Good alternative for MS Outlook

Hi,
does any of the valued tech savvy forumites have a recommendation to replace Outlook 2003. Besides the e-mail functionality I use Contacts, Calendar and Notes quite a lot. It would also be good if the new product could have some functionality such as the Business Contact Manager or ACT!.

Thanks for your help

Hi Rolf

We looked at ACT and Gold Mine in 2003 for a small business of 10 staff.
We ended up staying with Outlook and outsourcing management of the MS Small Business Server and Exchange Server, which was getting beyond me. I believe ACT and Gold Mine had similar shares of the market at the time.

Why do you want to change from Outlook? And what sort of functionality are you looking for? Is this for stand alone home use or what?

Mozilla, who put out the browser firefox have an email client as well, similar to outlook express. Can't remember whether it has calendar and notes etc...

Re ASUS notebooks, they have a good reputation, and I bought some for the above business about 3 years ago, but never made a warranty claim. Today, I am more particular about warrantys and am firming up on Dells (Latitude models only). I never buy notebooks without a 3 year next business day onsite warranty. Dell have improved their warranty response in the last 2-3 years, after being pretty slack for some years before then.

Notebook prices have tumbled in the last 18 months, but it is crazy to own one out of warranty. Motherboards or screens can cost a $1000 to replace.

I am just looking for alternatives to Outlook mainly for security reasons.

I am using ACT! at the moment I was just looking for a tool that would integrate better with Outlook and can be used across a LAN, of course, in which case I will keep on using Outlook.

Thanks for all your help also regarding the ASUS computers.

Mozilla Thunderbird is a good mail client alternative to Outlook - but it's a bit rough-around-the-edges in places. I use it for all my email.

It doesn't have calendar functions - there's another Mozilla project (Sunbird ?) building a standards compliant calendar feature that will integrate with Thunderbird.

None of these would integrate with the software you're using just yet ... so if you're looking for an integrated solution I don't think this is it.

If you are serious about email and security, go Lotus Notes / Domino !! For a small company (or one-man-band) - it's probably quite a lot of overkill though !

Ive just been forced from my mail only client - Eudora across to outlook for a number of reasons, some nice features but blech to use in comparison I think

ta

rolf

Rolf Latham said:
Ive just been forced from my mail only client - Eudora across to outlook for a number of reasons, some nice features but blech to use in comparison I think

ta

rolf

I'm a big Eudora fan.. slightly clunky interface but functionally excellent.. Can I ask what caused you to go back to outlook? Perhaps a necessary integration with PLAN software or something?

Hiya Dunc

Been using Eudora since 1996.

Like it a lot, but once your file folders get big, the tables need constant jiggging. On the weekend I lost my email database of 46 k emails (yeah I know people say why do you bother but its the way I work)

Outlook also struggles - but there is also the thing about ACT integration .....................

Thank the lord for multiple generations of hot swap hard drive backups ...............

ta
rolf

Back