Gordon Green / Tim Stokes seminar??

I was flicking thru the local paper today and came across a seminar about "HOW TO PLAN FOR EARLY RETIREMENT..."

The seminar is only 3hrs and speakers are Gordon Green and Tim Stokes, has anybody been to this seminar about property returns, locations to purchase, finance and becoming a full time investor in 3yrs?

Bookings are thru "Profitable Business Concepts" and its $27 per head...BUT if you take a friend you both get in for FREE!!

this sounds dodgy (but interesting) to me, what do you people think?

Cheers

I haven't heard of them.

Give it a go, and take along a saltshaker- with LOTS of grains of salt.

And be very careful about the snake oil.

Gordon green has run ads in the couriermail in brisbane as well, according to the add he is 'Australia'a Premier Property Investor'. Haven't been though the ad looks like the marketeering too good to be true type but as I haven't been to the seminar I can't really comment. I guess the seminar can be good it's just the marketing guy that went overboard with the ad.

Y'all,

I managed to get to the evening talk by Gordon Green tonight in Canberra. They wanted $27 if I couldn't bring a buddy, I told them I wasn't going to pay money to hear a 3 hour advertisement - Take it or leave it - and I was quite prepared to walk away. They eventually let me in for nix. :D

GG comes across as a bit arrogant IMHO, and that alone was probably enough to turn me away. He did make some remarkable claims (not property related) which some members of the audience challenged and he squirmed a little. But interestingly after the first 30 mins about 10 of the 60 some crowd had walked out and by the end of the 3 hr night there were only about 20 of us left. (I figured I'd better stay and hear the guy out after the rant I put up to get in).

It came with all the usual comparisons about what % of the population retire poor and what we are prepared to do about it etc etc.

Anyways the bottom line is a 5 day course up at the gold coast with 5 star accomodation and 3 squares a day for $6485 :eek: and your spouse for an extra $1450 (no airfares included here).

A 5 star hotel during the course is not going to help my learning (or budget for that matter) in any way. I reckon I can learn just as well sleeping in my own home and travelling to a hotel here in Canberra during those 5 days, while he stays in a 5 star.

My 10c worth

Adios

Pedro

An inverse relationship?

Hi Pedro61,

Book into Steve Navra's next Brisbane course ($175 for the day) you get a beautiful lunch and a 5 star hotel for the venue. Plus the course only lasts one day. Cheaper, faster and almost definitely better than GG's holiday course.

You can stay at a luxury Gold Coast or Brisbane venue, throw in a BIG meeting and you will likely be much better educated and over 5k better of.

WaySolid.

Hi Pedro and all

Time to convert my sometimes “lurker” status to making a post. Crikey – it’s only been 19 months since my last post! And after this I’ll only be 145,231 squillion behind GeoffW in the “top Canberra” poster ranks!

My wife and I also went along to this seminar last night to see what we might learn as we had been to a few other good freebies at the venue.

Pedro, nicely summed up – I was hoping someone else may have been along and well done on standing your ground re the 27 bucks.

Alas, I didn’t get anything out of the evening and frankly didn’t warm to him at all when all he did was skite about his and his families achievements (after saying repeatedly “and I’m not skiting….”). But I couldn’t help think that he was doing a good brainwashing job with his routine and he’d be every chance to nab a few at the end of the night.

Pedro - my wife and I were nos 11 and 12 respectively to exit after 90 mins. As you may remember he was trying to convince ppl that to achieve goals etc you need a plan and not be put off by other ppl’s beliefs, dispel myths and all that – I got annoyed when as an example he used the 4-minute mile barrier and said that once that barrier was broken, 32 ppl did it the following year (you heard it right, go on give it a go, you might surprise yourself! correct answer is <5). Hang on I thought, I can’t let that one go thru to the keeper, so suggested he had his facts mixed up and asked him when this occurred and to name say………3? Reasonable request I thought given that he should be able to back up his claims when telling us that the impossible was possible in breaking down barriers etc. I even gave him John Landy as a starter but he drew a blank with any of the other 31! G said that he was a property man, not athletics and that I had my “beliefs” – he had his. I'd call it more like a factual inaccuracy. And hey, he had the mike so I had to suffer in silence. So it’s fair to say that after that, I took whatever he said with a generous pinch but for what it’s worth – here are some more of those remarkable claims Mr G made. You may even learn something about wealth creation, but I must have missed something:

He owns 7 businesses, has a BP of 120/70, a cholesterol level of 4.3 (oh yes, it’s all relevant folks!), has a 28 yr-old son who is retired and buys written-off cars for $600, then works on them for a couple of months and sells them for 30K, has 2 daughters in 30s who were dux and head prefects at their school but still work, his wife drives an expensive BMW, he has an assistant that he pays a “considerable” salary and she kindly makes out a list for him so he only has to look at a piece of paper each morning to know what he has to do and where he’s going! Surprisingly, she was absent last night so G was meeting, greeting and ticking off names on the registration list in foyer himself! He doesn’t trade shares on the stockmarket because if his shares go up, that means someone else has suffered a loss. Hmmm, very noble!

The other impressive anecdote was when he was on one of his regular fishing trips, having made 34K that month and feeling pretty pleased, he got talking to a colleague who he didn’t think was that smart, but nevertheless had made closer to 200K that same month, but still wasn’t that happy! Oh he was good, and had more proverbs up his sleeve than my last 5 year’s desk calendars.

So I did the quick sums and deducted the combined price of my 2 purchases: Jan’s wonderful book and P Spann’s with the flashy red car on cover, from the $6485 +airfares to spend 5 more days with Gordy and friends. I was just in front - $6425 +airfares in fact, so decided against hanging around and signing up. Pedro – any others take the bait?

My 2 bob’s.

The really tragic bit about all this is that Survivor was a 7.30 kick-off, not 8.30 so I only saw Tribal Council when I got home – D’Oh!

Hi Beech - no probs.

The other good thing that came out of the evening was that my wife and I enjoyed a rare romantic early dinner by Lake Burley Griffin (Big Macs & fries - change outta 7 bucks!). I'd insert a smiley thingy here if I knew how - I'll get there! Guys, I promise to be less flippant on my next post! Seriously, I luv this forum and have learnt heaps - I've got the ice-breaker outta the way now so look out!

Funny post :)

A funny read Rudi.

If he can't even get his inspiring examples correct you really wonder. Congratulations on the courage to challenge him in a public situation.

Because a share goes up in value it does not mean someone has to lose money! Did that one go through to the keeper as well? Disregard futures for this comment.

It's obvious that his target demographic isn't the type of person who has hung around somersoft for any length of time. That gives me an idea for spruiking marketing, just have a few check boxes - do you own property? - do you visit investing forums? - Are you worried about the future?, would you like to be financially free?.. That way they could sort their prey more efficiently, get rid of the tough customers at the door.

WaySolid

Hi Guys

I noticed the name Tim Stokes in the thread heading.

He is based in Wellington, NZ and has his own web site.
http://www.nzpi.co.nz/index.html

It has helpful hints on property investing and eventually ends up trying to sell his property analysing software.

Regards

Hehehehehe.... thanks for the early morning laugh, guys. Very enjoyable!

My question is, how can there be so many "premier" and no.1 Australian property investors? Either there's a hell of a lot of inflated egos out there or some people who just can't count :)

I'm sure this yr will see a large dying out of all these PI seminars. For those like this guy, who've obviously jumped on the bandwagon over the last couple of yrs, it's all downhill from here, as far as I'm concerned.

Jacque said:
Hehehehehe.... thanks for the early morning laugh, guys. Very enjoyable!

My question is, how can there be so many "premier" and no.1 Australian property investors? Either there's a hell of a lot of inflated egos out there or some people who just can't count :)

I'm sure this yr will see a large dying out of all these PI seminars. For those like this guy, who've obviously jumped on the bandwagon over the last couple of yrs, it's all downhill from here, as far as I'm concerned.

Lets hope so Jacque. But i dare say they will be back when the property cycle does its inevitable rise again. In the meantime the government should strengthen the appropriate regulations to deal with these guys

Please dont take this as a flame or a troll.

Maybe there needs to be legislation on how these type of people are allowed to present and market this 'material'.

I dont think there is anything inherently wrong with selling seats to a seminar as long as you are genuinely delivering on the promises you make in the marketing. I dont even care if there is after-sales because lets face it some people just dont want to do the leg work themselves.

I think its important and in everybodys interest that the 'industry' gets it right.

Even HK was delivering a strategy that worked (in certain market conditions). You cannot deny this.

Maybe you have to go to a government approved 'initiation' seminar before you are legally allowed to go along to a more serious $ 'workshop'. :eek:

Just some thoughts.

T.

A level playing field

Agree with TomL.

ASIC appear to be much stricter on shares than they are on property. I was at a shares meeting in Brisbane a few weekends ago, the presenter wasn't able to use any! current charts as it might be construed as advice.

Compare this with what people are allowed to do with property and you can see an obvious difference.

WaySolid

G'day Rudi,

So that was you with the athletics question. GOOD WORK my man. I loved his weasel words in an attempt to shut you up. In fact I was wondering why you hadn't walked out there and then instead of sitting for a further 10 mins or so.

Anyway you should come to the October Long weekend gathering we're having. It's called the Canberra Big BBQ. There's plenty of info here on the forum about it. And I wouldn't mind having a chat with you about property stuff. I'm a relative newbie in property, but I can still spot a seminar charlatan when I see one, (most times).

And yes I was a bit dissappointed in missing out on the Survivor kick off episode. :mad:

Cheers

Pedro

Hey Pedro

Yep, that was me - the Athletics buff! Was in unchartered territory with the challenging approach so was reluctant to carry on the debate so had to call it a draw but I was gob-smacked by the porky pie/ exaggeration, call it what you will - made me think abt the other figures/percentages he was tossing around on the night. Reason I stuck it out for a little while was that my wife wasn't as comfortable with leaving at first!

Yep, been keeping my eyes on the dates of the Cbr gigs. Unfort can't make long w/e as hosting dad returning from OS. But will be great to catch up for a chin-wag soon and look forward to becoming acquainted with you and the guys from the bush capital from the forum who I only know by name at this stage.

Looking forward to my Survivor fix next week.

Rudi

Keeps an eye out for the gigs. Generally we're doing them the last w/e of each month- except for "specials" like the big BBQ which is September's delayed a week for the long weekend.

I think the investment seminar field is getting harder to get into. Shares are more subject to regulation generally but after Henry Kaye, property is getting its fair share of attention.

Peter Spann has mentioned that licencing has become an issue. When he started presenting, he was inf a new field without competitors. The competitors grew. He switched of operations for some time (and sold a lot of property) in order to get licenced and approved by all the regulatory authorities. Now many of the competitors have gone by the wayside. That's a pity one way though- when I did Peter's courses, I placed a lot of trust in what he said about property and shares because he was not selling either directly.

Back