Glenn Stevens on the Conduct of Monetary Policy

"Structural Change and the Conduct of Monetary Policy"
http://www.rba.gov.au/Speeches/sp_dg_300803.html

Here are the parts of Glenn Stevens' speech that I found most interesting
(slightly summarised / paraphrased)

With respect to Monetary Policy, changes in the financial structure of the economy is probably the most difficult for the RBA to deal with.

One of the most striking areas of financial change in recent times has been the increased opportunity for households to adjust their financial positions

- Access to credit has expanded

- Decline in inflation has produced lower interest rates

- Lenders find households less risky borrowers than companies

- Financial innovation also means there is much greater opportunity to collateralise assets

- With the big run up in house prices which has occurred, there is a very large pool of potential collateral which has not been tapped yet

- The ratio of debt to assets has not increased as fast as the ratio of debt to income

We are yet to see the full ramifications of this structural change in household behaviour and balance sheets.

Leverage may yet increase a good deal further, since the as-yet-untapped equity in the housing stock is still very large, and the capacity to access it is growing

It was inevitable that there would be a period of strong growth in lending to households from the mid 1990s until about 2001, but over the past year or two, we have become less confident that a sensible one-time balance sheet adjustment should still be continuing

Dealing with this is still a work in progress, but a few observations come to mind:

It is not very helpful to discuss whether monetary policy should try to prick 'bubbles'. This tends to side-track discussion on to questions like whether we can confidently identify 'bubbles', and whether or not aggressive policy action is appropriate.

Response by monetary policy is bound to be relatively moderate, because the uncertainty about the effect on asset prices is considerable.

The really big "asset price events" and the balance sheet changes which accompany them can be once-in-a-generation developments.

If it was decided that monetary policy should be more responsive to asset price events, such an approach would have to be motivated by a broader and rather more long-term notion of financial and monetary stability than is in common use today.

If we do need to move in the direction of giving asset price and debt developments more weight in the conduct of monetary policy than hitherto, we need to educate our respective communities about these issues.

Originally posted by mmerlin
"Here are the parts of Glenn Stevens' speech that I found most interesting
(slightly summarised / paraphrased)

If it was decided that monetary policy should be more responsive to asset price events, such an approach would have to be motivated by a broader and rather more long-term notion of financial and monetary stability than is in common use today.

If we do need to move in the direction of giving asset price and debt developments more weight in the conduct of monetary policy than hitherto, we need to educate our respective communities about these issues.

MMerlin

The RBA is a very academic institution and so much of what they produce (seach as their "Research Discussion Papers") does not instantly appeal to me.

For the most part their arguments/perspectives can be distilled into very succinct thoughts and you appear to have done that very well.

For me, those two quotes (above) really are the guts of what Stevens' has said.

MP is, of course, still targeted at keeping inflation within the 2-3% band over the business cycle.

However, it has been reported (and I believe it to be true) that what we are are seeing is the start of what Stevens' has referred to above - an additional responsibility for this most brutal and blunt of policy instruments - that of managing asset price bubbles.

(and I use that last term loosely)

Consequently, the manner in which the RBA manages the economy within that 2-3% band has probably changed for the foreseeable future.

Stevens' has also reiterated the findings of some recent research done by the bank:

http://www.rba.gov.au/PublicationsAndResearch/RDP/RDP2003-09.html

MB

Back