for now. I don't think apartments will pick up any time soon, there's still a lot in the pipeline judging by the number of cranes on the city skyline.

"The SWQ figures show Gladstone has a 5.6% rental vacancy rate, compared to other mining regions such as Port Hedland (WA) 4.6%, Karratha (WA) 3.7% and Roma (QLD) 2.6%."

wow,, I live in hedland and if the vacancy rate is 4.6% then I'd hate to see what 1.9% (national avg) looks like.
Excuse my ignorance, but does any know exactly how they work these percentages out? Because there is no way in hell hedland has an oversupply of housing!

"The SWQ figures show Gladstone has a 5.6% rental vacancy rate, compared to other mining regions such as Port Hedland (WA) 4.6%, Karratha (WA) 3.7% and Roma (QLD) 2.6%."

wow,, I live in hedland and if the vacancy rate is 4.6% then I'd hate to see what 1.9% (national avg) looks like.
Excuse my ignorance, but does any know exactly how they work these percentages out? Because there is no way in hell hedland has an oversupply of housing!

Lots of rentals on the market ATM.

About 128 with about 2600 places in the rental market, I make it closer to 4.9%.

That is very high for a place the size of Hedland (South or Port).

What makes you think there's an under-supply?

I live there, and I know lots of people share houses just to get somewhere to stay. People pay 400-500 a week just for a room. I work with someone who shares a 3 bedroom house with 6 people.
My workshop base their recruitment on what houses are available, not the actual need for labour.

Having said that,, I see 188 properties (both south and port) for rent on RE.com which is high for hedland. But where did you get the "2600 places in the market" from?

I'd say with no "big" new expansion projects happening + price of red dirt seemingly peaked and dropping, plus some new housing stock on the market, the rents have peaked,, 1 bedroom units were $1000 a week, and are still at about 750-900 (asking)
Seen as this topic is actually about Gladstone, I won't go on about it, I just find it interesting to read those figures, when living there I see a different picture.
I guess people would rather pay 400 a week for a room, than 1200+ for their own house though. I guess it's a case of a shortage of "affordable" houses for people to live in then. But I'd say if landlords made their rent a bit more realistic then they would have no worries getting tenants.
Not sure if the same could be said about gladstone? As I don't live there, I do have an IP there though. At the lower end of the market and have long term tenants.. hope that doesn't change.

In our case at Gladstone the corporate tenants left end of March and we had to drop our rent $150 a week to get tenants.

We found it took 7.5 hours to travel up the Bruce highway and 8 hours to come home via Biloela and Gayndah. The return trip was very pleasant, no traffic at all and no road active works, just signs warning of narrow sections of bitumen. There was no way anyone could get booked for speeding on the main highway, the road was blocked by caravans doing 80 klms per hour most of the way.

I still laugh when I read publications or articles that refer to Gladstone as a "mining town". Even a recent book for "Four Year Old Property Investors" calls it one. Last time I checked, there weren't any mines within a few hundred kilometres of Gladstone! The Surat, Callide and Bowen Basins are well inland, and the bauxite comes all the way from Weipa. We don't dig up coal, bauxite or CSG here! Gladstone is where it gets transported to, processed and exported. Anyone who refers to it as one has no idea what they are talking about.

Even with that said, I'm not an advocate of currently investing in Gladstone as per my previous posts stretching months back.

Having said that,, I see 188 properties (both south and port) for rent on RE.com which is high for hedland. But where did you get the "2600 places in the market" from?

Just from research and references here and there. To be precise, there is 2,600 residences in SH available for rent. Of those 128 are vacant or advertised for rent, or close to 5% vacancy.

"Just from research and references here and there. To be precise, there is 2,600 residences in SH available for rent. Of those 128 are vacant or advertised for rent, or close to 5% vacancy."

You care to elaborate?

I didn't know the rentals were so high.

I just renewed mine a few weeks ago from 425 to 440 for an average 3 bedder in west gladstone just behind the hospital.

maybe i got lucky....

I didn't know the rentals were so high.

I just renewed mine a few weeks ago from 425 to 440 for an average 3 bedder in west gladstone just behind the hospital.

maybe i got lucky....

West Gladstone doesn't have the oversupply issues that some of the peripheral and emerging suburbs have with new estates or that Gladstone City has with apartments. It's a landlocked suburb that's more established and with easy access to far more amenities and jobs than the newer areas.

No new land releases in West Gladstone, the only way to get more dwellings in West Gladstone is to subdivide - that process is evident in the numerous townhouse developments planned or being built in one of the few areas in Gladstone where high-density housing is allowed.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Everyone,

Sorry I don't mean to hijack this post but just wanted help/

I have a quote to replace the front door frame for my IP in Gladstone QLD, as it has deteriated. I have been told that the frame is a supporting frame to the house. I look at the photo from my PM and only saw the deteriation from the frame, not the beam across and above the frame. I have been told by carpenter (through my PM) that it would take two days for the job at a cost of $2K. My jaw nearly dropped to the ground. :eek: Just wondering if this is too expensive and would take two days to do it. The frame has a glass section to one side and the door is next to the glass.

Any one knows a handy man or carpenter who you can recommend?

Thanks

Back