Gorgon getting closer....

the south west has enormous growth potential. a lot of workers chose to base themselves there. Busselton is popular as well because of the airport plus obviously with the new freeway extension it is now a lot 'closer' to Perth.

during the last boom pretty much everything took off. this boom is promising to be bigger and I think we are less prepared for it

Blue Card, yeah I picked it up in early 2008 though. In Dalyellup. I hope it'll be a ripper hehe...

Ausprop, I hope it's the mother of all booms... but as you know, 2006 was WA's boom. Looking back in history, has a state ever had 2 booms in a row? And in such a short space of time?

Going off tack slightly here, what other projects are starting to gain momentum across the country?

Whats happening in the other states to give a bit of excitement i.e.

Surat Basin

Surat Basin

I believe BHP's Olympic Dam expansion will go ahead, though the time frame is still not known. BHP uses the term if it will go ahead a lot but I think that's just more a negotiating tool for them with the SA Govt. Would be pretty hard to ignore one of the largest base metal resources in the world and not progress it quicker/further with open pit etc.

Fair few other projects on the cards in SA as well. Off the top of my head I'm pretty sure Ozminerals Prominent Hill project kicked off production late last year and will be in for a few ramp ups over coming years.

Surat Basin

This is what a local broker and BA is pushing in Surat Basin. He is also pushing investors to purchase using lodoc 80% loans. Will be a bit harder now that they don't exist any more.

DO YOU WANT POSITIVE CASH FLOW AND HIGH GROWTH?
Wholesale Properties Available with 8% Return

At 888 we have secured exclusive access to NEW house and land packages in the rapidly growing Surat Basin gas and energy precinct, 210 km west of Brisbane. We have new properties available in Dalby, where a massive build up of workers and their families is underway to serve the rapidly expanding energy, gas and resource industries.
There are projections of 16,000 new jobs and the flow on effect of 100,000 new residents in the area by 2016. There are 100 billion dollars in diverse resource projects planned and commencing in the Surat Basin; clean power stations, thermal coal, new rail lines, new gas pipelines, coal seam methane, gas to liquid plants, ethanol refineries, agriculture and a massive new cattle feed lot are some of the drivers in this new booming economic precinct.

At 888 we have formed a buyers agent alliance offering superior brick homes $20-30,000 cheaper than other competitive offerings. Local builders are working on wholesale rates while we deliver the savings to you.
These houses offer 8%+ rental returns and have excellent new home depreciation rates, ideal for adding cash flow to your property portfolios. With the rapid fall in interest rates these properties are income producing from the start with expected capital gains above $50,000 on completion, due to our exclusive wholesale arrangement and growth in the market.

This is the beginning of a major growth cycle for the Surat Basin. We ensure your property has everything fitted ready to rent and work with the best local managers to get your property rented quickly for top dollar. You also get our free property reports and access to the best lending possible through our finance brokerage.

Information On Dalby / Surat Basin:

Dalby is located at the mouth of the massively rich Surat basin coal seam. We believe that Dalby will become the residential and industrial hub for the Surat Basin's rich resource economy, much like Karratha in the Pilbarra.

The Surat Basins vast reserves of coal, coal seam gas,new power stations being built, Cattle feedlots, fertile agriculture & the ethanol refinery, will be a strong driver of employment and the economy. The 1 billion dollar rail link to Gladstone's ports will allow more than 10 new coal mines to open up, not surprising with coking coal prices increasing 300% this year. What makes Dalby a good location, is that it is not too far either to the mines and the gas fired power stations they are building, while only 85 km to Toowoomba and just 210 km to Brisbane.

The massive driver if late is coal seam gas which can be refined to Liquid Natural Gas and pumped straight into your car with little or now alterations. The worlds largest gas company BG was in negotiations and had been rumored to have made an offer for a share of Origin energy but it was conoccophillips the 5 th largest oil company in the world that was successful in their 9.6 billion dollar offer for 49.9% of Origin making it the largest sale in queensland history. All of this to get their hands on the lucrative gas fields of the Surat Basin. Shell oil has also entered the market by attempting to do the same with Arrow energy. There is a new proposal for there to be a 1 billion dollar gas pipeline built linking the Surat Basins gas with the Hunter valley power stations and indeed straight out to the Newcastle port for export.

I just picked up a block in Bunbury.
Things seem to be hotting up quite nicely, agent is getting a lot of enquiry and moving land. Talking to builders they also say they are busy!

Lots of infrastructure and mining projects in pipeline or filling out over the next few years.

Like:
Coal to Urea Plant
Worsley Alumina Refinery Expansion
Gas Fired Power Station
At least 3 Mineral Sands Mines
Muja South Coal Mine Expansion
Bauxite Mine - Brunswick
Alumina Refinery Expansion
Bluewaters Power Station Project
Binningup Desalination Plant
Bunbury Outer Ring Road
Access Road to Bunbury Port being upgraded
and more...

Quick back of envelope calculations say all those add up to about $10bn in spend over next few years.
(I am not from area so some might be underway or just completed)

I read in the paper today there is a chance of another big project to build some of the gear for Gorgon too meaning millions to local economy.

Longer term Colin Barnett has made statements he'd like to move some govt services to Bunbury also.

New freeway made trip to Perth much quicker on the weekend too, exciting times ahead for Bunbury I think.......

Anyway, I'm in!

Let's see how it goes.

Yust to keep an eye on US gas supply, link:
For the week ended Sept. 25 the Energy Department's Energy Information Administration said in its weekly report that natural gas inventories held in underground storage in the lower 48 states grew by 64 billion cubic feet to about 3.59 trillion cubic feet, the highest level ever on record.

Analysts expected a boost of between 60 billion and 64 billion cubic feet, according to a survey by Platts, the energy information arm of McGraw-Hill Cos.

The inventory level was 15.5 percent above the five-year average of about 3.1 trillion cubic feet, and 15.8 percent above last year's storage level of about 3.1 trillion cubic feet, according to the government data.

Natural gas prices fell by 5.6 percent to $4.57 per 1,000 cubic feet on the New York Mercantile Exchange in morning trading.

the rich and famous of malibu blew attempts to land gas into the US market. a tragedy for the environment and the US, but the US is on a slope downwards anyway

update from Karratha.

Chevron just came through - last week - and put the whole of the Karratha market under offer.

info from 3 locals.

read it and weep, Sydney boys.

not yet.

Chevron basically did the walk around and put anything that was for sale under offer.

whether it sells or not is one thing, but essentially there is NO STOCK in Karratha now, with a daily (hourly?) growing demand.

interesting.

will have to put a call through to a few mates on the ground and try get some more detail.

if you hear anything else, it'd be good to hear

just had a chat to a few people up there.

apparently they have leased quite a few homes but most recent sales activity has been from individual investors rather than Gorgon (or a subsidary)

I personally would much rather everyone holds off trying to buy Pilbara property just because they think it's the way to cash in. Think a lot of people may not get out of Gorgon what they expect.

Check out a few of the ashburton council minutes. quite a few applications for temp. accomodation facilites in the shire (inc on Barrow).

anyways, will be interesting to see how it all progresses.

apparantly woodside have a cap of $1750/pw, but they also had one at $1600pw which they were forced to up so take that with a grain of (dampier) salt.

building is so difficult up there and there is such a moron factor to contend with. it's interesting to note that many houses, whilst seeming expensive, aren't selling for much more than replacement. many applications to council are pure fantasy.

Back