Gold price over $US1600/ounce

I may have mentioned this earlier but I had a Eureka moment when I heard how Zimbabwe "survived" their hyper-inflation: It was the black market USD which substituted for the official currency. People changed their rapidly depreciating local currency for USD immediately and could then afford to keep it in their pocket for a week. (A week is a long time during hyper-inflation)

The relative stability of the green back has provided a "trusted" currency for many states in crisis, but what will the Yanks use if/when their currency goes into free fall? Those who see no possible use for small denomination Au/Ag coins might want to re-evaluate their situation.

I also used to think that hyper-inflation could be contained within borders but I am now not so sure, if it is the world's reserve currency in crisis.

I also used to think that hyper-inflation could be contained within borders but I am now not so sure, if it is the world's reserve currency in crisis.

this is the 64mil dollar Q.

it's very easy to see hyperinflation in the US, and even the complete opposite with deflation.

how that equates to equities and market denominated in USD like the petroleum industry, is anyone's guess.....literally.

this is the 64mil dollar Q.

it's very easy to see hyperinflation in the US, and even the complete opposite with deflation.

how that equates to equities and market denominated in USD like the petroleum industry, is anyone's guess.....literally.

sigh not another hyperinflation argument re USD again. They've been saying that for 30 years and nothing has happened

read my post again. i said it's easy to see it happening, i made no prediction of it happening.

i also said it's equally as easy to see deflation happening as well, especially if the world happens to dump the USD as the petrodollar.

:rolleyes:

*edit* and the reason you can fill a small library is because economists have widely dissected the Weinmar and Zimbabwe, and the fact that their FIAT currency has allowed them to kick the debt can down the road since Nixon. while i'm sure the bookshufflers in the USA will do everything to skew the stats; whatever happens, it's not going to be nice for a US citizen living in the US.

sigh not another hyperinflation argument re USD again. They've been saying that for 30 years and nothing has happened
The fact is we are in a rolling debt crisis that began with the implosion of the subprime market 4 years ago. The debt issue is not isolated to the US and neither is the US immune to the sovereign debt issues that are currently rolling through Europe.

I've read arguments for both hyperinflation/deflationary collapse and I can't tell which is coming, but in my personal opinion big changes are on the way (in the financial markets) and the USD/Euro probably won’t make it through the next 5 years without significant changes. How that plays out depends on policies and decisions yet to be made by central banks and governments alike, but I don’t think hyperinflation (through a currency crisis where all faith in the USD is lost) can be ruled out.

You dismiss hyperinflation as they have been calling it for the last 30 years, but the US hasn’t had the level of debt they do now for the last 30 years, they have not been in the deepest recession for the last 30 years like they are now, the derivatives market hasn’t existed for the last 30 years… I could go on.

If you’re going to dismiss a possible outcome I would love to see it done with a deep intellectual post outlining the way you see the next 10 years playing out rather than with a single throw away comment.

Many of the same They who were laughed at for predicting the GFC for years before it happened.

The odds against "something bad" happening to their currency are far shorter than other events we insure against.

Maybe this is the time to take stock,i just can't see how higher profits-prices can keep going up,the next stage of the cycle may catch many
off guard..

There may well be a drop in price, back to 1500 even. But gold will again become one of the pillars supporting nations' currencies one day. This could even happen soon if creditors ask Italy to put up some of their gold as collateral for further loans. They actually have quite a bit in their reserves but how they can demand collateral from Italy and not Greece, I don't know.

The reason I gave the advice I did is that Theresa is probably only talking about retail quantities, not kilo bars. Buy it without leverage and consider it an insurance policy which doesn't expire worthless in 12 months time.

In these troubled times it does no harm to have a month's worth of household expenses outside the banking system. It you never need it, the grand kids will love you for them. Sovereigns will not depreciate over the years.

Back