Granny Flat Room Requirments

Hi,

I want to get some advice on the minimum room requirements for building a Granny Flat in NSW?

Is providing a kitchen or living area a mandatory requirement? I assume toilet/bathroom will be mandatory.

And is this different between council to council even if you apply through SEPP?

Thanks in advance.

Not sure about what is mandatory or not - but why would you want to build one without a kitchen if you are renting it out?

Hi,

I want to get some advice on the minimum room requirements for building a Granny Flat in NSW?

Is providing a kitchen or living area a mandatory requirement? I assume toilet/bathroom will be mandatory.

And is this different between council to council even if you apply through SEPP?

Thanks in advance.

A granny flat structure is not a " dwelling" under the relevant code if it doesn't has one particular item:
A cooking facility, hard-wired into the infrastructure (power), whether it be electrical or gas. If you dont have cooking permanently hard-wired, it is NOT a granny flat or a dwelling for that matter and can't be approved as one.

Regarding room sizes, I don't think the BCA has minimum x,y dimesnion BUT it does have a minimum floor-to-ceiling height, and that is 2.4 metres.
If it's a raked (or skillion) roof, then the average height is calculated- add the lowest and highest, divide it by 2.

Regarding approval through the SEPP, it is State-Wide and ignores Councils as far as jurisdiction goes. The only power Coucil can exercise is:
1. They can inspect the development to ensure your Certifier did his job correctly.
2. They can imopose HIDEOUS Section 94 Contribution Levies onto you if they have a policy that allows it (un-policed and unchecked by any other legal body or Government Agency). Thankfully only a few Councils are imposing these ridiculous fees.
Check out most of them here:
http://somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59921

Just scroll through to find your Local Council , it's a long thread.

Regarding room sizes, I don't think the BCA has minimum x,y dimesnion BUT it does have a minimum floor-to-ceiling height, and that is 2.4 metres.

Serge, I think you will find that the 2.4 height is only for living areas and bedrooms. Kitchen, bathroom and hallways can be 2.1m. Correct me if I am wrong! :)

Serge, I think you will find that the 2.4 height is only for living areas and bedrooms. Kitchen, bathroom and hallways can be 2.1m. Correct me if I am wrong! :)

Correct. Sorry yea yer correct of course. In my mind I was thinking bedrooms..it's not like your going to drop your ceiling heights for all other areas (below 2.4m). hehe

Thanks for the responses everyone.

I will definitely have a kitchen area but trying to squeeze an extra bedroom if I can.

So I take a living area is not essential?

Hi,

Thanks in advance.

we have a new one that is in 2 parts for moving its 60 m2 2 bedrooms if your intrested

we have a new one that is in 2 parts for moving its 60 m2 2 bedrooms if your intrested

Transportable/movable structures are NOT buildings under the NSW housing Code and hence CANNOT be approved as granny flats in NSW- sorry.

Perhaps do some research, learn about what your selling and offer some real and helpful advise instead of trying to flogg your building. Just an idea.

Honestly, 'buyhotproperty', just popping into a thread and trying to sell stuff off the bat which cant be approved is not helpful and puts the OP at considerable risk.

Transportable/movable structures are NOT buildings under the NSW housing Code and hence CANNOT be approved as granny flats in NSW- sorry.

Really? I was under the impression demountable/relocatable buildings could be used as granny flats but require a DA rather than the Complying Development process.
Any chance of a link to the legislation?

Really? I was under the impression demountable/relocatable buildings could be used as granny flats but require a DA rather than the Complying Development process.
Any chance of a link to the legislation?

http://www.planning.nsw.gov.au/planningsystem/pdf/circulars/ps06_018_transportablehomes.pdf

"The EPI definition that refers only to the erection and/or use of some type of building will not include relocatable homes because (as noted earlier) those homes are not within the EP&A Act definition of ‘building’."

Most Councils simply WON'T allow Transportable Homes undere Section 68. A few country Councils might but that's about it. Ive just seen way too many people buys these things and end up with something they cannot re-stump on their site.

Perhaps warn peole about these restrictions before tryng to flogg them off. It will certainly be the honourable thing to do, no?

Last edited:
Back