Granny Flats Perth

I was just wondering what experiences people have had regarding building granny flats in the Perth area. Experiences good and bad and costs. Thanks.

I'm in the process of doing a pair of them now.

Only up to design and planning approval process, but I've been strategising about them for over a year.

What were you thinking of doing?

Building one (2 bed 1 bath 60sq) now - 12 weeks in almost finished. Builder is going to rent it off me for 3 months and use as a display GF. Which is good so will give me time to find tenant.

No bad experience yet though if you make any variation have to add 30% builders cost on top. ie I added a security door - should have done it myself.

For those in the process or who have completed this, approx costs and expected returns would be great. Particularly those in Perth.

I'm in the process of doing a pair of them now.

Only up to design and planning approval process, but I've been strategising about them for over a year.

What were you thinking of doing?

I am looking at targeting older properties on 800 square metres of land, that have R60 rezoning (from R20) in about 8-10 years time. I have already identified some properties meeting the criteria, that would suit a granny flat on the rear. I want to have the granny flat installed in such a way that it can easily be moved to another site in the future.

I want to have the granny flat installed in such a way that it can easily be moved to another site in the future.
Disclaimer: I have not dealt with any of these companies and know nothing about them. Something to consider if you want to move the granny flat in the future is a 'pod' type granny flat such as:

http://www.bluefrontier.com/index.html

http://www.norfolkhomes.net.au/what-is-modpod/

I rather like the look of the bluefrontier pods but you would need to make sure they meet your target market expectations and that a pod can be moved to another site.

Sunnybill
Interested in your modular/moveable idea. Every time I have enquired, in Brisbane, the cost per m2 is maybe another 60%, and you still have connection/landscaping costs.

Any comments on per m2 costs for modular, and if you can make it work? It is a good idea.

I've been trying to get a granny flat built next to my former PPOR for 9 months now. It was all set to go when the local council sent me a bill for almost 5 k for a storm water drainage levy. The builder ran for cover, I almost went postal and we are still arguing over it, it seems an arbitrary cost which has not been applied to a nearby brand new GF with the same builder. Council also demanded changes to a design that cost me xxxxxxxxxx to pimp up to fit with the local ambience and which the builder (one of the biggest) said, was a done deal.:(

I am looking at targeting older properties on 800 square metres of land, that have R60 rezoning (from R20) in about 8-10 years time. I have already identified some properties meeting the criteria, that would suit a granny flat on the rear. I want to have the granny flat installed in such a way that it can easily be moved to another site in the future.

sunnybill, how will you know where will be R60 in 8-10 years time?

The only thing to be aware of with transportable dwellings is that a bank won't finance the purchase/construction of it as it is not a fixed asset.

sunnybill, how will you know where will be R60 in 8-10 years time?

The only thing to be aware of with transportable dwellings is that a bank won't finance the purchase/construction of it as it is not a fixed asset.

I am looking in City Of Wanneroo. They have advised where this is happening in order of priority. I have been in contact with them to see how it is progressing and there estimated timelines. I have added 3 years on to this!!!, but are prepared to wait longer. In relation to financing I understand they are not treated as Transportable dwellings even though it would be relatively easy to remove them to another location.

Building one (2 bed 1 bath 60sq) now - 12 weeks in almost finished. Builder is going to rent it off me for 3 months and use as a display GF. Which is good so will give me time to find tenant.

No bad experience yet though if you make any variation have to add 30% builders cost on top. ie I added a security door - should have done it myself.

30%?? That is ridiculous

I'm trying to decide whether to build a granny flat on my IP. It's a 795sqm block R20, proposed R25. Reportedly two years off rezoning change. My property is in the centre of the photo. I think I would put granny flat behind existing metal carport. I'd like to keep options open to subdivide once zoning changes.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 91
I'm building on a 700sqm block. Total cost will be $130k and initial rent will be $300 week.

One cost to look out for is bin hire. Council is charging $600 a year to add a bin for the GF tenant.

I'm building on a 700sqm block. Total cost will be $130k and initial rent will be $300 week.

One cost to look out for is bin hire. Council is charging $600 a year to add a bin for the GF tenant.

Who are you building with. What was the cost breakdown. I'm sure people have got creative ideas regarding the bin charge. $600 seems really steep.

Gf

Disclaimer: I totally back this company as I work there:D But this is just my opinion. SGF is a new division which does not only tradition builds on-site but also transportable ones. Both are similar in price and have there pros and cons

http://www.summitgrannyflats.com.au/

Ive started the process of building a GF at Wanneroo for the same reason SunnyBill is, however I will do it abit different.

It will be transportable but will be the same shape as a traditional GF. Normal transportables are long & skinny as it fits on 1 truck. Mine will be made in 2 parts and I will build on-site.

Ive got a VERY small budget so wont be going through traditional channels;)
I doing it as a Owner builder & manage /build myself, pulling every string I can & cashing in all favours Ive got.

Had 2nd unforseen cost today (1st was tree lopper smashing the fence) where my mate & I ripped out sewer pipe when excavating retaining....boys with BIG toys!

Will update as we go

Disclaimer: I totally back this company as I work there:D But this is just my opinion. SGF is a new division which does not only tradition builds on-site but also transportable ones. Both are similar in price and have there pros and cons

http://www.summitgrannyflats.com.au/

Ive started the process of building a GF at Wanneroo for the same reason SunnyBill is, however I will do it abit different.

It will be transportable but will be the same shape as a traditional GF. Normal transportables are long & skinny as it fits on 1 truck. Mine will be made in 2 parts and I will build on-site.

Ive got a VERY small budget so wont be going through traditional channels;)
I doing it as a Owner builder & manage /build myself, pulling every string I can & cashing in all favours Ive got.

Had 2nd unforseen cost today (1st was tree lopper smashing the fence) where my mate & I ripped out sewer pipe when excavating retaining....boys with BIG toys!

Will update as we go

It will be great to follow your build. What is your overall budget?.

I'm interested in build a modular granny flat as well. Has anyone any details they'd care to share?

I'm in the process of contacting a couple of GF builders to get pricing and inclusions.

I have a property in Wilson that I'm sitting on (with the hope/understanding that the current R17.5/R30 zoning will change to R40 at some time in the medium term future). Current house is old (1970s) but rentable, so I'm looking for a way to add cash flow.

I've made some assumptions so far:

1 - Turnkey build price approx $140k. Interest at 5% ($7000/Year)
2 - Rental of a 2x1 GF approx$320/week ($16640/Year)
3 - Additional rates/insurance/outgoings approx ($3000/Year)
4 - Cash flow positive to the tune of $6000

Does that all sound reasonable?

But then what happens after the lot is rezoned?

When lot is rezoned, do the sums on a full fledged development? As the GF will be modular, I envisage that I could either sell or relocate it. Factoring in depreciation and cash flow, I'm guessing it may break even after 10 years.

Lots of unknowns I know.... Just seeing if there's any sanity to my reasoning.

Back