Granny flats

Based on what data?
They supply 29-59sqm units with high quality inclusions. Also, without further investigation we don't know if this is owner build or lock-up price

In any case it is the usual "you get what you pay for". Sure you can get them cheaper but would people want to rent them and if so would they pay the rent you want?

"Seems a little pricey" is a bit of a generalisation as the price depends on many factors. What you should be looking for as a purchaser is value for money or as an investor, return on investment.

They look nice, certainly nicer than the clad box on stilts that many GF's are built as.

Brazen from here (granny flat approvals) does turnkey 2br GF's for a bit under that in brick veneer and tile.

$120k seems like a lot to shell out just so they can save for a deposit. wouldn't they be better to lend them the $120k as the deposit?

If you going to pay 120k for one might aswell put that down as a deposit on a 400-500k house, even saving $30k would be enough for a house better than living in a granny flat.

$120k seems like a lot to shell out just so they can save for a deposit. wouldn't they be better to lend them the $120k as the deposit?

I wonder if they plan on renting out the granny flat after their daughter and son in law moves out?

I've got some friends in Sydney whove just done this. Granny flat was more like a small house, two bedroom. The figures were $150,000 completed. They reckon they will get $400 per week rent? The rent seems a little high to me, but what would I know? I live in the bush.

They already had a small narrow block. Too narrow to make it a battle-axe block, so they've just cut off a section of yard up the back and plonked this small house down with street parking and a narrow pathway past the existing house for access. Seems to be popular as they reckon heaps are doing it.

I personally reckon it's all crazy, but if people want to live like that then fine. I suppose it's the way things are now?

See ya's.

Those granny flats are made overseas and shipped here. So they custom designs are not an option.

If you're building a granny flat, you want to maximise the space and not have massive unusable gaps. I've seen some modular ones and the amount of wasted space is too much for my liking. The key to maximising rent is land efficiency.

For $80-90k, you can customise your own granny flat which is built to your specifications, so $120k for a modular design is pretty expensive in my opinion.

They look nice, certainly nicer than the clad box on stilts that many GF's are built as.

Brazen from here (granny flat approvals) does turnkey 2br GF's for a bit under that in brick veneer and tile.

Brick veneer would have a smaller internal floor plan due to the cavity than a clad or blueboarded construction type with no real benefits to offset that unless you like the looks of the bricks of course. If you're tying it in with an existing building this is important.

Back