Granny Flat Approval - A guide.

Interesting! Thank you so much for the very useful posts :)

The checks you are mentioning above fall under the very first step shown in your logic tree right? and cost is approx $250? we haven't purchased (or seen) the property yet. but these checks would be carried out prior to making an offer no? as I wouldn't even want to make an offer if this in not possible

Cheers!

Interesting! Thank you so much for the very useful posts :)

The checks you are mentioning above fall under the very first step shown in your logic tree right? and cost is approx $250? we haven't purchased (or seen) the property yet. but these checks would be carried out prior to making an offer no? as I wouldn't even want to make an offer if this in not possible

Cheers!

Yes that's right. It's best to do the research before you put an offer on the property 4 sure.
If you already have a current Section 149 Certificate (no older then 6 mths) its $40 less (that's what Council charge us for it)...Probably best to PM me if you have any further enquiries regarding my personal pricing- It may be seen as advertising, if you know what I mean. I'm glad to help where I can.

Cheers,

Serge.

Now, to make matters trickier, the rough-looking plan you'll see in the Sales Contract DOES NOT show sewer depth. Ever. It might say someting like 6" VCP (vitrious clay pipe) and show some other figures in feet/inches, but they are distances to the nearest junction only- not depth. Sewer depth is NOT listed on that black and white print in the contract.

Hi Brazen,

My DB4YD plan has the same lines and numbers on it as the original black and white plan. Reading the DB4YD legend "maintenance hole with upstream depth to invert", I thought one set of numbers is depth at an inspection point.

Attached is the DB4YD plan with those numbers circled, do they give any idea of pipe depth ?

Attachments

• sewer.jpg
    sewer.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 293
Hi Brazen,

My DB4YD plan has the same lines and numbers on it as the original black and white plan. Reading the DB4YD legend "maintenance hole with upstream depth to invert", I thought one set of numbers is depth at an inspection point.

Attached is the DB4YD plan with those numbers circled, do they give any idea of pipe depth ?

Yes twodogs, those 2 circled numbers are depth to invert. Depth(s) are shown parallel to the orange line(s) and any numbers perpendicular to them are distances to junctions. The dark brown (short bits) are connection points and the squares are manholes. '150 VC' means 150mm Vitrious Concrete'.

Ive seen literally thousands of contracts (as you can imagine) and the sketch in the contract isnt the same as the dialbeforeyoudig sketch, like the one you linked. Please re-check the black&white sketch in your Contract- it's not the same drawing is it.

Serge.

Hi Brazen,

My black and white has these numbers but it must have come from somewhere different (it was a long time ago). Not a problem as the DB4YD is easy to get and clearer.

Here one point is 1.4m and the other 1.1m, so the safe distance to plan out from the mains would be a line 2.8 to 2.2m from the mains? (the green line on the attachment).

Attachments

• other sewer.jpg
    other sewer.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 275
Hi Brazen,

My black and white has these numbers but it must have come from somewhere different (it was a long time ago). Not a problem as the DB4YD is easy to get and clearer.

Here one point is 1.4m and the other 1.1m, so the safe distance to plan out from the mains would be a line 2.8 to 2.2m from the mains? (the green line on the attachment).

Yes twodogs, that's pretty much how we do it (twice the depth away from each end). Before we submit the plans, we send the draft to one of my 'mates' over at Syd Water to be sure we are clear as well.

one of my 'mates' over at Syd Water to

Good mate to have in your line of work :D

Have you have much experience with any tolerance to the 2 x depth rule? For example, being say 0.2m or 0.3m closer or is a hard rule and not worth asking?

Good mate to have in your line of work :D

Have you have much experience with any tolerance to the 2 x depth rule? For example, being say 0.2m or 0.3m closer or is a hard rule and not worth asking?

hehe..no it's exact.... It's exactly 2x the depth although the exact location of the sewer itself is not exact. A 'sympathetic' peg-out contractor may help (if you know someone) ;)

Despite that you can get still get closer, it just costs more. Costs go like this:
Option 1: 2x depth = $25 (stamp site plan)
Option 2: Depth + 600mm = $700 (peg-out, coordinator, stamp site plan)
Option 3: 600mm from sewer pipe = $1,700 (peg-out, inspections,coordinator, engineering, stamp site plan)
Option 4: Directly over sewer = approximately $7,000 (peg-out, inspections,coordinator, engineering, stamp site plan, concrete encasement of sewer)

Most of this stuff^ is on my website :)
http://grannyflatapprovals.com.au/images/GRANNY FLAT APPROVAL_MIND MAP.png

Good to check with your individual local councils on the distance of footings from sewer/stormwater line rules. Our council only require 1times. ie: 45 degree angle from the base of the pipe will determine the distance of footings. ;)

Good to check with your individual local councils on the distance of footings from sewer/stormwater line rules. Our council only require 1times. ie: 45 degree angle from the base of the pipe will determine the distance of footings. ;)

That's because you live on the lovely North Coast (you lucky b$%^$rd)

Sydney Council's no longer own the Sewerage/Water infrastrucure (since like 1970), Sydney Water does; and the same (2x depth) rule applies Sydney wide. But thanks for letting ppl know. Im doing a job in Orange NSW atm and it too has different 'zone of influence' to Sydney.

BTW, when Sydney Water do a peg-out, I assume they mark the ground with pipe location, but how does this get onto a plan or a survey?

lol twodogs I love your curiosity.... you remind me of me! hehe

Peg-Outs: The illustrious fishing licenses of the plumbing World (Im not kidding). Sydney Water has granted a limited number of contracts; they're a license to print money really.

It goes like this: When you (or I) go into a 'quick check agent' to get our Site Plans stamped, they look the property up on a computer which shows the property and the approximate sewer location. They do a rather crude measurement there- they measure the pixels on the screen. Seriously. That's how they locate it...by counting the pixels from the boundary. Yea...

If the operater (usually a pimple-faced appprentice) figures that your structure is less than 2x the depth (the depth is shown the same as you see it on the dialb4udig print we get)- he charges you about $26, issues you a 'Dolfin Number' and tells you "sorry, you need a peg-out". They often 'recommend' a guy who can do this pegout...(conflict of interest, anyone?)...

And it gets crazier...read on...

The pricing for peg-outs IS NOT regulated. Sydney Water Contractors, as they're called (the peg-out guys) can charge anywhere between $400 to over $1,000 for the same service...and here's the service: The guy comes to your property, walks around trying to look like he's doing something (for around 20 minutes)...takes your money..then leaves.

He then sits down and uses a program he exclusively has access to (it comes with the license)..did I mention these licenses cost hundreds of thousands of dollars to buy? Anyway, he uses his own reckoning, sketches the sewer location and nominates the depth + distance from boundary. It's up to him where it is, and there's really no way to know for sure. It's a guess mostly.

He issues you the Peg-Out (see sample attached). Now that you have this peg-out you can build closer (Depth + 600mm if the sewer is <2.5m deep, otherwise Depth + 900mm if the sewer is >2.5, deep). You then MUST take the peg-out and site plan to a 'Sydney Water Coordinator' (they too have a special bought license)..who charge you between $250 to over $1,000 (also NOT regulated) to stamp the plan.

It's a massive rort. And it's inescapable.

Ive had dialogue with Sydney Water over this^ for years and they just don't want to talk about it. They also don't want to talk about why we (the people) have to fork out thousands of dollars for a system that is unregulated, often in conflict of interes etc...It's like going to the police for help, being put in gaol then told for a 'price' we can send you to a guy who can break you out.

Crazy. But that's the system I (and every Sydney-Sider) has to use.

Last bit of craziness is the 2x depth rule: You'd think that the deeper the sewer, the more protected it is. But they figure that the deeper the sewer is, the more unprotected it is o_O...Ive talked with the Engineer's @ Sydney Water and they say the sewer is already under load from the earth above it, so putting a structure away at 2x it's depth ensures no 'lateral forces' are placed upon it. So if your sewer mains' is 2.5m deep they figure a safe distance (for a 100mm slab) is 5m away! Again, nuts.

End of Brazen's rant. I hope my 'peg-out guy' doesn't read Somersoft.

P.S. You'll notice on the attached peg-out they contractor measures distances from the fencing- since when is fencing exactly on the boundary? So all of this for an innacurate location. And as I said we have to do it.

Attachments

• pradeep ray PEG OUT.jpg
    pradeep ray PEG OUT.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 336
yer kidding...has it gone up at every Council me wonders...?
I can't speak for any other council- but I should have done it when I was first advised :)

So there's an extra $13 blown from my budget of $100K. It's disappearing rapidly.

Thanks Brazen,

Fantastic reply yet again. I know a bit of what you say having experienced the near corrupt world of the WSC system before, what with S73 at $1000 and a quote for a 10m mains extension (major work) at $16k, many times what a plumber with backhoe (not blessed by Sydney Water) would do for internal pipes. And that was 10 years ago!

Change of subject, just found out today that manufactured homes can't be approved under complying development, must always go through the Council. So much for affordable housing :confused:

l
Last bit of craziness is the 2x depth rule: You'd think that the deeper the sewer, the more protected it is. But they figure that the deeper the sewer is, the more unprotected it is o_O...Ive talked with the Engineer's @ Sydney Water and they say the sewer is already under load from the earth above it, so putting a structure away at 2x it's depth ensures no 'lateral forces' are placed upon it. So if your sewer mains' is 2.5m deep they figure a safe distance (for a 100mm slab) is 5m away! Again, nuts.

End of Brazen's rant. I hope my 'peg-out guy' doesn't read Somersoft.

I tell you Serge, this reasoning is totally different than the reason for the zone of influence calculation given by my council. :confused:

Here it is. The 1:1 or 45deg angle rule from the base of the pipe is used so that your house foundations will not be undermined or compromised IF council has to dig up the pipe at any stage to repair or replace it. Otherwise they could be liable for weakening your foundations and cause cracking, etc. :)

Thanks Brazen,

Fantastic reply yet again. I know a bit of what you say having experienced the near corrupt world of the WSC system before, what with S73 at $1000 and a quote for a 10m mains extension (major work) at $16k, many times what a plumber with backhoe (not blessed by Sydney Water) would do for internal pipes. And that was 10 years ago!

Change of subject, just found out today that manufactured homes can't be approved under complying development, must always go through the Council. So much for affordable housing :confused:

Transportable or 'Manufactured Homes' are unable to qualify, yes; all because of an obscure piece of legislation embedded within the Local Govt Act which some Council's are milking...they simply don't like SEPP's which do them out of income...Transported homes, though, is a different story and there are ways around it... it's a long story but you can read more here as a start:
http://www.planning.nsw.gov.au/planningsystem/pdf/circulars/ps06_018_transportablehomes.pdf

"Note that:
‘Manufactured home’ is defined in the LG Act as ‘a self-contained dwelling (that is, a
dwelling that includes at least one kitchen, bathroom, bedroom and living area and that
also includes toilet and laundry facilities),...."

So, no laundry= no manufactured home.

If the granny flat is to be built on land that is prone to bushfire, does it still go through the 10 day approval (SEPP) or will it have o go through council?

If the granny flat is to be built on land that is prone to bushfire, does it still go through the 10 day approval (SEPP) or will it have o go through council?

You can still get a 10-Day Approval :)
This is a fairly recent change, it used to be no to this question.

Regards,

Serge

Back