Granny flat+garage+alfresco ??

Hi all.

Thinking of how to best maximize the 60sqm allowance for nsw granny flats.
Does anyone know if the allowance includes garages or alfresco areas. I was thinking that if there are not included. You could put a washer/dryer in the garage and include an alfresco area under the roof line. Maybe increase roof height a little. These would all make the most of the available space and give a larger feel.

Does anyone know ???

Thanks. I've had a read but it doesn't really answer my questions.
I would like to build a flat partially over a garage. By placing the laundry in the garage it would free up more floor space. (assuming the garage is not included in the 60 sqm). Also an alfresco or plain old pergola would create more living space. I'll pm brazen also.

Cheers

Devo, is the garage already there?

Or you plan to put one in?

If you are adding or making alterations to an existing garage, it will require the standard DA approval and will not fall under the newer SEPP that allows granny flats to be approved in 10 days.

I had an existing garage and carport. My initial thoughts were knock down the carport, build the granny flat right up to the garage and extend the garage.

Issue with that was the walls joining the garage and granny flat had to be fire rated, and the private certifier wasnt too keen on the idea as it didnt take a genius to figure out what I was trying to do.

In the end I left the garage and carport untouched and built the granny flat right next to it.

The garage and carport did not form part of the 60sqm.

As for building one from scratch, the garage (being fully enclosed) and under the same roof line as the granny flat would form part of the 60sqm.

However if you chose to make a carport instead, because there are 3 open walls it is just like a veranda or patio, it does not form part of the 60sqm.

This is an example of a design with a carport. The house itself is still 60sqm as the carport is not included in the calculations.

http://www.grannyflatsaustralia.com.au/granny-flat-designs-sydney/2-bedroom-unit-the-saville.html

The 60sqm is only internal space (but takes into account the outside wall - ie your inside rooms will shrink by 100mm on each side due to the timber frame). For example if you built a 10m x 6m granny flat - assuming no other internal walls in this example - you would have 9.8m x 5.8m internally. This gets smaller if you decide to make brick veneer due to the increase thickness of the walls.

I'm fairly certain that the GFA (gross floor area) of 60m2 only refer to 'habitable' space. Therefore a garage or an outdoor alfresco would not count.

Hey guys.

The plan I was toying with was a new free standing flat with attached double garage. If the double garage is not included, I could take advantage of that and put the washing machine provision in there. This will free up internal space. An alfresco area will add space also if it can be added on top of the 60 sqm.

I'm just trying to milk the rules for all there worth. A well designed layout taking advantage of the above ideas will add significant space/ rent potential.

If you're buliding a garage, you might have put the whole thing through the DA process.

I doubt the garage will go through the 10 day process. Its only for granny flats I believe, at which point if you're going to go through the DA process you might as well try for a bigger granny flat (as opposed to the 60sqm restriction).

If you're buliding a garage, you might have put the whole thing through the DA process.

I doubt the garage will go through the 10 day process. Its only for granny flats I believe, at which point if you're going to go through the DA process you might as well try for a bigger granny flat (as opposed to the 60sqm restriction).

That would be good but my council is still in the dark ages with granny flats( refer one of my other threads)
they would make me connect it to the main residence via a all weather pathway which is not an option. A likely medium density rezoning in the future would be great but at this stage it's no 100%

Hey guys. I have a question please regarding an existing double garage. I wanted to know if I were to redo the outside from old fibro to brick, change the tin roof to tiles, would I need a DA or could I go through a private certifier in the auburn area? I wanted to keep the existing garage as it is and do those alterations but add a workshop on the side but enclose with one roof. My architect guy says I can't do the workshop because the double garage is about 36sqm and can't exceed 50sqm together, not to mention having to pull the garage 3m from backyard fence meaning garage shortened by 3 m! I don't get it. I'm not building a granny flat but alterations to existing double garage. Is this guy trying to rip me off or what? Anyone know if it falls under ancillary development or not please? I would so appreciate any help with thanks. Cheers!

Back