Goods & Services that Have Risen in Price Due to The Carbon Tax

You know there are homeless teenagers sleeping rough on the streets of Sydney. Plus all the other people out there doing it really tough who dont whinge and complain, they just get on with it and do the best they can with what they've got.

This is my whole point about whingeing.

Apologies if i come across as a whinger about whingeing but i'm sad for what this forum (and as a microcosm of society as a whole) has become.
It's no difference to inner Brisbane,on my normal morning walk in the dark
you see up too 30 cars with people who sleep inside,a few homeless Men
set up camps along the river,and at about 5 in the mist several food-vans come along the river-strip and feed the homeless and these are private money people one a well know Hairdresser,sad too see as most men at that level
have mental problems fired on by 20 dollars bottles of wine and smoking the nitro,and you know why they don't complain because from what i see they are happy,after all the less you have the less you have to worry about,,have a good day the ASX SANDPIT IS WAITING..

Apparently 50% of homeless adults have mental problems. That's a sad figure for our society.

But i was talking more about homeless kids/teenagers who dont drink metho or whatever. Victims of circumstance. Abusive, alcho, drugged parents, no role models etc.....etc

They say a country can be measured by how they look after their less fortunate citizens. Not a good look. People think they have problems to whinge about...meh...

It's no difference to inner Brisbane,on my normal morning walk in the dark
you see up too 30 cars with people who sleep inside,a few homeless Men
set up camps along the river,and at about 5 in the mist several food-vans come along the river-strip and feed the homeless and these are private money people one a well know Hairdresser,sad too see as most men at that level
have mental problems fired on by 20 dollars bottles of wine and smoking the nitro,and you know why they don't complain because from what i see they are happy,after all the less you have the less you have to worry about,,have a good day the ASX SANDPIT IS WAITING..

pot...kettle.....black....Marc.
Ev, I'm the first to admit that I have a whinge; it's the coffee lounge where we all chat and vent and so on; haven't you got that yet? I suppose not, otherwise you would have stopped going on about whingers long ago.

Comment and discuss?? No....whinge...whine and complain.
All of the above; get used to it.

He's like a child endlessly whinging about something so insignificant
Insignificant to you maybe.

He never says anything constructive about it.
Correct; there is nothing good to say about the stupid tax. It was put in place to try to reduce the omissions of Carbon (dioxide) and to reduce the world's temp as a result. It is now known that this won't occur, so it will become a big waste of time which will also be a massive cost to our Country in trade as a result, and ultimately back on the consumer as well.

The only people who have been willing to estimate a figure on how much the temp will drop as a result when they were asked (most Pollies won't even answer the question) - was a drop of perhaps 1/4000th of a degree. The Pollies know the answer and this is why they won't answer the question - they know it is a total farce, but it's a good excuse to impose another tax; a tax based on lies.

Too many people use this forum as their outlet to air their petty grievances.
Yep; it's the coffee lounge, it is a forum for discussion, and discussions often involve whining, venting etc.

He takes silver to your gold Marc. Is it all really that bad guys? Seriously?
Nice link to the Olympics - or is the "Swim-pics" :rolleyes: don't get me started on the coverage...another whinge for you to attack ;)

Yes; it really is that bad for some, and my prediction is it will be bad for all in the longer term.

Correct; there is nothing good to say about the stupid tax. It was put in place to try to reduce the omissions of Carbon (dioxide) and to reduce the world's temp as a result. It is now known that this won't occur, so it will become a big waste of time which will also be a massive cost to our Country in trade as a result, and ultimately back on the consumer as well.

The only people who have been willing to estimate a figure on how much the temp will drop as a result when they were asked (most Pollies won't even answer the question) - was a drop of perhaps 1/4000th of a degree. The Pollies know the answer and this is why they won't answer the question - they know it is a total farce, but it's a good excuse to impose another tax; a tax based on lies.

This is the exact reason I whinge, can I afford the increases? Yes I can.
Am I better off than many homeless people? yes I am.
Am I better off than Julia Gillard? no I'm not.
Is she better off because she introduced this tax? Yes she is.
Should I be entitled to discuss the effects that a tax imposed on a country for no direct result to the environment and for the very reason it was supposed to be introduced but introduced only to give the Prime minister her desired outcome and to please the Greens? Yes I should.

There is a thousand miles of difference between 'whinge' and 'discuss'.

Large companies paying to pollute benefits the country whether you believe in GW or not. If they reduce or eliminate pollution, no tax. Simple.

And, no Gillard is worse off but she's doing what's right, not whats popular.

the point is, how does it affect you materially? As in how does it actually change your life? I've asked Marc this many times. But he's yet to reply.

I think whingeing changes your life much more than any compensated carbon tax.

This is the exact reason I whinge, can I afford the increases? Yes I can.
Am I better off than many homeless people? yes I am.
Am I better off than Julia Gillard? no I'm not.
Should I be entitled to discuss the effects that a tax imposed on a country for no direct result to the environment and for the very reason it was supposed to be introduced but introduced only to give the Prime minister her desired outcome and to please the Greens? Yes I should.

There is a thousand miles of difference between 'whinge' and 'discuss'.

Large companies paying to pollute benefits the country whether you believe in GW or not. If they reduce or eliminate pollution, no tax. Simple.

The number of large companies that pollute in Australia are insignificant to the large polluting companies around the world. So why have our companies buy permits from overseas, send our money off shore to buy permits that we don't know to be legitimate.

I believe in GW, but my believe in how to make a change is different. I prefer a direct action plan, doesn't necessarily have to be Tony's plan, but at least we can see tree's being planted, I can see a solar system on my roof, I can see wind turbines in the paddock & so on.

Worse off being a Prime Minister than being the leader of the opposition?

the point is, how does it affect you materially? As in how does it actually change your life? I've asked Marc this many times. But he's yet to reply.

I have to either work harder or longer to pay for the extra increases or be worse off financially, and for what I ask? As I said I don't mind being worse off to pay for the environment but the Carbon Tax won't help the environment. I believe we have been scammed on the Carbon Tax and for more than one reason but here is just one. The only reason it was introduced was to please the Greens and put Julia in the Lodge. She said it herself, that's why she said she had changed her stance on "There will be no Carbon Tax under the Government I lead", not I changed my stance for the greater good of the environment. It was about her & labor!

Is she??? She is MUCH worse off politically. And high income earners such as the PM are not better off financially, because thte 30% tax rate went to 33%.

Sure, but do it ACCURATELY. You started off the thread saying your strata fees had gone up $75 a qtr solely due to the carbon tax. When you were challenged on this, you couldn't back it up.

If you want to talk about the environmental impact, then go right ahead, but your main points so far have been about how it has affected your hip pocket.

Are you sure she's doing it because SHE believes the CT is the right thing to do?

It wouldn't have anything to do with the Greens and securing her position as PM ;).

Sure, but do it ACCURATELY. You started off the thread saying your strata fees had gone up $75 a qtr solely due to the carbon tax. When you were challenged on this, you couldn't back it up.
They have gone up by $75 per quarter due to the Carbon Tax, the increases in the electricity and the gas prices. A letter posted to my Strata Manager and read out to us at the AGM stating that due to the increases from July 1 from the Carbon Tax, please allow for an increase of X, which equated to $75 per quarter

If you want to talk about the environmental impact, then go right ahead, but your main points so far have been about how it has affected your hip pocket.

The main point in this discussion is about the hip pocket, if you read the title of the thread it reads Goods and Services that have risen in price due to the Carbon Tax, not what effect will the Carbon Tax have on the environment, that would be in another thread.

Apparently 50% of homeless adults have mental problems. That's a sad figure for our society.

But i was talking more about homeless kids/teenagers who dont drink metho or whatever. Victims of circumstance. Abusive, alcho, drugged parents, no role models etc.....etc

They say a country can be measured by how they look after their less fortunate citizens. Not a good look. People think they have problems to whinge about...meh...
Yes it can be measured by what people see,and those people who run those food vans do it out of their own pocket that within itself tells you something about the Qld society,with the younger ones they don't camp around the parks the petrol-paint can sniffers are in the Valley squatting in pre-demo buildings,or if they are lucky early they get picked up by Murrie-Watch or the various people employed to help those people after dark,help is out there but to break the pertol-paint cycle but once they form gangs is very hard too change from what the Ladies tell me that i know within the system..

The main point in this discussion is about the hip pocket, if you read the title of the thread it reads Goods and Services that have risen in price due to the Carbon Tax, not what effect will the Carbon Tax have on the environment, that would be in another thread .

You raised the environment bro, not me.

If the Carbon Tax wasn't costing people more, why would the government be compensating people

It IS costing people more, I agree. But not to the extent that you are claiming. That's my point.

It's easy for opponents of the tax to blame everything bar the Kennedy assassination on the new tax, when, in reality, most of the rises in electricity and gas prices are for other reasons. (Infrastructure costs, etc)

Jeeze, I'm just glad Abbott didn't try any blatant support buying tactics like promising billions for hospitals in key seats held by those holding the balance of power or anything desperate like that :p

For once I agree with you Ideo.

Offering anything to Wilkie was a huge mistake. He's as mad as a cut snake, typical leftie Tasmanian with his hand out as usual for all the cash he can get - you see, with Green's policy they have none down in Tasmania. He was never going to do a deal with the Lib/Nat coalition.....

Likewise, the garden fairy Bandt was never going to back to coalition.

Katter saw sense, if he backed Labor he would have been thrown out at the next election. The pastoralists in his electorate would have forced him to back the coalition.

Oakeshott and Windsor together were the key and the biggest disappointment. With their conservative country electorates, mostly National party voters will absolutely crucify them both at the next election, although I wouldn't be surprised if they both don't stand again. It'll be too embarrassing for them both. Very ugly for them both if they do.

In hindsight, I reckon this Labor mob in power propped up by the Greens and the independents has been a very illustrative window of what the country is like with a bunch of faceless unionists and fairy garden dreamers in charge. It's clear they don't get on at all.

I predict Labor will get kicked to the back blocks in the next election and stay there for another 4 or 5 election cycles while the country recovers from the mountain of debt built up. Labor and Greens simply don't know how to manage the economy.

I sincerely hope Gillard remains as Leader of the Labor party. She's great for the coalition.

Last edited:
Ev, it's simple maths and business practice;

Those companies which incur expenses have to either absorb them, or pass them on.

Now, in the case of these companies being charged the tax on their emissions, they may be in a position to absorb them....for the short term.

But, my instinct tells me this can't last, and something must give eventually.

Which way will they go?

Maybe they will absorb it in an effort to remain competitive on the world stage. This will decrease profits and will probably result in lost jobs.

Or, they will look to pass it on to their customers, which would - I believe - result in higher charges for those products they produce, and that we use.

How does it affect me materially? I will incur higher costs for energy useage apparently, and who knows what else will go up.

For me; the increases are a factor, but won't put me out on the street. But for many families; the effects could be serious on their lifestyle.

But my concern is not for myself; it is for those who will lose jobs as a result of all this.

And how much will the temp have altered as a result? zippo.

Last edited:
Going on from that, you can see the issues with having a minority government with the odd Tory/Lib Dem coalition in the UK.

It should cause both parties to try and compromise where possible. But it doesn't. It causes one party to become overly enamored with the sound of their own voice.

I do not trust the Greens as far as I can through them. They are far too extremist to have any particular level of say in the running of a country. And when they just have a couple of senators floating around giving soundbites. Any more than that and I have issues with them.

I wish there was a more socially liberal (in the classic sense of the word) economically responsible minority party doing the rounds.

The best thing that happened to the Libs was not forming a minority government this time around.

I wish there was a more socially liberal (in the classic sense of the word) economically responsible minority party doing the rounds.

The best thing that happened to the Libs was not forming a minority government this time around.

The problem being that these individuals are the wet liberals of the LNP and the right of Labor. They get drowned out in the sea of opinion within the party, but don't have a 'third way' to jump ship to.

Must be a sad existence for the poli's stuck in the middle.

Back