Govt Rebates

Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone had installed insulation or a solar hot water system?

What was your experience? Final cost? Installers? etc

Cheers,

PP

We have just had ceiling insultation installed in our PPOR in Canberra. We got two quotes - both came back at about $1,000 installed (about 110 sqm of roof space). We're eligible for the federal government rebate (i.e. will get the full cost refunded) because our insulation was assessed (by the installers) to be less than R 0.5. We just had that spray in stuff they used back in the 70's.

The installer told me that if you had less than 5cm of that 70's sprayed insultation, then you would be eligible. The installer also said that if you have batts, no matter how old, you won't qualify (i.e R > 0.5).

we recently had a solar heat pump system installed. advertised price after the rebates was around $300. We paid around $600 as we moved the system outside.

Very happy with this.

I just had insulation put in my PPOR, quote came in at $1700, rebate received $1600, all I paid was the $100 difference.
Now I'm happy AND warm lol

we recently had a solar heat pump system installed. advertised price after the rebates was around $300. We paid around $600 as we moved the system outside.

Very happy with this.

Which one did you go for ? How would you compare the noise of the pump ?

Many thanks

Neil

Which one did you go for ? How would you compare the noise of the pump ?

Many thanks

Neil

Went with the Rheem 325 heat pump. As it is outside, you don't hear anything unless you are near the pump. It only comes on at certain times throughout the day, so not all day, and really only sounds like an air conditioner.

Does the insulation make a big difference in the real world? could you notice it?
I insulated my old house and it went from barely being able to get the place above about 8-10 degrees even with a million heaters on up to being able to keep it at a steady 18-20 degrees after it was insulated.

I'd call that a damn BIG difference.

Have a read of this before you go installing one of these heat pumps in a cold climate. They might work well up north but not down south,
Ugh, we want to build and we're not allowed a good old fashioned tank HWS, it has to be heat pump or solar or something else horrifically expensive with no rebates. Reverse cycle airconditioning/heat pumps just doesn't cut it when it is cold, the article is right.

We have solar here but it has been installed facing south so it is constantly on boost. And as to heating, since you can't use reverse cycle when its cold you really need gas or wood to save money, electric heaters really hurt the hip pocket.

All those people in nice mild climates get it good. Us people who live in imitation Canberra climates get left to freeze. And for better or worse, in cold zones you are required by law to install a *lot* more insulation than in the moderate zones.

eXc - I live in Canberra. Down to -7C in winter and 40C+ in summer. Insulation makes an enormous difference to us - especially when there was virtually none in the first place. Makes the house much more comfortable and reduces the power bill.

Thanks guys, I am going to do my house at some point - just bought it a month ago. Was just wondering if it was worth it, sounds like it is.

cheers

Back