granny flats on blocks <450m2 in nsw

Was reading
http://www.grannyflatapprovals.com.au/approval-guide

and saw that may get approval for an attached granny flat if the lot is below 450m2.

Would that mean it may be possible to convert a double garage to a granny flat on a block (say 300-350m2) as long as all the factors are approvable.

Dont have any intention but would consider this as an option in the future

Irrelevant the the original post
but would there be an issue of having a granny flat on a dual occupancy(detatched) build.
the granny flat would be considered after the subdivision so then there would only be one dwelling on each title (torrens title)

The 450sqm minimum lot size rule relates to code sepp for complying development. This is a hard and fast rule meaning if the lot is just 449sqm you cannot approve a granny flat approved under the sepp\complying development.

This means your only option is to apply for the granny flat through DA\with council. However many councils have aligned their own DCP with that of the SEPP meaning if you dont comply with the code sepp by a lot e.g. 350sqm then its unlikely your will comply with councils DCP.

Your best first step will be to call the relevant council and ask to speak to the duty town planner and ask the question.

Was reading
http://www.grannyflatapprovals.com.au/approval-guide

and saw that may get approval for an attached granny flat if the lot is below 450m2.

Would that mean it may be possible to convert a double garage to a granny flat on a block (say 300-350m2) as long as all the factors are approvable.

Dont have any intention but would consider this as an option in the future

Is your property a minimum size of 450 sq m?
YES: Go to Step 2
NO: You cannot get 10-Day approval for a detached granny flat, but may get approval for an attached granny flat.

From what i read there thought that was in regard to 10 day approval

maybe best to ask http://www.grannyflatapprovals.com.au/
but thought i would ask here first instead of bothering them as i am not currently going to do this at the moment

You CAN indeed build or convert to a granny flat if the block is <450 sq. m as long as its ATTACHED to the main dwelling.

The setback rules for attached granny flats are the same as for detached granny flats as follows:

SIDE: 0.9m for blocks <900 sq m; otherwise 1.5 m
REAR: 3m for blocks <900 sq m; otherwise 5m

If it's a CONVERSION of an EXISTING STRUCTURE (no extension works proposed), all setbacks can be ZERO but if the setback is <0.9m, you'll need the walls on that face to be fire rated. This means brick/masonry/fire retardant cladding and no window/door openings on that part of the face affected.

IMPORTANT: The married, adjoining wall to the main dwelling (and roof if a shared, common roof) must also be fire rated. This can get very expensive in existing dwelling/garage scenarios especially if there are rooms above. Think London semi-detached dwellings. They share common roofs but the brick separating walls go all the way up to the roof tiles.

Brazen.

P.S. You CANNOT do any kind of secondary dwelling (granny flat) on an existing dual occupancy/strata property. I get calls asking for this quite a bit would you believe!

You CAN indeed build or convert to a granny flat if the block is <450 sq. m as long as its ATTACHED to the main dwelling.

The setback rules for attached granny flats are the same as for detached granny flats as follows:

SIDE: 0.9m for blocks <900 sq m; otherwise 1.5 m
REAR: 3m for blocks <900 sq m; otherwise 5m

If it's a CONVERSION of an EXISTING STRUCTURE (no extension works proposed), all setbacks can be ZERO but if the setback is <0.9m, you'll need the walls on that face to be fire rated. This means brick/masonry/fire retardant cladding and no window/door openings on that part of the face affected.

IMPORTANT: The married, adjoining wall to the main dwelling (and roof if a shared, common roof) must also be fire rated. This can get very expensive in existing dwelling/garage scenarios especially if there are rooms above. Think London semi-detached dwellings. They share common roofs but the brick separating walls go all the way up to the roof tiles.

Brazen.

P.S. You CANNOT do any kind of secondary dwelling (granny flat) on an existing dual occupancy/strata property. I get calls asking for this quite a bit would you believe!

What if I built upstairs on a new two storey home as a separate dwelling? What would I have to do for that?

Granny flat without council approval

Hi There,

Is anyone having experience building granny flat without council approval?
I converted my double garage to potential granny flat, 60% job done, 2 bedrooms, bathroom, laundry and little kitchenette. 38 sq. Just shell and partition, no water or electricity connection yet. Council came and asked me to stop working. Now I got the letter from council to find BCA to evaluate the granny flat. Can anyone recommend what should I do next?

Thanks

Hi There,

Is anyone having experience building granny flat without council approval?
I converted my double garage to potential granny flat, 60% job done, 2 bedrooms, bathroom, laundry and little kitchenette. 38 sq. Just shell and partition, no water or electricity connection yet. Council came and asked me to stop working. Now I got the letter from council to find BCA to evaluate the granny flat. Can anyone recommend what should I do next?

Thanks

Hi montyk,

BCA means Building Code of Australia which (no doubt) is what Council wants you to comply with. The best path is to find a planner/drafts-person etc who knows what they're doing to get you over the line and your granny flat conversion approval done.

Brazen.

Back