Gold Coast Violence...what is going on?

Just needed to vent.

I'm at the airport about to fly back to melbourne.

I regularly come up to the gc, stay at nice hotels and go out for fun. Also, I have a waterfront investment property up here where I was planning to move up to.

My last four or five trips I have seen at least on act of violence in Surfers every trip.

Last trip there was a guy on the side of the gold coast hwy covered in blood on his own with people helping him. On Sat night, a guy was on the footpath unconcious, we tried to wake him up, then i called an ambulance...after thirty mins, no ambulance. So i went to try to wave a cop car down on the hwy. My friend Sonya was in the car watching these new zealand guys who had come over. While i was on the hwy my friend saw the NZ guy stand on the unconcious guys neck while his mates stood there laughing!.

Also, my friends ex was a SGT at Surfers and he and another cop were beaten senselese about 2 years ago.

Is this becoming normal or am I just in the wrong place at the wrong time?

Surfers would be the last place on the gold coast I would want to visit/stay at...... I wouldn't tar the whole city by what happens in one suburb!

Unsure if it is only the Gold Coast becoming increasing violent.

That could well be the one of the reasons why we have had a lot more people quitting the Gold Coast for the Sunshine Coast just recently.

Sunshine Coast has its fair share of "after drinking" violence as well though.

Sunshine

Gold Coast has always been a place to go to release your inhibitions. It originally had no sense of community as it was a place for holiday makers to escape to and avoid the repercussions for bad behaviour they'd get at home. As a Brissy boy, I always preferred the Sunshine Coast. The GC was always about hype and booze and seeking thrills, and there was always more fighting and localism. The Sunny Coast didn't have that in the 60s and 70s as much, but it is getting worse there too.

Unfortunately, a lot of young peoples' general poor upbringing, existential angst (about not being able to afford a house :rolleyes:), binge drinking, poor impulse control, and general lack of
giving a toss about anyone but no.1....... and it's all gone downhill in most western countries.

I attribute it to progressives encouraging the throwing out of traditional JudeoChristian values that saw our forefathers prosper. Sure there was a lot wrong with them, but what have they been replaced with? lack of meaning, angst, depression, chaos, no thought for tomorrow, a break down in sense of community, many young men being brought up without a full time male disciplinarian.

Truly, I have seen things slide downhill a lot in the last 45 years. And I think it is going to get a lot worse over the next 20 years. But I am optimistic the pendulum will swing back.

It's sad how the Gold Coast has devolved. It used to be great.

But when you go down the main street, and every second shop is a sunglass shop, a "believe it or not", or a printed t-shirt shop, or a jewelery shop with interpreters out front, who look at us locals like we have 2 heads, or pubs/restaurants with sprukers out front, or strip clubs upstairs, or someone grabbing you every 50 yards to flog you either time-share or some over-priced property:

It's time to change holiday venues to somewhere of quality.

i dont' think it's just he gold coast. inner newcastle is struggling with a major violence problem atm.

pubs and clubs have now had their hours reduced, and curfew extended (close at 3am, not letting new people in after 1am etc), and the demand for greater responsibility for pubs/clubs for responsible alcohol service ... but ... the problem isn't really the people at the clubs and pubs but instead it's the gangs of yobs that drink for hours at home on the cheap, then come into town looking for (and finding) nothing more than someone to beat up.

we've recently had a top surgeon, an international ballet dancer and top footy coach all hospitalised in coma's because of these idiots.

what does one do about that problem? asides from stay home ...

i tell you what they should do.... start sterilizing people as part of the sentencing of repeat offenders. Something like the "three strikes" rule for violent crimes, but sterilize them AND send them to jail.

... its kinda of like investing in the future gene pool of human society :D

LOL!!

i
we've recently had a top surgeon, an international ballet dancer and top footy coach all hospitalised in coma's because of these idiots.

what does one do about that problem? asides from stay home ...

that's terrible.........but it is worse that we outsource our security and protection to the govt and they let us down...........and deny it

That's why locals don't go into Surfers. It's not the locals causing the problem, it's all the tourists having 'fun'.

There are plenty of nice, quite, friendly places you can go on the Gold Coast where you don't have to put up with these idiots.

Cheers,

Bazza

Like Currumbin!

But keep away from Palm Beach at nights as all the local 14 year old 'little darlings' run riot. I put this sort of behaviour down to the lack of discipline in schools and at home. A good wallop never hurt anyone!

Cheers,

Bazza

Glad to see i'm not the only one noticing it.

I also forgot, I have a young 19y.o. working for me that went there two weeks ago for a holiday. He walked into a pub/bar and a bunch of moari's started staring at him. One walked up to him and said " you aren't from around here, we suggest you leave now".!. Unbelievable.

My friends brother on the gc then went on to tell me about the bikies up their are causing chaos. Apparently three of them two weeks ago walked out of a club and bashed ten innocent people...then got off as they couldn't prove from the cameras that they did it.

Paradise lost is all I can say. Why aren't they putting massive amounts of cops up there to protect people? If they don't: a. the tourism there will be destroyed. b. families will stop going.

I think about when i'm out in California partying like at Hermosa Beach, there are rows of cop cars and cops standing there just waiting for anyone to step out of line.

Anyway I'm just very dissapointed.

Paradise lost is all I can say. Why aren't they putting massive amounts of cops up there to protect people? If they don't: a. the tourism there will be destroyed. b. families will stop going.
Probably because it's about money and politics. I imagine the coppers have to juggle finances and resources just like any other business. It's a big ask trying to maintain order and getting the best bang for ya buck. BTW- There are lots of cops there at certain times of the year - schoolies.

I think about when i'm out in California partying like at Hermosa Beach, there are rows of cop cars and cops standing there just waiting for anyone to step out of line.

Anyway I'm just very dissapointed.
Sounds like a gated community on the beach. Maybe a donut franchise would be a good idea.

Why aren't they putting massive amounts of cops up there to protect people? If they don't: a. the tourism there will be destroyed. b. families will stop going.

The cops love playing politics with these things.
They play deprioritization games with it, until teh community get enraged enough with their local reps to demand the State Govt provide them with more policing resources.....In my view, there's guilt on both sides. The police are guilty of extorting more wealth out of the masses, and the politicians are guilty of not protecting the public and its property. In between, you have lawyers and judges standing up for the thugs, not the innocent.

5-15 years ago, the Gold and Sunshine Coasts had trouble with hoons. Hoons destroyed property and kept the tourist strips unsafe and noisy for years. They'd block off whole sections of highways and the freeway, while they raced.

It wouldn't have taken the police very long at all to wrap things up. But they let it go on year after year. Many tourist operators I know lost accommodation bookings because of the noise through the night. The police did squat. I personally intervened to restrain two groups of hoons who had nearly knocked over a mother and her 3 kids at a pedestrian crossing. Myself and another physically restrained these idiots unitl the police arrived, and we copped a serve from the cops for doing so. Nevertheless, the other guy was a prominant local businesman and gave the coppers a mouthful back, as did the mother.

I have seen a very set trend of break down in law and order over the last 30 years. And as sure as mud, it is going to lead to vigilante groups.

The proletariat will suffer for as long as it takes for the ruling elites to become personally effected by a downturn in quality of life. And that's with all the State police forces being run by Labor!

You never want rely on the law, when it is upheld by people who don't live in your street. There's no justice for people at the bottom of the pile...and the only good choice you have is to work hard and smart to get off the bottom as quickly as possible.

I have had tenants in working class suburbs trash apartments so bad it took pro cleaners 6 days to clean and repair the damage. I have had my life threatened by a tenant on probation. I had a young female tenant raped by this same guy on probation and his mate. I reported all this to the police (the girl had been shocked into an emotional breakdown, left the flat and her job, and gone back to her parents in the country afraid to complain about this thugs).....the police did nothing.....

I am a law abiding man.....but I have seen enough of life to know there's no justice for many in this world....and you never want to buy the company line on it all.

well said WinstonWolfe :)

I remember being up there sometime last year and saw a guy drive past yelling racial taunts at a group of japanese tourists... from a nissan skyline...

I just thought it ironic (and idiotic) that this guy would abuse some japanese tourists while he himself drove an imported japanese car which looked he'd spent a large amount of cash on. :rolleyes:

Gold Coast has always been a place to go to release your inhibitions. It originally had no sense of community as it was a place for holiday makers to escape to and avoid the repercussions for bad behaviour they'd get at home. As a Brissy boy, I always preferred the Sunshine Coast. The GC was always about hype and booze and seeking thrills, and there was always more fighting and localism. The Sunny Coast didn't have that in the 60s and 70s as much, but it is getting worse there too.

Unfortunately, a lot of young peoples' general poor upbringing, existential angst (about not being able to afford a house :rolleyes:), binge drinking, poor impulse control, and general lack of
giving a toss about anyone but no.1....... and it's all gone downhill in most western countries.

I attribute it to progressives encouraging the throwing out of traditional JudeoChristian values that saw our forefathers prosper. Sure there was a lot wrong with them, but what have they been replaced with? lack of meaning, angst, depression, chaos, no thought for tomorrow, a break down in sense of community, many young men being brought up without a full time male disciplinarian.

Truly, I have seen things slide downhill a lot in the last 45 years. And I think it is going to get a lot worse over the next 20 years. But I am optimistic the pendulum will swing back.

The reality is that there is an overwhelming conspicuousness of the LACK of cops in L.A.

You often see those car chases on the TV where there are 20 cars following one idiot, but outside of that you never see them.

It's all about dollars.

I have been up to GC on a few bucks and everytime we witness idiots bashing each other up.If we happen to be out after the lock-out, we would always walk in a group with head down, straight back to our luxurious Q1 resort. Not worth trying to cause trouble with the morons who roam the streets at that hour. These hooligans are simply immature boys pretenting to act tough. 80 years ago, boys as young as 16 were signing up to defend our country. Those are the young men we should be proud of. What are these idiots doing nowadays??

Personally, I have seen events like this everywhere in the world. I can't name one suburb I haven't and on every continent. Other than the middle east. Haven't been there.

Chris

Back