Granny flats go glam as approvals soar

One couple is even qualifying for the $15,000 first home owners' grant.

''We've just taken a deposit from a young couple in Avalon who plan to build a new home on a block they've bought for $530,000,'' Mr Brennan said.

''They're going to live in it until they can afford to erect their principal property.

''The module came in at just under $120,000 and because they're under the $650,000 threshold they've qualified for the $15,000 grant.''

Does that not seem ridiculous? Instead of spending 530k on a block of land and then having to live in a granny flat as they couldn't afford to build the house, they could have built their dream house in a more affordable area.

Does that not seem ridiculous? Instead of spending 530k on a block of land and then having to live in a granny flat as they couldn't afford to build the house, they could have built their dream house in a more affordable area.

choice is a good thing though

one persons folly is anothers dream

ta
rolf

We bought a block of land we really liked, at a price well above the average for the time (a very large block) and rented for a few years until we could afford to build.

They will be doing the same, but won't have to rent.

We were considering a similar plan but rent in Canberra is far too expensive to pay that along with a non income producing mortgage on the land.

Actually doesn't seem ridiculous to me at all.

Firstly they are saving the stamps and agents fees associated with an upgrade in xx years.

Secondly if the granny flat is transportable then they can sell when they don't need it anymore or put it on another block and create an IP.

Secondly if the granny flat is transportable then they can sell when they don't need it anymore or put it on another block and create an IP.

Hi Westminster,

Transpotrable buildings cant be approved as granny flats in about 95% of Council areas. They cant be aproved under the State SEPP (10-day approval) legislation anywhere in NSW. reason is Planning NSW doesnt consider them to be buildings under the EP&A Act. Read the ducument below for clarification.

BUT they can be approved under Section-68 of the LGA. Unfortunately not many Sydney Council's allow this. Can you imagine the City of Sydney Council allowing a transportable home in a backyard at Point Piper?

In Sydney, Ive only had limited success with:
1. Blacktown City Council. They also require Dual-Occupancy prescriptions to be met (2x car spaces etc).
2. Penrith City Council.

Outside of Sydney I've done transportable/relocatable home and granny flat approvals in over 10 Rural Councils, like Orange, Bathurst, Blayney, Cessnock. Lake Macquarie etc. They dont mind as much but can still refuse it if it isn't in keeping with the streetscape and the desired outcomes of the area.

http://www.planning.nsw.gov.au/planningsystem/pdf/circulars/ps06_018_transportablehomes.pdf

Brazen

Last edited:

I dunno. My grandmother raised her kids in the garage while they built the house for the first few years and then my dad actually did the same thing - I have memories of living in a double garage with an open fire for hotwater and cooking. Trying to imagine that now makes me laugh though but maybe doing it with a granny flat is the closest possible legal thing.

I dunno. My grandmother raised her kids in the garage while they built the house for the first few years and then my dad actually did the same thing - I have memories of living in a double garage with an open fire for hotwater and cooking. Trying to imagine that now makes me laugh though but maybe doing it with a granny flat is the closest possible legal thing.

Granny flats have a come a LONG WAY from a garage with an open fire for cooking heh. Check out some of these recent builds. Might change your perception:

http://www.grannyflatapprovals.com.au/projects

Brazen

Back