Granny Flats in Perth

Legislation came into effect as at 1st of August 2013 that allows WA residents to lease a granny flat on the open rental market as per our Eastern States friends.

1. Has any one applied, in the process of applying or intending to apply for a GF approval?

2. What has been your experience so far?

3. Any experience with builders that you can share and or recommend based on initial inquiries.

4. Any tips on the process involved to get the ball rolling and keep it rolling?

Any recomendations for builders of GFs in Perth would be helpful as well as estimated costs for a mid spec turnkey one and two bedroom GF.

Some have a TPS already in place restricting to 60sqm. Overrides the RCodes at 70sqm. If no TPS in place, defaults to 70sqm.

I can actually get a 2x2 inside 70 so it does change things somewhat....

Some have a TPS already in place restricting to 60sqm. Overrides the RCodes at 70sqm. If no TPS in place, defaults to 70sqm.

Thanks, I guess majority wouldn't have TPS? 2 bed is a big difference.

Isn't it possible to put a 2x2+study inside 70? Say on a 7x10 GF, kitchen+toilet+washing room+ bedroom on one side and living room+study+bedroom on other side? The study to be used as a dining room if needed... Or a 3x1?

And a varanda can be added as well giving an outdoor living area..

Legislation came into effect as at 1st of August 2013 that allows WA residents to lease a granny flat on the open rental market as per our Eastern States friends.

1. Has any one applied, in the process of applying or intending to apply for a GF approval?

2. What has been your experience so far?

3. Any experience with builders that you can share and or recommend based on initial inquiries.

4. Any tips on the process involved to get the ball rolling and keep it rolling?

Id also be interested in hearing peoples experiences who have already done this.

with power and water connections, these need separate meters if you are renting out to tenants. are there long waits from watercorp and western power to get this approved?

Id also be interested in hearing peoples experiences who have already done this.

with power and water connections, these need separate meters if you are renting out to tenants. are there long waits from watercorp and western power to get this approved?

Someone else on here was saying they didnt bother with that step, just kept it as one meter and paid their bills (included it in rent).

are allowed now to have a property with granny flat and rent both dwellings out to unrelated parties? if so getting away without separate meters would be difficult

I'm doing the planning for a pair of GFs right now and my plan is to get a sub-meter installed for services, so the amounts can simply to deducted after each bill.

Its not perfect, but completely separate metering from the mains is a lot more expensive (especially with power).

Isn't it possible to put a 2x2+study inside 70? Say on a 7x10 GF, kitchen+toilet+washing room+ bedroom on one side and living room+study+bedroom on other side? The study to be used as a dining room if needed... Or a 3x1?

And a varanda can be added as well giving an outdoor living area..

Not unless you are renting to some little people.

You could get rid of one bathroom in a 2 x 2 and maybe do a small study nook but I think the extra bathroom is worth more than a study nook.

Ive enjoyed reading this thread :)
It reminds me of the conversations we all had when the NSW legislation came into force in 2009.

Boy have granny flats (designs and the growing number of builders) come a LONG way in just 3.5 years.

In NSW it took probably 1-2 years before the whispers spread but I think with NSW at almost full speed, WA might see a faster takeup. Look out WA, the granny flat boom is about to hit you too,lol.

Brazen.

Back