Granny Flat

Attached is the diagram of a house I recently purchased in the Onkaparinga Council. This house was on the market for more than 3 months with a offer fallen off. I got this info from pricefinder. I like the house as it is closer to the beach and got a bargain

As told to me by the agent
History seller A - Got council approved for extending the 3 +1 bedroom house. The extension is a self contained flat. Seller B purchased the property from Seller A without knowing it was an extension and not a granny flat since the previous owner had listed the property with a granny flat. Both rented the Flat and the house separately.

I guess: Seller B listed the house on the market with granny flat and settlement fell over, Buyer citing it is against council approval. Seller B creates a door to the flat from the main house and sells it to me.

Can I go to council and ask for approval to make the extended flat as a granny flat?
Do I contact the council in the first go or use someone like a surveyor to have a better chance for it to be approved?
what would be the likely cost to get it approved ? with an successful or unsuccessfull outcome with council
How long will the process take?

Regards
Steve

Attachments

• House Diagram - help.jpg
    House Diagram - help.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 191
The extension is a self contained flat. Seller B purchased the property from Seller A without knowing it was an extension and not a granny flat since the previous owner had listed the property with a granny flat. Both rented the Flat and the house separately.

Regards
Steve

If the extension was indeed approved as a 'self contained flat'- it IS a granny flat already. That's the definition of a secondary dwelling.
I'd check with Council or look up the history with them to see if it is 'self contained'.

If not, you'll need a fire-rated wall between the partitions. This is not cheap (can be up to $15,000 or more depending on wall construction).

The costs would be approx:
1. Plans/specs done by a drafty or architect (approx $4,000 incl. survey).
2. Certification fees (approx $2,000)
3. Physical works; fire-rated-wall ($15,000).
TOTAL: approx $20,000

Thnx Brazen for your comments

I spoke to the council and they say it is approved as a house and a granny flat. However, I cannot rent it to tow families since it is a approved as a single dwelling. To make it multi dwelling, I have to ensure the curb appeal of the granny flat, the floor plans, setbacks, in addition to the points to mentioned. He was unable to give me an estimate how much it may cost me to make a multi-dwelling (dont blame him).

He recommended me to go to a builder and townplanner to see what can be done. The challenge I have is I am in sydney and the property is in SA. I dont mind a professional company taking care of the entire process as long as I know
1) the total cost of the project
2) going to be approved by council. Based on the way council planner spoke he says it is possible.

I can then do the feasibility of the project.

What are your thoughts? who must I approach first? and who else must be on the team. On a side note I will google for companies similar to you in SA.

He said it is zoned as multi dwelling so that I can make it two storeys and add more dwellings on the block. I dont intend to this since it will be a costly exercise. I might do that in the future when the market has picked up.

Thnx in advance
Steve

Thnx Brazen for your comments

I spoke to the council and they say it is approved as a house and a granny flat. However, I cannot rent it to tow families since it is a approved as a single dwelling. To make it multi dwelling, I have to ensure the curb appeal of the granny flat, the floor plans, setbacks, in addition to the points to mentioned. He was unable to give me an estimate how much it may cost me to make a multi-dwelling (dont blame him).

Steve

I still dont understand. If it's an approved granny flat can't you just rent it out? Perhaps the laws are different in SA...if so you'd be looking at either a 'boarding house' situation or similar (multi-unit dwelling).

You'll have to call an architect/town planner in SA I suspect and he/she will look at it's compliance for you. Expect to pay approx $500 for them to check the property against Council's controls.

Serge.

I still dont understand. If it's an approved granny flat can't you just rent it out? Perhaps the laws are different in SA...if so you'd be looking at either a 'boarding house' situation or similar (multi-unit dwelling).

You'll have to call an architect/town planner in SA I suspect and he/she will look at it's compliance for you. Expect to pay approx $500 for them to check the property against Council's controls.

Serge.

Shoalhaven council describe a granny flat as a dwelling that is connected by an allweather axcess and has one shared facility. They also state you MUST NOT rent it seperately.

The above description stuffed me during my dual occ because although approved as a flat. They deemed it a dual occ because it had no all weather direct axcess to the house.( So cant build a new house when already a dual occ in their minds)

And thats the reason i went to great expense to decommision a perfectly good flat for my dual occ.:mad: As you can tell im still bitter.

I spent a small fortune connecting the flat while the new rules allow for a detached flat. Cant beat the council but so i played their game.

Cheers

Back