Gladstone QLD - How is it Going????

should I increase rent?

Greetings!

I'm after some advice from those doing this gig for much longer than I have been!

In 2 months time the 6 month lease is up on my furnished house 4/2/2 in Vantage Estate (sad to here that it is not regarded as a great estate!)

I'm currently getting $940 a month which suites me well, but am wondering if the general opinion is to hit the tenants with an increase...

Obviously I don't want to lose my tenants, and my opinion is to keep the rent the same to protect the income...

Thoughts? Is it time to risk the tenancy with a 'negligible' rent increase? Bear in mind the property is positively geared at this current rental rate!

Cheers,
James

In the current market, I think that is a good rent, I wouldn't rock the boat. Re-evaluate in 6 months.

Greetings!

I'm after some advice from those doing this gig for much longer than I have been!

In 2 months time the 6 month lease is up on my furnished house 4/2/2 in Vantage Estate (sad to here that it is not regarded as a great estate!)

I'm currently getting $940 a month which suites me well, but am wondering if the general opinion is to hit the tenants with an increase...

Obviously I don't want to lose my tenants, and my opinion is to keep the rent the same to protect the income...

Thoughts? Is it time to risk the tenancy with a 'negligible' rent increase? Bear in mind the property is positively geared at this current rental rate!

Cheers,
James

gladstone

My first post in this brilliant forum. I know this thread has predominantly related to investing in residential properties, but I am thinking along the lines of commercial properties ie, warehouse space, shopfronts, industrial estates.
I would greatly appreciate a push in the right direction.
Thanks Shane

Hi James

Any reason why Vantage is not a preffered estate ! what about Little Creek and Emerald ?

I have IP in Vantage and suffering...

Hi Sam, The opinion about Vantage was posted a few days ago in response to your post ;-) I always thought Vantage was ok, or rather, I had not heard anything negative about it - till now.

I was having a hard time leasing my place, but when I decided to furnish, it was leased in a couple of days...

Cheers,
James

Speaking to our PM today about upcoming lease renewal on our IP in Gladstone.

They're recommending a rent increase, as they are seeing demand for rentals starting to increase again in the past couple of weeks, and rents are consequently tightening.

They expect this to increase in the New Year once more workers come back and more are taken on.

Doing our due diligence and looking at RE.com.au, for 3+ bed house in 4680 there are 161 available; only 26 are less than $500pw and another 37 under $600 pw, for 4+ bed places there are 18 below $600 pw rest are higher, most above $700

It will be interesting to see how it plays out this time. Not saying history repeats itself, but re-reading the posts on this thread from Oct 11 to Feb 12 the market appeared to do a slow down and then significant increase.
Its all cycles I s'pose..

Great thread - makes for a very interesting read!
We have a 2x2 unit coming on board very soon in the Gladstone CBD so I'm interested in hearing of anyone's thoughts on the following.

1. A good PM - any recommendations? I rang a couple while doing the DD at the start of the year, but would like to hear of other's experiences good or bad....

and

2. Furnished/Unfurnished? again talking to REAs and PMs at the start of the year furnishing was THE option, is this still so? I'll be on the phone shortly doing some more research on expected yields now etc.. but again, interested to hear other's thoughts on this.

cheers

Great thread - makes for a very interesting read!
We have a 2x2 unit coming on board very soon in the Gladstone CBD so I'm interested in hearing of anyone's thoughts on the following.

1. A good PM - any recommendations? I rang a couple while doing the DD at the start of the year, but would like to hear of other's experiences good or bad....

and

2. Furnished/Unfurnished? again talking to REAs and PMs at the start of the year furnishing was THE option, is this still so? I'll be on the phone shortly doing some more research on expected yields now etc.. but again, interested to hear other's thoughts on this.

cheers

We've had Century 21 as our PM, they've been very professional

Back