Gladstone

i bought a few in gladdy in 2006, had massive growth initially and then slight slow decline since. Still 40-70% above purchase price now.

I have noticed these town don't tend to move until the first wave of workers arrive and suddenly it is all real and it goes off. The prediction locally is for July, I have been signing 6 month rental agreements in the hope of increasing later in the year (one i signed for 12 months as Rio Tinto tenant)

I have a couple of houses rented by Rio Tinto that have been empty over 12 months but they keep paying:) and just renewed one of them by 12 months which is a good sign.

I have a few eggs in the basket so will not buy more but worth considering for a small play if you don't have anything in the town.

The second wave of growth in these hotspot areas ( after initial boom and small reduction) is awesome and has massive impact on equity situation. Bring it on!

Something to consider for those who think Gladdy is ugly ( not that bad in my opinion especially compared to say Whyalla) is Tannam Sands which has a much nicer beach, good shopping center ( without refinery views)! and nicer feel and is only 20 minutes away, i don't own any there but would live there if i had to work in Gladdy.

As for the new estates I wouldn't touch em with a barge pole, my MO is to buy older houses closer to town.

Another bit of info is that in last boom the cheapest units had the highest growth, have family and friends who bought units under $125k that doubled in 12 moths compared to houses maybe 50-75% growth, often seems buyers and renters " aim at the bottom" of these markets as afford ability gets out of hand so they often have the highest growth.

Just my observations, don't rely on me!

Finally as a warning Gladdy has the highest number of cowboy selling and rental agents per capita than any city in Australia in my experience!

Cheers

Bigtone

Rooster was the "green" agent wearing a cowboy hat!

No cowboy hat. To green and naive to even understand how to operate like that!

For some reason Gladstone seems to have a massive turnover of PM's. In 10 years investing there i've had 8 different ones.

I hope i'm not burning them out!

I agree with not touching the new estates. They are so much further out from the centre of town and unless your goal was a speculative build/flick then your yield would be around 4%.

Cheers

Rooster

Last edited:
Thanks for the info rooster.
Are you a local to gladstone?
Do you know anything about stoneybrook?
Any opinions on calliope vs these other estates?

Thanks

Thanks for the info rooster.
Are you a local to gladstone?
Do you know anything about stoneybrook?
Any opinions on calliope vs these other estates?

Thanks

No problems.

I grew up in Gladstone and have family there but i'm not based there anymore.

The majority of my properties are in Gladstone, so i'm regularly there for one reason or another.

Stoneybrook is another new release. From memory it has released stage 1, but so far but there is not a great deal of houses being built there.

Be careful around that area and the estate next door which is Billabong estate. there is a builder in town slapping up very basic 4x2's and selling to out of town investors.

You will see the houses instantly on driving passed, but they tend to drag the quality of the suburb down a bit.

Calliope is a bit of a different ball game altogether. It exploded a couple of years back and at one stage was matching Gladstone for house prices.

It's about a 20 min drive from Gladstone away from the coast. They have had at least 4 different new subdivisions developed in the past few years and some of the stock from these has sat idle for a long time when the slow down hit.

You could still get a block in Calliope for $140k a few months back, but even those have started to rise in price.

IMHO, as Bigtone has suggested as well, you would be better off sourcing something closer to town centre if you were looking for a straight buy/hold.

Hope this helps

Rooster

hey rooster, bigtone and others...

anyone have ips in boyne/tannum?

I have 1 there, still tenanted but like others I noticed the glut recently. Just had it bank valued for a refinance and wondering what your opinions of values are running at there. Its a 4x1 brick lowset mid 80's construction partially rennoed.

hey rooster, bigtone and others...

anyone have ips in boyne/tannum?

I have 1 there, still tenanted but like others I noticed the glut recently. Just had it bank valued for a refinance and wondering what your opinions of values are running at there. Its a 4x1 brick lowset mid 80's construction partially rennoed.

Had all my houses valued there this past week and after 2 years they have moved $5k up!!

Not completely happy with that but at the same time i'm not surprised.

My parents live out Boyne way. If you were going to live near Gladstone (rent) that is where i would be heading and that would be where i would anticipate the most growth in the future.

The glut is obvious, but as has happened in the past, that glut will evaporate quickly as soon as the construction workforce is mobilised.

Whether a workers camp materialises or not, there will be a shortage of accomodation.

Hope this helps

Rooster

Had all my houses valued there this past week and after 2 years they have moved $5k up!!

Not completely happy with that but at the same time i'm not surprised.

My parents live out Boyne way. If you were going to live near Gladstone (rent) that is where i would be heading and that would be where i would anticipate the most growth in the future.

The glut is obvious, but as has happened in the past, that glut will evaporate quickly as soon as the construction workforce is mobilised.

Whether a workers camp materialises or not, there will be a shortage of accomodation.

Hope this helps

Rooster

Yeah, it is helpful, nice to hear someone else with not so great bank vals, even though the advertising prices are now going up for similar stock imo. I had my place valed 2 yrs ago at 400k, then a few weeks ago at 350k :eek: I think its just super conservative bank vals atm coz they don't want to lend unless a deal is rock solid. There are no equvalent houses asking that price so I don't see the figure as very realistic.

Looking forward to watching the supply dry up, then the prices start to move.

I am heavily invested in Gladstone, born and lived there for 20 years though since moved on. Believe me the place is starting to move, I experienced the last construction boom a few years back and the place went crazy with purchase price's and rent doubling over night. Time to get in now folks as it's just starting to rise !!! Bring on the LNG plant's.

Thanks rooster and big tone. I've decided to buy/build a new 4 bed house in emmadale gardens. Hopefully prices and rents move up significantly in the 6 months it'll take to complete. Soon i'll be lookin for a good property manager. Any recommendations,? Wats a standard fee up that way? Cheers.

Thanks rooster and big tone. I've decided to buy/build a new 4 bed house in emmadale gardens. Hopefully prices and rents move up significantly in the 6 months it'll take to complete. Soon i'll be lookin for a good property manager. Any recommendations,? Wats a standard fee up that way? Cheers.

Congrats Foxy,

I have had great trouble with PM's in Gladdy, the first one ran off with a few months rent on a few properties! I talked my parents into buying a couple in Gladdy in 2006 and we have just got home from having dinner at their place and coincidently she mentioned her new PM Angela O'Conner at Raine and Horne is the best agent she has ever had.

I am with another agency myself at they are not much chop.
Cheers

Gday all

Firstly i just want to say this info is gold its been really good reading all your comments... Ive got a question for the people who have bought in Gladstone... How Did you go about organizing your mining leases on your IPs? What are the guarantees the mining company's give you on the leases? How long are the leases? Are the mining company's actively looking to lease property in the area? Is the government releasing lots of land in the area that may effect growth?

Would appreciate any comments

Cheers

Burgs

Gday all

Firstly i just want to say this info is gold its been really good reading all your comments... Ive got a question for the people who have bought in Gladstone... How Did you go about organizing your mining leases on your IPs? What are the guarantees the mining company's give you on the leases? How long are the leases? Are the mining company's actively looking to lease property in the area? Is the government releasing lots of land in the area that may effect growth?

Would appreciate any comments

Cheers

Burgs

Hi Burgs,

My leases with RIO Tinto are through the property manager. Basically Rio Tinto have a team whose job it is to secure accommodation for the workers. They contact the local agents and just take the stock they like. Typically they like newer stuff. My inital leases were 24 months I think but are now 12 months. In 2009 Rio Tinto didn't renew leases on 300 properties and that killed the rental market. They told me they kept mine because they were close to town and work and not in the new estates so even though they have been empty they wanted to keep the option on them.

Of course when they load up again that will take out all current stock and rents will go up again, risk of course if they ditch yours at the time when they unload everyone else's so u take a big hit on rent at that time. I have no special guarantees, just normal tenants. I have not heard about any company taking new rentals yet but i could be wrong as mine are full so I am not in market at the moment.

While new estates are going up they can never build quick enough to cover the population if it comes like expected and they are not building any more land 1-3kms from CBD so if you buy there scarcity factor does exist.

Good luck

BT

how do you go to gladstone?

I am planning to go to visit Gladstone but do not know what the best transport mean to go there. How do you go to Gladstone?

I am planning to go to visit Gladstone but do not know what the best transport mean to go there. How do you go to Gladstone?

Depends where you're starting from!! :D And how much time you have!

But if you're in Melbourne, as your location shows, then you're probably looking to fly. I'm fairly certain the only commercial carrier is Qantas, who fly there several times a day from Brisbane.

Cheers Bigtone

Gladstone is defiantly a place i want to look at more closely as there seems to be a lot of resource expansion going on there... Ive worked in Port Hedland and seen first hand what a dump it is and yet a run down 3x1 will rent out for $1500pw+...

Thanks again for the info much appreciated

Burgs

Yep,

melb to bris

bris to gladstone

I believe you should definitely go there if you want to buy there.

I don't mind Tannum Sands or Boyne Inland either and Rockhampton has dropped alot off the peak and could be good buying as well. Personally I wouldn't buy in Calliope.

Good luck

Back