Gosford - Central Coast

Evand

Thought I would give you an quick update on the property I bought at Woy Woy....I bought it on 2009 for 263k.....and is now rented for $345pw. It is now worth $350k

A couple of things I am noticing Woy Woy.....more people from Sydney are moving up there...and no most are not from outer Western suburbs. In fact in the high end places near water it is people from the Inner City of Sydney.

On the low end it is young families who were renting in new housing estates Penrith or Campelltown of Sydney are buying there. Most of these are families with household incomes between 85k-120k with kids. They usually buy a house for $350-400k so that they have a manageable mortage.

The lower income inhabitants are leaving as they can't afford the rents anymore. The property market is so tight there that unless you have the income, job and rental history you won't get a rental property.

As for facilities....they are putting in a lot of stores targeting the new demographic. When companies like Aldi, Woolworth, etc....move there they have done solid research.

It is an area with real potential...I would not be surprised if the values there keeps going up.

Evand...keep in mind that places change. I have a pretty good track record of picking these areas. And I believe Woy Woy is one of them. It is in a prime position to jump up in value.....why? If you were commutting from Penrith or Campelltown...would you no get a place thought older which is near lovely beaches and the water....and where younger people are moving into take advantage of relaxed lifestyle???

Also....it takes longer to get to Central from Campelltown than Woy Woy. Penrith is the same if you get the Blue Mountains express.
Mate, I'm a living example of this. Leichardt, Eastwood, West Ryde. None of these suburbs are out far west. I work in Sydney and earn well. The stereotype of this area will change. I live here, and many in similar situations are moving here. Your increasing property value also demonstrates this. There are far cheaper places on the coast like Wyong and surrounding suburbs for the people from the outer west to move too up here. I'd love to know who these people are that tell Evan that the playgrounds etc get burnt down constantly, considering actual newspaper articles containing quotes from the council say the exact opposite.

Yes, that is an impressive playground (about time), i saw it last weekend. The skatepark, surf club carpark etc nearby has always been a problem tho. Give it time.

The peninsula is seriously lacking in facilities and things to do. So it will only help.

What is fact? That it has less vandalism than expected? Thats funny.

And the areas you pointed out are the 'expensive areas' of the central coast. Million dollar properties. The would probably move there if they could afford to, so they settle for just off the peninsula.Ask a real estae agent about it, they'll tell you.

I never said i thought they were great areas, i just said i know most families i know move there. I dont think theyre great areas actually.

I never called you a feral? Where did you get that from? I

Anyway, if you have only been there 4 months, you wouldn't have a clue what i'm talking about. give it time. You will see what i mean.

How about reading the Central Coast advocate which actually says here: http://express-advocate-wyong.where...each-playground-too-popular-for-its-own-good/ that one of the best new playgrounds I have personally seen built right near the beach at Umina, actually has less vandalism than what was expected, and that the Peninsula actually has a low rate of vandalism? FACT.

Also, a friend here, who's child plays for the Umina bunnies said in Blacktown, the kids had to clear the grass of broken bottles before every Saturday game. He commented his child's team has never had to do that up here.

Also, I take offence to you lumping me as feral above. I don't swear in front of children, smoke, drink or do any drugs at all. I simply get angry when some people don't respect others thinking the place is nice, and constantly having to call on what your mates say, which actually completely contradicts the linked newspaper article and many other forums on the place.

Also, as stated before I have lived here 4 months. My Finance's mother, 60 years. Never once had a car stolen, the place burgled, been bashed ZILCH.

My Fiance herself I have to admit thought that Sydney might be better to live and moved with me to Eastwood last year. After a year we had both had enough of it there and moved here, in my opinion and hers best thing we ever did.

By the way, one of my close friends actually runs the soup kitchen in Gosford that you earlier referred to and she has seen it all there, so I don't comment on Gosford itself. However, the rest of the Coast seems fine.

Please tell me though what I asked earlier. Why would people move from Woy Woy to Tascott or Bensville when you say the whole Coast outside of a few elite areas like Pearly, Avoca and Terrigal is crap?

The demographic will not change. I waited close to 10 years and i've known the area all my life.

Sash, we've been over this before. i dispute that cap growth in that time frame. Do you have proof.

mate, i lived there and have known the area MY WHOLE LIFE, I saw the constant vandalism. Why would i make it up. You are talking about 1 new playground. I was talking about the new corner plastic playgrounds in the area.

I know who lives there, i know the demographic. I know plenty of people up there (including RE agents) What experience are you guys talking from? 4 months? An IP?

Mate, I'm a living example of this. Leichardt, Eastwood, West Ryde. None of these suburbs are out far west. I work in Sydney and earn well. The stereotype of this area will change. I live here, and many in similar situations are moving here. Your increasing property value also demonstrates this. There are far cheaper places on the coast like Wyong and surrounding suburbs for the people from the outer west to move too up here. I'd love to know who these people are that tell Evan that the playgrounds etc get burnt down constantly, considering actual newspaper articles containing quotes from the council say the exact opposite.

Mate, I'm a living example of this. Leichardt, Eastwood, West Ryde. None of these suburbs are out far west. I work in Sydney and earn well. The stereotype of this area will change. I live here, and many in similar situations are moving here. Your increasing property value also demonstrates this.

Re-Gentrification. Time will tell, but I think the peninsula has everything to make a big story in a few years like Redfern was a couple of years ago. :)

Sash, all i can say is 99% of this is wrong. We've been over this before.

I have known the area ALL OF MY LIFE, know plenty of people there, and recently lived there for 8+ years.

Your post is only your opinion. And i'd like to know what first hand , in depth knowledge you base your opinion on?

If you think the area will gentrify, i'm here to tell you first hand you'll be waiting a very very long time.

I know a guy that bought a classic peninsula fibro 2br house in Umina in 2003 for $318k, he recently tried to sell it and the agent wouldnt list it over $300k.

Evand

Thought I would give you an quick update on the property I bought at Woy Woy....I bought it on 2009 for 263k.....and is now rented for $345pw. It is now worth $350k

A couple of things I am noticing Woy Woy.....more people from Sydney are moving up there...and no most are not from outer Western suburbs. In fact in the high end places near water it is people from the Inner City of Sydney.

On the low end it is young families who were renting in new housing estates Penrith or Campelltown of Sydney are buying there. Most of these are families with household incomes between 85k-120k with kids. They usually buy a house for $350-400k so that they have a manageable mortage.

The lower income inhabitants are leaving as they can't afford the rents anymore. The property market is so tight there that unless you have the income, job and rental history you won't get a rental property.

As for facilities....they are putting in a lot of stores targeting the new demographic. When companies like Aldi, Woolworth, etc....move there they have done solid research.

It is an area with real potential...I would not be surprised if the values there keeps going up.

Evand...keep in mind that places change. I have a pretty good track record of picking these areas. And I believe Woy Woy is one of them. It is in a prime position to jump up in value.....why? If you were commutting from Penrith or Campelltown...would you no get a place thought older which is near lovely beaches and the water....and where younger people are moving into take advantage of relaxed lifestyle???

Also....it takes longer to get to Central from Campelltown than Woy Woy. Penrith is the same if you get the Blue Mountains express.

How would you rate the schools in the Woy Woy peninsula?
I'm all about honesty and being upfront, so I'll admit not the best. I'm also all about researching statistics before giving any opinion, which is why I can provide references outside of all the "He said, She said" to back me up.

St Johns the Baptist Catholic Primary School has a very good name on the Peninsula. My school Website also shows this school has excellent scores in pretty much everything and is above average across the board.

The Public Primary schools here are not so good, although my fiance went to Woy Woy South and turned out fine. Umina Public is in an excellent location and seems to have a better name than Ettalong or Woy Woy public primary school's though. My School website shows St John's the Baptist leaps and bounds above these schools though.

In terms of high schools the Peninsula does not have a good name, although neither did the public high schools where I grew up in West Ryde, so I caught the train to a better school.

Luckily the peninsula is in easy commute of Asquith, for a decent high school, Central Coast grammer and a few other good school's. Research Myschool website by doing a google search and you will get all goverment facts.

Really and truly, rent up here or mingle with the locals before buying no question at all. I'm sure you have visited Ocean, Umina or Ettalong beaches though and agree that the place is simply beautiful. Some people obviously don't like the demographic or get the neighbour from hell but I definitely haven't experienced it and neither has anyone I personally know.

Yep....a big hairy gorilla called the CBA who insists in valuations when I bought my recent property in Wollongong.

The reason for the capital growth is because I bought really well.

If I did not have CG...I would not be able to keep buying.

Enough of this boring diatribe...I am preparing for my next auction and need to view a couple more properties. There is money to be made.;)

Sash, we've been over this before. i dispute that cap growth in that time frame. Do you have proof.

Sorry mate, again your wrong. My daughter went to St Johns (she also went to Pretty Beach PS for a year which was better but too far) and my wife was a teacher there. And she knows schools and education big time. Was an AP in early 30s of a Sydney school.

To answer the question, it depends on your perspective. To some people the schools are great, to others they are absolutely terrible. Again, its an opinion thing depending on what you are like as a person.

A big part of why we moved to Sydney is because the schools are so much better down here. Especially in the inner west.

You've only been there a few minutes mate, you should give it time to form opinions.

I'm all about honesty and being upfront, so I'll admit not the best. I'm also all about researching statistics before giving any opinion, which is why I can provide references outside of all the "He said, She said" to back me up.

St Johns the Baptist Catholic Primary School has a very good name on the Peninsula. My school Website also shows this school has excellent scores in pretty much everything and is above average across the board.

The Public Primary schools here are not so good, although my fiance went to Woy Woy South and turned out fine. Umina Public is in an excellent location and seems to have a better name than Ettalong or Woy Woy public primary school's though. My School website shows St John's the Baptist leaps and bounds above these schools though.

In terms of high schools the Peninsula does not have a good name, although neither did the public high schools where I grew up in West Ryde, so I caught the train to a better school.

Luckily the peninsula is in easy commute of Asquith, for a decent high school, Central Coast grammer and a few other good school's. Research Myschool website by doing a google search and you will get all goverment facts.

Really and truly, rent up here or mingle with the locals before buying no question at all. I'm sure you have visited Ocean, Umina or Ettalong beaches though and agree that the place is simply beautiful. Some people obviously don't like the demographic or get the neighbour from hell but I definitely haven't experienced it and neither has anyone I personally know.

Evand, people have different perspectives, and you might be right in your own sense. But even with that, the area has only one direction to go. UP. Demographics change. Look at Inner-west only. Some years ago, suburbs like Newtown were Mt. Druitt of today. After some years, Parramatta became Mt.Druitt of today and so on. As population increases, metro expands, lower-socio-economic people keep moving with ever-changing fringes of the city. It's the same story everywhere, every single metro of this world, not just Australia. It's all about vision. You are talking about present and past. But investors should be more concerned with the future, isn't it? If the area hasn't grown in the past, that's gold, because it just means it will catch up. You simply cannot have million dollar suburbs very next to $100,000 suburbs, can you?

Everybody invests in property considering median past price growth. Some consider excellent past growth as a positive thing, and some negative. Some consider past lack of growth as a negative thing and some positive. :)

Sash, all i can say is 99% of this is wrong. We've been over this before.

I have known the area ALL OF MY LIFE, know plenty of people there, and recently lived there for 8+ years.

Your post is only your opinion. And i'd like to know what first hand , in depth knowledge you base your opinion on?

I know a guy that bought a classic peninsula fibro 2br house in Umina in 2003 for $318k, he recently tried to sell it and the agent wouldnt list it over $300k.
May I ask if Sash has had this conversation with you before, why you feel you need to tell him again? Your mileage is quite obviously different from his, and I have read this as a non contributor on this forum before.

You are not the only opinion, and neither am I. These guys need to find out for themselves. Some of the best investments ever (Balmain comes to mind) have been in areas considered to have poor reputations. You have lived here 8 years though, good on you. My Partner has lived here 28 years outside of a 1 year stint with me in Sydney, and her mother 60 years. I guess this makes her an expert on your terms, and we both chose to live here, and both could afford to live anywhere in the Inner West.

I don't know how people can talk up the Inner West and it's seen as simply liking where you live. However saying you love the Central Coast or Western Sydney you automatically have a chip on your shoulder? Accept it, different people want different things.

And believe me, it is very easy to underestimate your own area. It happens all the time. Overseas investors often come knocking doors in places where locals wonder 'He's come from there to invest HERE? In this area?"

The demographic will not change. I waited close to 10 years and i've known the area all my life.

evand, the demographic can & does change. My family & I have lived here for 3 whole RE cycles (28+ years now). What I have observed is that with each property boom, it prices more and more of the lower socio-economic people out. They move further north to places like Hervey Bay and Caboolture etc..... and they get priced out of there too I'm sure....eventually.

To use a Sydney example, 15+ years ago when I was driving home from the airport up King St Newtown, it was a dangerous place....I'd lock my car doors. The same in Redfern. Now both of these places have changed demographics and are desireable.

I get around a bit (OK a lot).....and I've not seen the vandalism you speak of.....but neither am I out on the streets at 2am & 3am either.

There are murders in Castle Hill just as there are in Petersham as there are in Gosford. People are just people wherever they live IMO.

I can run up any CG chart for the last 20 years and compare it with any Sydney suburb you like - but I know your not a fan of hard data - you prefer to get your facts by word-of-mouth.

Look, I am a fan of the Inner West where you live too, but for different reasons. There it is for CG and the buzz of Inner City living. You don't buy in the Inner West for rental yield. Neither do you buy there if you don't like being under a flight path or within earshot of a train.

I am also a fan of the Central Coast - for lifestyle choice mostly. Beaches where you can get a car park and you don't have to pay for it. Lakes to sail on. Mountains to drive in....all that sort of stuff.

Of the 300,000 or so people that live on the Central Coast, about 45,000 commute to Sydney every day. You don't spend 2-3 hours in the car / train every work day for your health I'm sure. But these people can get a coastal lifestyle with a Sydney income.

Horses for courses.

The thing is mate, i am talking from (and my opinions formed from) first hand long term experience of an area. I seem to be the only one here doing that.

Newtown, Balmain, Redfern et al are adjacent to the Sydney CBD with Parra still in Sydney.
Just about every major city in the world is experiencing gentrification of its inner suburbs over the last 20 years or so. (maybe excluding Detroit), its a very common phenomenon.

On the other hand, the 'insular peninsular' is not close to Sydney. There is not enough demand to drive prices above the general ho hum of growth.

If there was, you wouldn't be able to buy a 3br house on 600m2 1 km to the water for $300k - $350k there. It has looooong periods of no growth.

May I ask if Sash has had this conversation with you before, why you feel you need to tell him again? Your mileage is quite obviously different from his, and I have read this as a non contributor on this forum before.

You are not the only opinion, and neither am I. These guys need to find out for themselves. Some of the best investments ever (Balmain comes to mind) have been in areas considered to have poor reputations. You have lived here 8 years though, good on you. My Partner has lived here 28 years outside of a 1 year stint with me in Sydney, and her mother 60 years. I guess this makes her an expert on your terms, and we both chose to live here, and both could afford to live anywhere in the Inner West.

I don't know how people can talk up the Inner West and it's seen as simply liking where you live. However saying you love the Central Coast or Western Sydney you automatically have a chip on your shoulder? Accept it, different people want different things.

Sorry mate, again your wrong. My daughter went to St Johns (she also went to Pretty Beach PS for a year which was better but too far) and my wife was a teacher there. And she knows schools and education big time. Was an AP in early 30s of a Sydney school.

To answer the question, it depends on your perspective. To some people the schools are great, to others they are absolutely terrible. Again, its an opinion thing depending on what you are like as a person.

A big part of why we moved to Sydney is because the schools are so much better down here. Especially in the inner west.

You've only been there a few minutes mate, you should give it time to form opinions.
Once again Evan, unlike you who seems to only be relying on others opinions, I back up mind with fact. This goverment website shows St. Johns the Baptist is above average in EVERYTHING: http://www.myschool.edu.au/MainPage...r=2010&RefId=SzLMb6lNHCTHoluOnyXq67hB1oXli7ci.

I also remind you, my partnrs family have been here for 60 years. No problems whatsoever. I am also an avid beach person so go there every weekend and before and after work sometimes. Never had a problem.

And believe me, it is very easy to underestimate your own area. It happens all the time. Overseas investors often come knocking doors in places where locals wonder 'He's come from there to invest HERE? In this area?"
Exactly, here is another forum post which I found recently: http://journals.worldnomads.com/lau...s-Santa-Claus-and-Other-Adventures-in-Woy-Woy.

As you can tell I research a lot before forming an opinion, and don't like believing something without hard data. Data I have attached over the past 5 or so posts all points positive. Like I said before though, no suburb is for everyone, however Woy Woy has a LOT more going for it than most, which is very desirable for investing.

The thing is mate, i am talking from (and my opinions formed from) first hand long term experience of an area. I seem to be the only one here doing that.

Newtown, Balmain, Redfern et al are adjacent to the Sydney CBD with Parra still in Sydney.
Just about every major city in the world is experiencing gentrification of its inner suburbs over the last 20 years or so. (maybe excluding Detroit), its a very common phenomenon.

On the other hand, the 'insular peninsular' is not close to Sydney. There is not enough demand to drive prices above the general ho hum of growth.

If there was, you wouldn't be able to buy a 3br house on 600m2 1 km to the water for $300k - $350k there. It has looooong periods of no growth.
No-one would have thought that the waterfront properties along the Esplanade here would ever have been worth over a million, although they now are. I have never heard Woy Woy be called the Insular Peninsular though. That was actually a phrase used for Balmain in the earlier days.

Blacktown by the sea and all that talk is what the people with a negative opinion seem to call the Peninsula. I wouldn't go as far as to say this myself though, but there are also people (Google Search) who call the place "God's Country". I don't think either are necessarily right. The area has both it's Pro's and Con's. Can I ask you to clarify one thing though Evan? Just one. Even though I disagree, Disregarding what you thought of the demographics of the area, did you ever personally feel unsafe here? Or did you just not believe in investing and saw the majority of The Central Coast as being like Western Sydney by water?

I just wanted to confirm that. Purely because to many people that is the most important factor about living somewhere.

Boys and girls this is the perfect example of emotional attachment to an area. Good or bad. Evand we get your point you HATE the area we got it 6 months ago, but your sounding more and more like an idiot everytime you post. Ive sat back and let you have your rant but enough is enough....

SASH wrote: "more people from Sydney are moving up there...and no most are not from outer Western suburbs. In fact in the high end places near water it is people from the Inner City of Sydney."

Ive found this to be 100% correct its cost me numerous deals! i dont really have time like you evan to write and write but there is $$$$ to be made in the area, your opion is your opion and i respect that but your carring on like charlie sheen lol actualy you sound worse...

Last edited:
Evand

True, My fiance who has lived here her whole life outside of a one year stint in Sydney (So I think she is justified to speak) and is a St. George settlements officer in Sydney, is sitting next to me telling me she just settled a villa today in Ettalong which sold for $480,000, 4 bedrooms not brand new and without waterviews. She is also telling me that over the last 2 weeks she must have had at least 4 properties settle in Ettalong and Umina. How is the area dead?

Also, my old manager and close friend, now works at Perpetual in the Sydney CBD as a floor manager. Second highest paid person there, and has moved into Woy Woy, been living here for a year now and said she would never go back to Sydney. These are people on good wages who choose to live here.

Say what you want about all of us, but my partner is just a justified to speak as Evan in terms of knowing the area, along with the fact my brother is in realestate with R&W Gladesville he has contacts up here in the area who tell him without having any alterior motive, that the Peninsula is doing well and business is good. In fact, a few R&W's including North Ryde recently closed due to lack of business, Umina has not been one of them.

I guess this shows we can look at the area on two completely different angles, and people's results will vary, however definitely don't think everything is negative here, because there are people here with money, and as I said earlier, there are definitely cheaper places on the Central Coast like Wyong and surrounds for low income people to move to than down here. Please like said before, come and see the place for yourself, walk around the streets you are looking at after 9pm, and check out the dynamics of the people away from the pubs and clubs and I think you will draw your own conclusions.

Back