Good/ Bad Brisbane Areas

This might be controversial, but here goes.

We have just started researching suburbs upto 10kms out from the CBD and want to know if there are any suburbs we should definately avoid - high crime rates, etc
Is north better than south, east better than west and vice versa?

Have started looking at Taringa and Toowong - are these good areas for good long term growth.

Thoughts please

Pompey

This might be controversial, but here goes.

We have just started researching suburbs upto 10kms out from the CBD and want to know if there are any suburbs we should definately avoid - high crime rates, etc
Is north better than south, east better than west and vice versa?

Have started looking at Taringa and Toowong - are these good areas for good long term growth.

Thoughts please

Pompey
Pompey,Those area's are as good as any to start,but i don't think it matters
anymore in Brisbane,if you are in the wrong place at the wrong time and
you look a someone the wrong way then anything can happen..
good luck willair..http://www.brisbane.qld.gov.au/BCC:BASE:2114709442:pc=PC_2408

To be honest the only "bad" areas in terms of crime I've heard of are Inala/Darra way and I'm not even sure this is true anyore. We live in Toowong and I cycle through Taringa every day to work so no trouble there. We walk a lot to places (city, Suncorp, Mt Cootha etc.) and I've not come across anywhere where I would worry. So I'd say west is good - although I've been looking east to invest as there is still some good value there too.

So you choice is easy - south, north east or west - glad to give you clear directions :D

kaf

Darra & Inala have been having bad names, hence used to be very cheap. However prices have gone up so quickly in the last 6 months, if you bought there last year you would have made 20% growth by now. A bit late now to buy in those burbs IMHO.
I would stay inner city doesn't matter which direction, rent has gone up & now you can find 5% to 6% return but you have to be real quick those properties go within days (or day).
Inala & Darra still go as hot cakes but I would not buy there now when I could get the same yield with inner city IPs.

After spending over ten years in the qld police service analysing crime trends etc i can quite comfortably forward the opinion that although some areas have higher rates of certain types of crime than others, there is no GREAT pocket and no BAD pocket as such. Inala etc has been mentioned, but most of the "crime" there involves just break and enters with the odd fight and domestics. go to the east side and the "crime" is often youths playing up a bit , go to the city and vehicle theft is there....go to some of the ethnic areas and specific "crimes" raise their heads.

this link goes to a page of the QPS Annual Statistical review from 05/06... http://www.police.qld.gov.au/Resour...calReview/0506/documents/11_districtCrime.pdf

on it there is a breakdown of crime types by policing district - a map of the police districts are on the QPS website as well if needed.

the main problem identified for policing in Brisbane a while ago is that crime trends are transient - i.e. property offences tend to have hot spots that move - you will get a heap of break ins uin a suburb over a few months, then it will be a another suburb, then another etc.

the short answer is if you are worried about crime trends first and foremost i'd be asking myself what you are trying to achieve...you can't avoid crime - it does happen and always will - if you can take measures to help minimise your risk then awesome...but brisbane does not have those inherently dangerous areas that parts of sydney and melbourne have.

hope that helps some

I would stay inner city doesn't matter which direction, rent has gone up & now you can find 5% to 6% return but you have to be real quick those properties go within days (or day).

I agree with this. I've been casually looking in my area (comparing asking prices to what onwers are asking for rent in r.e. shop fronts) and have noticed that it's possible to get these sorts of yields - but as salsa said, you do need to be quick.

One r.e. I look at had every property in the front window with a 'sold' sticker on it. Now, I know this is a marketing tool, but even six months ago, maybe 25% of their display window had sold stickers.

Mark

I think 10km circle is quite small...

For the people referring to Darra/Inala...the people who do crime live there...they don't do crime there..if that makes sense!!! :D

Just kidding...Darra/Inala is on the improve day by day...

I've "heard" that crime rates are high around Kenmore and Runcorn, but this could just be bs.

Good luck...we are buying northside...

I think in the near future areas such as Forest Lake, Doolandella, Eight Mile Plains, parts of Rochedale and the suburb near Rochedale (name escapes me) will be opened up more for development. These may provide investment opportunities in the near future. Nev Pask already has holdings in some of these areas and is marketing an estate in Eight Mile Plains near the RACQ HQ. If you have any land in or near Mt Gravatt this should be held, as the Council has mooted changes in Development for med/high rise in this area near the CBD. Urban sprawl type situation, and availablity of land, and increase in population, oh and a resources boom that according to the premier could last 100 years ?

Crime will always exist everywhere, as long as the property and tenants are safe, I guess thats the main thing.

thinking of investing in DURACK

Darra & Inala have been having bad names, hence used to be very cheap. However prices have gone up so quickly in the last 6 months, if you bought there last year you would have made 20% growth by now. A bit late now to buy in those burbs IMHO.
Inala & Darra still go as hot cakes but I would not buy there now when I could get the same yield with inner city IPs.

im so glad someone has brought this up as ive been following real estate around there for the last few years to see what its like compared to other neighborhoods such as darra, oxley, archefield, acacia ridge etc. (and even forest lake&springfield- which i personally am not that interested in)

being a town planning student (im 22) i've been taking note of all the developments and ammenities around this area and have come to the conclusion that DURACK is the place i hope to invest in for the following reasons:...

-whilst darra and oxley have the train line, the prices have gone up alot there and there seems to be alot more indutrial sites (i also work in Darra). Durack is more residential, and is basically integrated with oxley as the golf course is in durack.

- plenty of (new) bus stops around durack

- oxley golf course (off Blunder Rd.)

- fairly large shopping area with supermarket, dentist, videostore, tavern, resturant, some other shops, etc.

-took me 13-15 minutes to drive to CBD

-not much crime (i know a guy who lives in inala and he reckons its not as bad as people think- just has a bad reputation still. "durack" doesnt have the same stigma as inala)

-oxley hotel currently being completly redeveloped (its massive).

-2 service stations

-huge bunnings warehouse

-a fast food place (redrooster)

-mechanic

-2 other resturants or sumthing (cant remember, just drove past)

-some townhouse development in cintra st. (i'd go for a house with land though)

-
*this is getting too long so i will just wrap it up.....

in summary. i think Durack would be one of the most undervalued suburbs that i've researched and if you go on Realestate.com.au you'll see that every property in durack under say 320k is "under contract/offer" within a week. that, if nothing else has gotta say something. i saw a 3 bed house a few days ago on 635sqm with a pool and 2 bathrooms, so i enquired about it today and it had already been sold/contract for 278k!! (so annoyed). and a year ago i would've thought that was way overpriced.

its probably fair to say that you cant beat inner-city houses (i also have an IP in Paddington) but prices have gone up so much that i wouldnt be able to afford the repayments on places around there now, unless i wanted to buy a 1or2 bedroom apartment or sumthing, but my dad wouldn't let me even if i wanted to as "its all about the land". my parents are my biggest critics and pretty much rain on my parade whenever i talk about this or that suburb etc (they own alot of innercity property). but even they said "talk to the bank".

so anyways if anyone has anything to add please do as i'd love to hear some opinions to see if my observations are accurate.

i might also make this the start of a new thread seeing ive typed so much

mike

Back